Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Obsidian joins The Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Jason, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Jasongender: ⚧ chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

According to <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62354" target="blank">Shack News</a>, Obsidian has signed on for an adaption of Robert Jordan's <b><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time" target="blank">Wheel of Time</a></b> series.
    <br>
    <blockquote>Fallout: New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2 developer Obsidian Entertainment will join Red Eagle Games in working on its video game adaptations of Robert Jordan's acclaimed fantasy novel series 'The Wheel of Time,' the pair announced today.
    <br>
    <br>
    "The Wheel of Time is one of the greatest and well-received fantasy series of all time," said Obsidian chief creative officer Chris Avellone. "Games set in Robert Jordan's universe have the chance to deliver on the epic storylines and the complex characters that the series is known for - and this is one of Obsidian's strengths. It's a natural fit." Obsidian was founded by veterans of Fallout and Planescape: Torment dev Black Isle.
    <br>
    <br>
    Red Eagle Games has been planning to make a Wheel of Time MMORPG as well as tie-in games for the movies its parent company Red Eagle Entertainment is making.</blockquote>
    <br>
    Now let's all get on our knees and pray to Jesus or Allah or Satan that Obsidian won't be going anywhere near that MMORPG.
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com/">Shack News</A>

^ Top  
  2. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :shock: That was unexpected.

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again deuxherogender: ⚧ Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    Can anyone sum up the series?

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  5. The Feral Kidgender: ⚧ Erudite

The Feral Kid
    Parrots:
    So it is a MMORPG after all, and Obsidian is just doing some coding. Move along, nothing to see here.

^ Top  
  6. oldmanpacogender: ⚧ Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Parrots:
    Does anyone still care about WoT? I don't see how this game will sell. Unless of course its awesome but what are the odds of that?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Exargender: ⚧ Liturgist

The Exar
    Parrots:
    50:50

^ Top  
  8. Perfect Foolgender: ⚧ Scholar

Perfect Fool
    Parrots:
    How can CA calmly lie through his teeth like that? TWoT is a generic, boring, longwinded pile of shit. I can read crappy books if I've got nothing better to do to keep myslef busy, but even I failed to get more than three books into that pile of crap before giving up.

Just to put it into context as to how well I can deal with awful writing if I want to, I once managed to struggle through a David Eddings series when I was a teeneger and I had to stay with my grandparents for a fortnight, so I can put up with some pretty apalling crap. Saying that Jordan's shit is "one of the greatest and well-received fantasy series of all time," is a slur on the genre (which, admittedly is not full of literary gold, but there is some worthwhile stuff about if you dig deeply enough)

edit: need an additinal LOL at Jordan apparently writing "complex characters". Can anyone name one of them for me, please? I must have missed them.

^ Top  
  9. Brother Nonegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Parrots:
    Meh. I've seen worse fantasy pulp than WoT, but it's still just fantasy pulp.

I thought the IP was still pretty popular.

^ Top  
  10. crakkiegender: ⚧ Cipher

crakkie
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  11. MetalCrazegender: ⚧ Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    With Bioware starting to work on SWTOR it was only a matter of time before Bioware Junior will follow.

^ Top  
  12. Sartar__gender: ⚧ Novice

Sartar__
    Parrots:
    A proper WOT RPG on the computer would be awesome. It is a very different world to the standard ones in fantasy games. It's not Medieval, doesn't have Elves or Dwarves, has a large number of cultures over large distances and has a lot of politics. The concept of magic and prophecies surrounding The Dragon are interesting.

The first three books in the series are well recommended.

Unfortunate that it is only a MMO.

^ Top  
  13. Erebusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Erebus
    Parrots:
    Don't forget to mention the WoT has plenty of naked women being held on a leash or whipped. That should bring in the buyers.

^ Top  
  14. Tardvaporgender: ⚧ Novice

Tardvapor
    Parrots:
    ...or at least the Goreans.

^ Top  
  15. Ausirgender: ⚧ Arcane

Ausir
    Parrots:
    Read the fucking thing. This isn't a MMO. They plan to make an MMO in the future as well, but for now they're making a single-player game with Obsidian.

^ Top  
  16. VentilatorOfDoomgender: ⚧ RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
  17. Sartar__gender: ⚧ Novice

Sartar__
    Parrots:
    Thanks. It doesn't say what kind of game they want to make.

But why choose Obsidian?

^ Top  
  18. Pseudofoolgender: ⚧ Scholar

Pseudofool
    Parrots:
    Sounds like the developmental details will still be left up to Obsidian, which I think will be a good thing. Obsidian does a lot of small things well to develop narrative and character, IMO.

^ Top  
  19. Joragender: ⚧ Arcane

Jora
    Parrots:
    Obsidian is the most qualified company in the industry to develop an RPG.

^ Top  
  20. .Sigurdgender: ⚧ Educated

.Sigurd
    Parrots:
    Hahahah [​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. Dicksmokergender: ⚧ Arcane

Dicksmoker
    Parrots:
    Holy shit, that's about the last thing I was expecting.

^ Top  
  22. Andhairagender: ⚧ Arcane

Andhaira
    Parrots:
    You guys are missing one thing: The games will be built around the movies.

That means the games will be like the LOTR games by EA for the LOTR movies. In other words, action games.

They will suck.

^ Top  
  23. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    In before Skywa... oh fuck it nevermind.

Also apparently it is an Action/RPG... like our beloved Mass Effect 2.... r00fles!

^ Top  
  24. Azrael the catgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    Ok, this shot straight to number one on my 'anticipated games' list. I can't imagine how Obsidian could play to their strengths any better.

For those who aren't away, the WoT books are an interminably long series of novels, the first and best few of which range from completely mediocre to kind of decent for pulp fantasy. The series just goes on and on like a US tv show (i.e. just keeps going as long as it sells vs the UK model of having a fixed run with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end). Ultimately it either never gets completed, or kind of gets half finished in a petered out way.

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Obsidian can 'not finish' a game better than other developer I know of. They can set up a whole lot of intricate characters, with plans about how their character stories will intersect and meet for a coherent over-arching theme, and then not get around to implementing it and leaving the material on the cd for a bunch of modding groups to slowly add in pieces until interest eventually runs out many years later.

And it will be entirely faithful to the source material!

The only way this could be any better would be for some really good developer to do a series of AWESOME Dune games, then go broke and sell the licence to a company that tries really hard but just ends up turning the next 5 Dune games into consolised shit.

^ Top  
  25. Lesifoeregender: ⚧ Liturgist

Lesifoere
    Parrots:
    A++ Azrael, will lol again.

(Oh shit, I just noticed the Valentine's Day Codex header.)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)