Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian got fucked by Bethesda

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, couldnt they, like, make up some fake reviews to get this bonus? Actually isnt that the normal practice with those reviews? Just shell out some dollars...

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I still find it amazing that Bethesda commissioned a Fallout game to Obsidian at all. Where did that even come from?

:hearnoevil:: Hey Pete, there is one thing about Fallout 3 that bothers me... how happened we succeeded on selling it to everyone but the Fallout fantard market base we were supposed to sell it in the first place?

:balance:: Simple, Todd, they hate everything which doesn't have some Black Isle alumni's name slapped over it.

:hearnoevil:: So what if we find some ex-Black Isle guys and repackage Fallout 3 slapping their names over it? Speaking of which, the new Fallout 3 fanbase will be happy to buy it a second time too.

:balance:: GJ Todd. *dialing*

:mca:: Will work for food!

:codexisfor: :codexisfor::codexisfor::codexisfor::codexisfor:: We've got our real Fallout back! With dialogues! Nevermind it's the exact same shooter as before...

:balance:: Bingo!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man fuck bethesda. I thought skyrim actually fell into the "good for what it is" category, but i ain't standin for that shit. Obsidian made those fuckers insane money and now have to downsize. Fuck Bethesda, I got a pipe bomb with their name on it. It's the only true way to LARP that fallout shit anyways. Maybe Todd Howard wants to be a ghoul? I'm done with those fucks, and special props to Obsidian's professionalism for not being chodes about it. Got insane respect for them now. True bros. Also Fuck Bethesda. I stood up for them b4, but its done. Never again. FUUUUUUUCK that!

:hero:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Honestly, I can't believe Obsidian let themselves be suckered into such an obvious raw deal. Tying your potential profits to such a fucking random factor instead of actual sales?

racofer

Thread Incliner
That's what happens when you waste money on hiring people like Tim Cain instead of diverting that bugget into bribe money for review sites.

GreyViper

Prophet
Im somewhat curious, they didnt let the fans know about that deal, hell we could have pitched in and given our vote. Since I dont visit metacritic, well unless it was the DA2 thing. Sad new, hope they pull out.

Renegen

Arcane
Some of the comments in the story are the usual hilarious stuff:
Exactly. That is completely what caused the lower score. It is an excellent game, but it was close to a year on some platforms before it was actually playable. That is not going to get you a good score. And for anyone bitching about the deal: Obsidian AGREED to it. Bethesda didn't force them at gunpoint into it. Their arrogance and inability to deliver a functioning product on time (or anywhere close to it), caused them to lose the bonus. Nothing else. Personally I hate to see them go. I loved KOTOR II, New Vegas, and Dungeon Siege III.

Like Fallout 3 didn't have bugs, but of course these people are incapable of thinking for themselves. The reviewers had to find problems to give sub-85 scores and they blamed Obsidian for Bethesda problems. Therefore, according to the fans, it's Obsidian's problem!

Fens

Ford of the Llies
if the choice is "get paid a bit and then rely on possible royalties maybe some time in the future" or "get paid fully now and get a bonus cookie if the metacritic score hits 85", i understand the decision... still sucks, though

dextermorgan

Arcane
Im somewhat curious, they didnt let the fans know about that deal, hell we could have pitched in and given our vote. Since I dont visit metacritic, well unless it was the DA2 thing. Sad new, hope they pull out.
Nope, the main Metacritic score is derived only from scores given by prestigious gaming sites like Kotaku and IGN. I can't wait for the next industry crash.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
84 metacrirtic, 5 million sales, no royalties. Goddamn heinous. I will fuck Bethesda with a 2ft dildo. Trust me , I have connections(bad ones really bad), and this shit won't go unpunished. Inexcusable. I dare that fuck rod howard to post here. I dont mind jail, but i bet he likes his face. Millions won't save him from me. He better run scared like a hopscotch girl. THat shit stain is done. :hmmm:

Morkar Left

Using metacritic as a measure for a successful developed game and bind contracts to it is one of the most stupid things I read in a while about the gaming industry.

:hero:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Bethesda better watch out.

LcjpY.jpg

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Why did MCA delete his tweet?

Oops,someone forgot his NDA

This is why Triple-A retail game development sucks. Time for Obsidian going the Double Fine route, that is split into several smaller teams and only make downloadable games from now on.

Considering how they cancel one project after another it's likely soon they won't have another option,just like Schafer

Grimlorn

Arcane
Yeah I think it's interesting that this is getting news now, but MCA is probably in trouble for tweeting that. Now we'll just never hear about stuff like this again, although I'm sure it's a standard industry practice.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I think it's interesting that this is getting news now, but MCA is probably in trouble for tweeting that. Now we'll just never hear about stuff like this again, although I'm sure it's a standard industry practice.
Since I'm pretty slow... what did I miss?

As hard as it is going to be for Obsidian, but working for them must be a real pain in the ass right about now (if they didn't fire you yesterday of course). I mean by all means Bethesda screwed them, but having someone above you that lets stuff like this happen to your company blows too. It's time Obsidian gets some people into their folder that actually know how to handle this shithole called "video game industry" so they can have a piece of the cake for themselves.

I bet these Bethesda motherfuckers spent more money on making sure that the game gets a 84 than they would have to give to Obsidian if they had made a perfect game...

Stabwound

Arcane
MCA was the one that tweeted about how they got paid a straight fee for developing New Vegas and they got jewed because the bonus was based on the 85 metacritic score. It was out of anger and in response to the news of layoffs at Obsidian.

Yeah, he probably shouldn't have done that.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Ah okay, thanks for that. I'd be pretty enraged too though. Well, Kotaku mentioned that it was Microsoft who canned the North Carolina Project since they were the publisher all along. If that's true I'm wondering if both these incidents have something to do with each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom