Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Jason, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Click here and disable ads!
    I've played a bit of Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (gave up on it cause I could never really get the timing right and after a while it just became a necessity to dodge everything) but from that and some vids I watched of Paper Mario 64 I don't remember there being any positioning in those games, you could actually move around a map?
    ^ Top  
  2. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Nah, I think the "they've exploded recently" line shows babby should be asleep instead of posting about that 2D thingie of the past popping up all of a sudden. He even tries to add the good old "I played many games bro, since the NES bro" but...nah. It's another bad case of the babbys.
    ^ Top  
  3. Kill Do Educated

Kill Do
    ^ Top  
  4. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Wow the comments in that article get more rage inducing everyday

^ Top  
  5. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Makes you wonder about the age of these gamers and how they would explain FO3 somehow being better/more fun than FO:NV. Strange this person actually put cdprojekt together with bethesda and bioware as the "good" game makers, weird stuff man. Hope the publishers don't pay any attention to this shit.
    ^ Top  
  6. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    It gets better!

^ Top  
  7. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    No offense intended, but this seems about right. Add to this the comments from the next-gen, and it's plain to see that Obs successfully manages to alienate both the console kiddies and the rpg-enthusiasts time and time again. Maybe their heart is in the right place, but the brain is in the publishing department -- fair enough, it's an excuse. A savvy businessman would figure out, though, the pointlessness in trying to cater to two very different markets at once using the same product. South Park RPG is like the embodiment of two foreign entities, naturally repelled by each other, but forced to share the same space by a mad scientist; if it doesn't burst from within, spilling pus and projectile vomiting all over the place, it's still a monster to be shunned by civilized society.

I'd like to see what Obs could do with an original franchise and money enough to just muck about with it, I really would. But I can't even tell if the potential is there, because so far all they have released has been utter garbage.
    ^ Top  
  8. Qwertilot Novice

Qwertilot
    Just a little! Front/back in the 'party' of two and enemies in the air/ground. (In the thousand year door anyway.).

Not Kings bounty and the like no :) But still you can die if careless/just about have to think a tiny bit at times etc.
    ^ Top  
  9. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    We're talking light-hearted adventure game here, the RPG part of the title is a misnomer. Mario RPG/ Paper Mario is story driven narrative with a few puzzles and easily manageable combat encounters scattered about. You can gut these games entirely by removing events and characters, I mean you have literally like nothing left but menus for game-play when you're done. I don't know what that says about SPRPG though.
    ^ Top  
  10. Rivmusique Liturgist Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Well if 1eyedking says so...

:retarded:
    ^ Top  
  11. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    moar like skywayking amirite
    ^ Top  
  12. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Why is he trying so hard ? They DONT DELIVER CUSTOM TAGS anymore. No matter how hard you try , no matter your efforts oneyeking you wont have the dumbfuck tag , those are remnants of another glorious era.
    ^ Top  
  13. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    Eh, I wouldn't say never...
    ^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/39031/An ... 1_2013.php

:M
    ^ Top  
  15. circ Arcane

circ
    SO MUCH FOR DAWN OF WAR 3.
    ^ Top  
  16. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Then what? He's not wrong, Obs hasn't exactly made any good games so far.
    ^ Top  
  17. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Great news.
    ^ Top  
  18. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Good, maybe now Double Fine will self-publish and stop agreeing to these 'no PC versions for a year' stipulations.
    ^ Top  
  19. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  
  20. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Thats not really that much a problem here. They can just find a new publisher in this case after all.
    ^ Top  
  21. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    1. Many people on the codex (and everywhere else) disagree.
    2. The codex (and you) may whine but judging the quality of games can not be done objectively*. "Right" and "wrong" simply do not work. You can "agree" or "disagree". Any comment "this game is shit" can only be taken as "I consider this game to be shit", everything else is nonsense.
    3. He was just so over the top with his judgement that even I, certainly not a fan of Obsidian, could only shake my head. That kind of non-differentiating absolutism cannot and should not be taken seriously by anybody.

*You can discuss various aspects of games more or less objectively, but for the "whole game" everybody'd have to agree on what constitutes "good" quality. Since our likes, dislikes and preferences differ that isn't possible.
    ^ Top  
  22. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    I'm aware of this. But he's not wrong, they haven't made any particularly good games. You're welcome to enjoy them and disagree with his statement, but he's not wrong.

A consensus doesn't make it any more objective. There are many communities out there who're in love with terrible games. If one of these communities was the only survivor of a nuclear holocaust, their favorite games still wouldn't be good when considered objectively.
    ^ Top  
  23. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Fun fact: 1eyedking is the the reason why I spent almost 2 years playing Final Fantasy 7.

He's a big wuss and therefore disqualified from everything.
    ^ Top  
  24. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    That I can agree with.
    That
    for every game, I cannot.
    Of course consensus is a neccessity for objectivity. If you cannot agree on criteria to judge by, if you cannot agree what constitutes "good" or "bad" implementation of said criteria you can't do anything but agree to disagree with no side being closer to an objective judgement than the other.
    Two examples:
    1. RT vs TB: While people who like RT can argue over the quality of the implementation of RT in a certain game or people who like TB can argue about the quality of its implementation in another game both with some semblance of objectivity, it's no use and certainly not objective if a RT lover calls every TB game "total shit" and vice versa.
    2. Bugs: While everybody agrees that they're bad, the amount and severeness that are acceptable differ from person to person.

In 1. there is no global consensus about the criterion and in 2. there's no global consensus about when the quality becomes "bad". Since games have far more aspects which can all be disagreed upon any claim to objectivity is preposterous. As long as you can explain why you like/dislike a game, you have a valid opinion, but nothing more. Just because you consider whatever game you thought of in your example as bad and think that you can "objectively" rationalize your opinion, does not mean that its fans (have to) share your criteria for judging it or, if they do share some with you, that they'd agree on the emphasis you put on them or the way you judged them.
    Doesn't mean one cannot argue, doesn't mean one side can't have a broader horizon than the other and thus a better foundation for their opinion, doesn't mean the other side cannot come to see things your way, doesn't mean that one side or the other doesn't simply ignore certain facts, but in the end there can't be any objective judgement of taste.
    ^ Top  
  25. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    :brofist:

For instance, even though Arcanum is in my top 10, I would find it perfectly understandable if someone called Arcanum a barely playable piece of shit because of the right reasons. I liked and endured the game despite all the flaws. Good parts were that good to me. Even ignoring the flaws, the good might not feel that good to somebody else.

The likes of VD would disagree, of course, for such have found the ultimate universal truth and have no qualms about enforcing it to the best of their abilities.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)