Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 48 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian going down to South Park

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Jason, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    SP is hit'n'miss, OK, but throughout the years Parker & Stone have in my opinion proven to be extremely intelligent and funny satirists, with genuine musical talent, too. I still remember plots of some of the best episodes, these were little masterpieces of animated narrative. And Obsidian seems to be the only game development company which has the intellectual capacity to create a good game based on the series. For me it's great news - as for RPGs, of course I'd prefer KotC 2, but that's another thing.
    ^ Top  
  2. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I know what Hitler would say about this....
    ^ Top  
  3. nihil Savant

nihil
    Project: Eternity
    But why would they hire a company like Obsidian to develop a JRPG-style game? They have no experience with that at all, as far as I know.
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Who else would they hire? Obsidian is the one RPG developer that will do anything provided you pay. Besides, anyone can develop a JRPG parody. they just have to get the South Park "feel" right, and that's why the creators are in the project.
    ^ Top  
  5. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Should just use Onyx for the SP RPG
    ^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It is using the Onyx engine.
    ^ Top  
  7. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I don't see the point in debating whether or not the game makes sense financially. I doubt many people here deny the right of developers to earn a living. That said, as players, we couldn't care less so long as they earn enough to stay in business. Even then, does it matter? I mentioned this in an older thread discussing Obsidian but to paraphrase: you can't ride your name forever. It's been about a decade since they produced anything really good. Yeah, a certain amount of Codexers loved New Vegas. Personally I thought it was mediocre at best. Granted they were fighting an uphill battle using Bethesda's assets but, again, the argument always seems to be how good Obsidian is in theory or that, but for X, Y, and Z, they'd be good.

For the employees it's certainly a good thing they remain financially successful. For the players it doesn't matter if all they keep making are profitable games that are creatively bankrupt. Obsidian fans here fool themselves into thinking that stuff like DS3 and South Park will be used to fund the 'real' Obsidian titles that are no doubt planned for the future. I've got news for you: they aren't coming. DS3 is followed by South Park and South Park will probably be followed by My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or, if they're really lucky, maybe they'll get to do a Skyrim DLC.

As for the South Park game and its RPG elements... I would be amazed if it gets close to the level of Costume Quest (which wasn't bad... for a $15 game). Anyone expecting a game even remotely close to what Obsidian did a decade or so ago is delusional.
    ^ Top  
  8. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I dunno. Out of these points, the only one that makes me think "jrpg" is the "Summon System", and even then the writer himself isn't sure.

I mean, jrpgs and unskippable cutscenes go hand in hand, and they've been using voiced protagonists for a while.
    ^ Top  
  9. gromit Arcane

gromit
    5/5 2/5 (and a sincere :salute:)
    ^ Top  
  10. Rivmusique Liturgist Patron

Rivmusique
    :lol:
    ^ Top  
  11. nihil Savant

nihil
    Project: Eternity
    A parody, maybe, but not a good JRPG. Not even the Japanese can do that, nowadays.
    ^ Top  
  12. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    When they said they were working on a leading animation franchise i was thinking about stuff like death note , full metal alchimist, anime a bit more mature than usual .
    They could have made another good Jrpg, after all obsidian has quite some experience on them ,kotor 2 and planescape tormentto name them , such moving story (yet linear) and characters, pre generated characters except the main one and even its really restricted. Planescape is the jrpg with the best writing ever .
    My only hope is after south park rpg , they could start their own ip or something a bit more closer to our taste . That means we wont see anything good from obsidian before a few years , if ever at all.
    Although if they stay on the leading animation franchises ill settle on ponyo the rpg.
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  13. kris Arcane

kris
    I want Barbie to play with me. :(
    ^ Top  
  14. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Ponyo? No way. Porco Rosso would be a lot better.

... with turn-based 3D aerial combat!
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    So, since Jaeson kindly deleted my thread about this, here it is again. Details from the game vida NeoGAF via Game Informer.

^ Top  
  16. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Ya it's been posted earlier in this thread.

Also, I am warming up to the idea slowly. And there will be other games as well, not all is lost.

As for the Barbie RPG, I already know someone who would like to play it over here.. Konjad :x
    ^ Top  
  17. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Really? I was looking for it, but couldn't find the post, that's why I posted it again. Oh well.
    ^ Top  
  18. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    I want a My Little Pony RPG.
    ^ Top  
  19. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Feargus interview about the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... k-rpg.aspx

And a post from the comments:
    I just put this here because the retardation level is off the fucking charts.
    ^ Top  
  20. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Yeah...
    ^ Top  
  21. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Dude silent kill I think your forgetting that kotor 2 was only good because of how great kotor 1 is, other than that I totally agree
    ^ Top  
  22. Black Arcane

Black
    I like you, you're funny.
    ^ Top  
  23. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    On first thought I'd rather play DS3-like action combat than a JRPG (aka attrition borefest with no positional strategy). But I've never played Paper Mario and I've heard good things. Any validity to that?
    ^ Top  
  24. Qwertilot Novice

Qwertilot
    Think so. Its basically turn based combat with a big rhythm action element and a few intriguing bits. (inc a little positional strategy.). Very far from the worst combat system ever seen.
    ^ Top  
  25. Nael Magister

Nael
    That has to be sarcasm....
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)