Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Shevek

Arcane
10 hours was pretty much what I was expecting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feargus says they have 4 projects going on at Obsidian (at the time of the talk, May 26th, at least :M )
AW, Pathfinder card game, PoE expansion/sequel, and the announced unannounced new IP?

The card game is not theirs (and even if it was, I don't think he'd count a non-video game as a "project")

EDIT: Derp

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Feargus says they have 4 projects going on at Obsidian (at the time of the talk, May 26th, at least :M )
AW, Pathfinder card game, PoE expansion/sequel, and the announced unannounced new IP?

The card game is not theirs (and even if it was, I don't think he'd count a non-video game as a "project")
You're thinking of the PoE card game because I said card game, not video card game or however else you'd describe it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry, that's what happens when you multitask.

Feargus says Interplay in the 90s was a super aggressive place. Lots of fighting and shouting required to get what you wanted from upper management

He says years later Herve Caen said he'd heard he was an aggressive bastard because of what he did in the 90s, lol

Feargus says he got a super-duper nasty phone call from somebody during South Park's development, "one of the worst in his career", but he'd learned to deal with that by then

Wonder who that was

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
It's planned to be 10 hours long, and they originally planned to make 10 areas, which Feargus estimates take half an hour each to play through.
soooo ... 10 areas half hour each makes it 5 hours and another 5 hours will be loading screens as expected?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There was a funny anecdote about the editor for the original Fallout games at the beginning. Apparently it had no copy-paste functionality at all and every single tile in the first game was laid manually by Scott Everts.

Feargus doesn't actually say whether they added copy-paste for the sequel, but they only found out about the limitation then. :P

Feargus says PoE took in between 5 and 5.5 million dollars from Kickstarter + preorders, 110,000 backers

Pretty impressive post-Kickstarter numbers.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Feargus says PoE took in between 5 and 5.5 million dollars from Kickstarter + preorders, 110,000 backers

Pretty impressive post-Kickstarter numbers.
That's a good RoI. Assuming a 10 person team costing OE approximately 75k a year per person.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Feargus says there was a period, during PoE's development "about six months in" when "things were not going well, areas looked like crap, the engine was running super poorly". Relearning how to do an IE-style game was harder than they anticipated. It sounds like it was kind of dramatic.

Feargus says "he had to learn what an SJW is" during the Firedorn crisis, haha

He doesn't seem to regret the purple backer NPCs, though. :M Only the gravestones.

Feargus says they have 95 people working on Armored Warfare. Holy crap, that's most of the company

He says the company is currently divided into "Armored Warfare" and "everything else", organizationally

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Feargus says they have 95 people working on Armored Warfare. Holy crap, that's most of the company
So only 10 people worked on PoE? Why do i even ask,that's a lot of people for such a failure..

No. You can just look at the credits, you know http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Developers

Obsidian has around 160 people these days, according to Duraframe.
Keep in mind number of people who worked on a game is different from number of people working on the game at once. Being a large company Obsidian had some freedom in moving people in and out of the project, I doubt the team size was ever more than 25.

That's why we in CIS countries hate mail.ru. Everything they touch becomes stained.
MCA just escaped mail.ru's force grip.
First I wanted to write "Is there CIS anymore?" But then I realised that it's a really fitting abbreviation, and the term "CIS-scum" really has another meaning, lol. We are the racial enemies of SJWs.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So only 10 people worked on PoE? Why do i even ask,that's a lot of people for such a failure..

No. You can just look at the credits, you know http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Developers

Obsidian has around 160 people these days, according to Duraframe.
Keep in mind number of people who worked on a game is different from number of people working on the game at once. Being a large company Obsidian had some freedom in moving people in and out of the project, I doubt the team size was ever more than 25.
I thought there was a 2014 Feargus quote where he put the total size of OE around 160? Regardless, your point is valid. They shuffle people around and teams aren't static.

That's why we in CIS countries hate mail.ru. Everything they touch becomes stained.
MCA just escaped mail.ru's force grip.
First I wanted to write "Is there CIS anymore?" But then I realised that it's a really fitting abbreviation, and the term "CIS-scum" really has another meaning, lol. We are the racial enemies of SJWs.
Wow, I totally didn't know what CIS means in US, lol. I meant post-soviet countries, but it makes my post even funnier.

Athelas

Arcane
There was a funny anecdote about the editor for the original Fallout games at the beginning. Apparently it had no copy-paste functionality at all and every single tile in the first game was laid manually by Scott Everts.

Feargus doesn't actually say whether they added copy-paste for the sequel, but they only found out about the limitation then. :P
Maybe the secret to making great RPG's is technical limitations that force you hand-craft everything? :philosoraptor:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom