Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
List of Obsidian projects:

1. Delaware - Knights of the Old Republic II
2. Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights 2
3. New Jersey - Dwarfs (Cancelled)
4. Georgia - Alpha Protocol
5. Connecticut - Aliens: Crucible (Cancelled)
6. Massachusetts - Mask of the Betrayer
7. Maryland - Dungeon Siege III
8. South Carolina - Storm of Zehir
9. New Hampshire - Fallout: New Vegas
10. Virginia - Xbox Live Arcade Action-RPG (Cancelled)
11. New York - South Park: The Stick of Truth
12. North Carolina - Stormlands (Cancelled)
13. Rhode Island - ???
14. Vermont - Tyranny
15. Kentucky - Prey 2 (Cancelled)
16. Tennessee - Pathfinder Adventures
17. Ohio - Armored Warfare
18. Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity II
19. Indiana - The Outer Worlds
20. Mississippi - ???
21. Illinois - ???
22. Alabama - Avowed
23. Maine - Grounded
24. Missouri - Pentiment
25. Arkansas - The Outer Worlds 2

3. Trenton - Pillars of Eternity

----------------------

With the hire of Ken Le Saint as a 3D Artist (Portfolio: Here) Obsidian is back at 120 people according to Linkedin (Which isn't too accurate, but a good measurment for hiring people). With this they are back at around pre-march layoffs 2012 level that cost 20-30 people their jobs (Including resident George Ziets).

And apparently in a better finiancial situation too, considering they have a full workload at the moment (SP, Next-Gen RPG, Project: Eternity, russian money from the services provided for Skyforge).

:mca:

:yeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You just jinxed it by posting this thread, jerk.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If they sever all ties to shit publishers like EA and focus on kickstarter games, they'll be fine.

DragoFireheart

120 employees and only Kickstarter.... does not compute.

I could be a betting man and claim that one kickstarter would yield them more profits than making a game for a publisher. They got nearly 4 million from that one kickstarter project.

What's to stop them from having other kickstarter projects?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
120 employees and only Kickstarter.... does not compute.

I could be a betting man and claim that one kickstarter would yield them more profits than making a game for a publisher. They got nearly 4 million from that one kickstarter project.

What's to stop them from having other kickstarter projects?

It's not exactly an achievement to make more than zero profit.

BTW Obsidian has never actually worked with EA

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If there is indeed an influx of publisher interest in old school cRPG's, I wouldn't mind Obsidian trying out that path. Not for a bunch of sequels or spiritual successors, though, but rather something new (where there is less novelty value to fish buck from KS).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there is indeed an influx of publisher interest in old school cRPG's, I wouldn't mind Obsidian trying out that path. Not for a bunch of sequels or spiritual successors, though, but rather something new (where there is less novelty value to fish buck from KS).
120 employees, relying only on KS money AND solely original IP? Does not compute even more.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
120 employees, relying only on KS money AND solely original IP? Does not compute even more.

What? I didn't say that?

Just that I wouldn't mind seeing them make an old school cRPG (that isn't a sequel) with a publisher .

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That clearly didn't stop me from reading it! QUIT BEING CONFUSING!!!

(Seriously sorry, a reading comprehension fail on my part)

ColCol

Arcane
The way karma works you now ensured something worse will happen than just future layoffs, like a plane will crash into their building or some shit. Sawyer will survive of course because dying is such a human thing and he will go on to create the bicycle racing rpg he always wanted.

evdk

Patron
The way karma works you now ensured something worse will happen than just future layoffs, like a plane will crash into their building or some shit. Sawyer will survive of course because dying is such a human thing and he will go on to create the bicycle racing rpg he always wanted.
MCA should actually survive that and then spend two days wandering aimlessly around the crash site, missing all the rescue workers and dying of exposure.

Destroid

Arcane
At 120 employees I'm sure their burn rate can't be far off (or in excess of) 1 million USD per month, they would need to do a lot of kickstarters to last until Eternity is finished.

DragoFireheart

At 120 employees I'm sure their burn rate can't be far off (or in excess of) 1 million USD per month, they would need to do a lot of kickstarters to last until Eternity is finished.

What?

If the average salary at Obsidian is 50,000, that would be $6,000,000 per year to pay the employees. So, that 3 mill could cover them for a good 5-6 months.

We're also not taking into account any of their own assets they may have saved up to help them weather tough economic times. I doubt Obsidian needs all 120 people working on that game.

evdk

Patron
What?

If the average salary at Obsidian is 50,000, that would be $6,000,000 per year to pay the employees. So, that 3 mill could cover them for a good 5-6 months.

We're also not taking into account any of their own assets they may have saved up to help them weather tough economic times. I doubt Obsidian needs all 120 people working on that game.

Rent. Utilities. Taxes. Other expenses. Come on.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So... when does that South Park RPG come out? :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom