Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion must have mods.

Luzur

Good Sir
no mods can save Oblivion.

maybe a total engine remake mod.

DraQ

Arcane
Luzur said:
no mods can save Oblivion.

maybe a total engine remake mod.
Engine is the least of its problems, but maybe a TC into something resembling actual TES, plus extensive use of script extenders to circumvent and expand existing skill system, complete overhaul of the mechanics, deletion or replacement of all dialogues plus content replacers including many new world meshes, textures, face replacers and workarounds to introduce racial characteristics into the models...

Eh, who am I kidding - it would probably be possible, but making the game fromn scratch would probably be less work.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Modding Oblivion into something you need to play is like video editing Highlander 2 into a great must-see movie.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
jancobblepot said:
No Fast Travel
See, I'm not sure I get the appeal of this. Some people say that fast travel is unrealistic, turns the game into a sequence of teleports, etc., but considering how much time is already spent just walking aimlessly through the wilderness, and how empty and bland it is once the initial "wow factor" of the visuals wears off, why would you want to force yourself to go through it all over again every time someone gives you a stupid fetch quest? For the respawning enemies? The completely generic loot? The admittedly nice soundtrack courtesy of industry veteran Jeremy Soule?

In a game like Fallout, there's no fast travel, but that's because getting anywhere you need to go takes a matter of seconds, or minutes at most. In Oblivion, walking around pretty much is the game, and all the quests, combat etc. exist as trimming around the hiking you'll do. It might be more "realistic" to have to walk around, but I can tell you it'll probably also be about 10x more boring. And no, I don't see how a Stilt Strider is any better, it just means you have to do more hiking to a certain spot and memorise all the different travel routes you need to take, or use an FAQ. Doesn't strike me as any more fun or immersive.

DraQ

Arcane
sea said:
jancobblepot said:
No Fast Travel
See, I'm not sure I get the appeal of this. (...) In Oblivion, walking around pretty much is the game

Explained.

Walking around helps add feeling of space and certain cost to travel. Travel services preserve it, point-n-click fast travel does not unless it comes with costs or risks directly implemented into mechanics (supply consumption, timed quests, random encounters). In oblivious there is no concept of distance from gameplay POV and it's reflected in quest structure with guild quests sending you back and forth across fucking continent willy-nilly.

Of course, walking around in oblivion is shitty too, but that's because the entire game is a turd.

In a game like Fallout, there's no fast travel
Wat.
:retarded:

Tif

Novice
I really enjoyed Oblivion with the OOO mod. I 'tried' to get FCOM running a few months ago, but to no avail. At the time there weren't updated instructions for newer versions of the different mods and whatnot, and getting it to work to begin with seemed like unstable wicked shaman magic anyways.

Regardless, it seems alot of people around here despised Oblivion, and I agree, I really don't enjoy a world that levels up with you. But OOO seemed to take care of that, and from what I can see FCOM to an even greater degree. With OOO it was quite enjoyable. I didn't like it as much as Morrowind. (I think I did everything there was to do in that game and the subsequent expansions) But good none the less.

tif

1eyedking

Erudite
There's nothing wrong with fast travel as long as it's done tastefully like in Fallout 1 & 2 and Arcanum.

Ermm

Erudite
sgc_meltdown said:
Modding Oblivion into something you need to play is like video editing Highlander 2 into a great must-see movie.

More like modding Oblivion into something you need to play is like video editing Highlander 5 into something remotely good as Highlander 2.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
DraQ said:
Wat.

There is? I don't think crossing around the world map with a possibility of encountering enemies counts as fast travel...

:what:

It's fast travel in the same sense travelling in Arcanum or Daggerfall using map is fast travel. That Fallout disallows any form of slow travel is irrelevant here, and fast travel involving some actual risk or cost is fast travel done right.

tl;dr
If it takes less real time (not game time) than travelling same distance on foot it's fast travel, bonus points if it's more automated or happens entirely on the map screen.

Varn

Educated
I think the main problem with Oblivion and the reason mods can't fix it is the fact the entire game is boring as fuck. You can't ever miss an enemy, the world is generic and bland, there's fuck all loot, the main quest is dreary, NPC's have nothing interesting to say, etc. etc.

I'm replaying Morrowind at the moment and it's quickly showed me the difference between a game that was flawed and could be made right with mods and a game like Oblivion that's just plain screwed. Morrowind is fucken' cool. You have to travel around on flying bugs, people call you N'wah and tell you to fuck off, there's sweet loot hidden in all the corners of the world, the enemies are varied and interesting and there's heaps of interesting quests and places to visit. The best way to describe it is Morrowind had a talking billionaire mudcrab while Oblivion had... a unicorn.

So yeah... it is a bit hard to describe exactly why Oblivion's so fucked, but if you're really after the hiking simulataor RPG experience then boot up Morrowind with a few mods and you'll have a far, far better experience. Oblivion just leads to wasted life.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DraQ said:
Wat.
I should clarify. In Oblivion, fast travel serves as a way to get from one place to another in a big, largely empty, but fully explorable world. Owing to how boring that world is, there is very little reason you'd want to actually spend significant amounts of time running around in it, unless, again, you find hiking in a videogame to be fun. I spent my share of time with the game, and there is a certain "what will I find over that next hill?" quality to it, but it wears off quickly once you realise there's nothing unique to see or do.

In Fallout, there is no "world", only a series of disconnected locations; the world map serves as a slightly more sophisticated menu screen to connect them all together, but otherwise there's nothing in between except for a few random encounters, which are flavourful, but hardly add much to the game and I don't really feel like I'd be missing out on all that much without them. You could say there's fast travel, but that's the only option there is - traversing the world map is a means to an end, to get you from A to B (and one gets the sense it was only put in the first Fallout for the sake of simulating the passage of time, which was initially a bigger part of the game than it really ended up being).

Arcanum is interesting because it does actually have a huge amount of terrain in between locations (I never figured out if it was randomly generated, hand-made or what), but it's also colossally boring and pointless for the most part, pretty much just there because, I don't know, why not? It's an unconventional take on the world map, but I'm not sure it really counts as "fast travel" when using the map to get from place to place really is the only viable way to play the game, on account of its map being so large.

jancobblepot

Educated
sea said:
jancobblepot said:
No Fast Travel
See, I'm not sure I get the appeal of this. (...) In Oblivion, walking around pretty much is the game

Actually it's very simple. I'm roleplaying, and I don't want to be a teleporting bastard. If some random NPC send me to the other side of province, I make a mental note and do it much later.
Long journeys should be tedious and dangerous (those fucking lions...).

Really, just head straight to The Shivering Isles and once that's done, uninstall. Only slightly interesting thing in the whole game, go Melancholy and not Manic though, depression 4lyfe.

DraQ

Arcane
sea said:
In Oblivion, fast travel serves as a way to get from one place to another in a big, largely empty, but fully explorable world. Owing to how boring that world is, there is very little reason you'd want to actually spend significant amounts of time running around in it

Arcanum is interesting because it does actually have a huge amount of terrain in between locations (I never figured out if it was randomly generated, hand-made or what), but it's also colossally boring and pointless for the most part, pretty much just there because, I don't know, why not? It's an unconventional take on the world map, but I'm not sure it really counts as "fast travel" when using the map to get from place to place really is the only viable way to play the game, on account of its map being so large.

And how are those two any different in this regard?
Fast travel is fast travel.

Satori said:
Really, just head straight to The Shivering Isles and once that's done, uninstall. Only slightly interesting thing in the whole game, go Melancholy and not Manic though, depression 4lyfe.

One should use cheats to level up when doing that, as Jimbob's LP has shown that doing SV at a low level results in killing a level 1 Jyggalag in two strikes.

betamin

Learned
I can't stand walking just because, I even used the mod in Fallout 1 and 2 to speed up the whole game, having to wait dead time just to get to the content sucks.

DraQ

Arcane
betamin said:
I can't stand walking just because, I even used the mod in Fallout 1 and 2 to speed up the whole game, having to wait dead time just to get to the content sucks.
Except in the prequel it wasn't "dead time" but vital part of the content.

In Oblivious they just removed the content.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DraQ said:
Because it's never, ever intended for players to traverse the terrain in Arcanum, and there's both map travel and steam travel available, which provide tenfold or even hundredfold faster travel. In Oblivion, fast travel was always played up as an option there if you wanted it, not the default method of getting from point A to B. In practice the game is nearly unbearable without it, but clearly Bethesda intended for players to do a good deal of walking around based on both the size of the world and all the random towns, dungeons etc. in between major locations, especially lining the roads. Arcanum has... absolutely nothing of interest; your chances of even running into a settlement or location of interest by running around the map in standard exploration mode are pretty much nil.

DraQ

Arcane
sea said:
DraQ said:
Because it's never, ever intended for players to traverse the terrain in Arcanum, and there's both map travel and steam travel available, which provide tenfold or even hundredfold faster travel. In Oblivion, fast travel was always played up as an option there if you wanted it, not the default method of getting from point A to B.
Still the game was designed around it and the fact is that the world is devoid of points of interest.

Criticisms of fast travel are mostly raised by disappointed Morrowind players, as going around and exploration was an integral part of the gameplay in Morrowind. The rest of the criticisms focus around the lack of cost or risk involved in fast travel. Finally, there is the problem of the world size - Oblivious' gameworld is just tiny compared to Daggerfall or Arcanum or other games with well implemented fast travel. Morrowind has about the same size of the gameworld (slightly smaller in terms of area, but much larger in terms of average shortest path between locations), but it's designed around making this gameworld important part of the gameplay, so there are hidden locations, hidden items, wilderness quest-hooks and carefully placed subtle breadcrumbs meant to lure inquisitive and perceptive players towards great treasures and otherwise interesting locations.

In practice the game is nearly unbearable without it
Just as it is with it.

tindrli

Arcane
DraQ said:
Uninstall.exe is pretty dated, but still very good.

beside Uninstall.exe wich i see it comming and i didnt even start the damn thing.. any other ????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom