Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera: Monte Cook's new 'Space Fantasy' rpg.

Prime Junta

Surprised it's going so well, after he pissed off the shitlords with inclusiveness, then the SJWs with cultural appropriation. Who's left?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I backed the first Numenera -- in fact I think it might've been the reason I set up a Kickstarter account in the first place. As I shifted Primordia royalties into paying FG, I stopped tithing to Kickstarter projects, so I haven't backed anything in a few years, so I never checked out the current one. I can say with respect to the first that it's a project you can get really excited about if you never play P&P because at a conceptual level it sounds like a good game for someone who can't be bothered to normally play P&P (not a pure narrative game, but with simple enough rules that you could pick it up and go). The overall pitch was great, name-checking Dying Earth stuff and presenting some interesting gameplay mechanics.

I have no idea how it actually plays, but maybe all the backers are like me, fantasists who never actually engage with the product? It seems improbable, but in this crazy world, anything is possible.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I backed the first Numenera -- in fact I think it might've been the reason I set up a Kickstarter account in the first place. As I shifted Primordia royalties into paying FG, I stopped tithing to Kickstarter projects, so I haven't backed anything in a few years, so I never checked out the current one. I can say with respect to the first that it's a project you can get really excited about if you never play P&P because at a conceptual level it sounds like a good game for someone who can't be bothered to normally play P&P (not a pure narrative game, but with simple enough rules that you could pick it up and go). The overall pitch was great, name-checking Dying Earth stuff and presenting some interesting gameplay mechanics.

I have no idea how it actually plays, but maybe all the backers are like me, fantasists who never actually engage with the product? It seems improbable, but in this crazy world, anything is possible.

I think so too. It may be the "Oooh look shinies!" effect as well. Give the man credit, they do produce nice looking physical products.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The end product I thought was an interesting look at things, nice looking, etc. But rules wise, goddamn.
I thought the rules from Black Crusade were better by far.

Edit: Also the world was very interesting that he built.

Prime Junta

Also the world was very interesting that he built.

It’s a world with no history, no politics, no cultures, no economy. Just a giant bag of random shiny. If that’s interesting then dumping your entire fridge into a pot and stirring is great cooking.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Good point. Mostly from a Sci-fi perspective really I guess is how I meant it, that and it's kind of a blank slate so as a GM you can build it just about anyway you want to with the kingdoms, etc.

Edit: I do agree that a lot needed fleshing out, but overall it was interesting and I think the art definitely helped to convey things.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Good point. Mostly from a Sci-fi perspective really I guess is how I meant it, that and it's kind of a blank slate so as a GM you can build it just about anyway you want to with the kingdoms, etc.

Edit: I do agree that a lot needed fleshing out, but overall it was interesting and I think the art definitely helped to convey things.

The art was good, for the most part.

I just don't see the point of a non-setting setting like that. If I want to bulid something "the way I want to," I'll make up my own world. If I use somebody else's setting, I use it precisely because it gives me all that stuff already thought out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom