Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline (not so) Long Awaited Volournian EARLY Impressions of AOD Demo

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, there is, but at least you'll live to fight walk away from another fight another day"

Thumbs up. L0L

Now, just offer a boxed version and you'll get another pre order. :)

Severian Silk

"Well, there is, but at least you'll live to fight walk away from another fight another day"

Thumbs up. L0L

Now, just offer a boxed version and you'll get another pre order. :)
But.... but.... the game is not made by BioWare?

:universeimplodes:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Retsarted with an axe and shield fellow and working out so far.

Heh. Silly camera and me. Dunno why i didn't realize I can turn camera around (probabaly b/c I haven't played all that much).

Question...

Exactly what is the belt bag for? I place items in there but no effect happens. I thoguht they would eb items you could access in combat with minimal AP loss but no such luck.

Is there a way to find out exactly what magic items do ala lore or some such? or do you jsut have to 'wing' it via item descrition like the ring I just collected? Doesn't seem to change any stats.:P of coruse, it could eb fake but it doesn't seem likely.

I have an idea.. Sometiems you have an extra AP or two.. could it be possible to use those boost your dodge/block skill duringe nemies' turn? This gives people even more options in combat.

P.S. Still LOVIN' the music. :D

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Does anyone know when messing with the smelter in the mining outpost how to get a power boost to start blue steel production? I've played a couple of lore focused characters to no avail.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Does anyone know when messing with the smelter in the mining outpost how to get a power boost to start blue steel production? I've played a couple of lore focused characters to no avail.
You need more power (i.e. you can't do it in the demo).

Exactly what is the belt bag for? I place items in there but no effect happens. I thoguht they would eb items you could access in combat with minimal AP loss but no such luck.
You're right but it hasn't been enabled yet (coming in R4).

Is there a way to find out exactly what magic items do ala lore or some such? or do you jsut have to 'wing' it via item descrition like the ring I just collected? Doesn't seem to change any stats.:P of coruse, it could eb fake but it doesn't seem likely.
There is no way. Which ring?

I have an idea.. Sometiems you have an extra AP or two.. could it be possible to use those boost your dodge/block skill duringe nemies' turn? This gives people even more options in combat.
We'll consider it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Which ring?"

The ring you get from Freng when you kill the rival Loremaster. The description states it 'enhances combat prowess'.

Nice about the belt bag, and crosses fingers over perserved AP. Annoying to have 1AP left though I try to avoid that.

Also, can you never move away from an enemy? No matter what, I always get hit and frozen in spot.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pump more points into dodge. It is possible to avoid attacks and move away.

Vault Dweller

Developer
"Which ring?"

The ring you get from Freng when you kill the rival Loremaster. The description states it 'enhances combat prowess'.
This ring?

Feng sighs again. "I made this ring a few days ago. I copied the runes from an old manuscript and filled them with an alchemical component. It glows in poorly lit areas and will burn your fingers to the bone if you aren't careful. When you finally meet Lord Antidas - I suppose I could take you to see him, but it would be too suspicious - you'll offer the ring as a tribute without asking for anything in return. I'll confirm that the ring is authentic and will recommend his Lordship to reward your dedication to House Daratan. Then I'll start a lengthy and expensive research aimed at unlocking the ring's powers, but that's a different story. Do you get it now?"

Nice about the belt bag, and crosses fingers over perserved AP. Annoying to have 1AP left though I try to avoid that.

Also, can you never move away from an enemy? No matter what, I always get hit and frozen in spot.
Yes, you can. When you attempt to disengage your enemy gets an attack of opportunity aimed to force you to stay and fight. If you block or dodge the attack, you can fall back.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Feng sighs again. "I made this ring a few days ago. I copied the runes from an old manuscript and filled them with an alchemical component. It glows in poorly lit areas and will burn your fingers to the bone if you aren't careful. When you finally meet Lord Antidas - I suppose I could take you to see him, but it would be too suspicious - you'll offer the ring as a tribute without asking for anything in return. I'll confirm that the ring is authentic and will recommend his Lordship to reward your dedication to House Daratan. Then I'll start a lengthy and expensive research aimed at unlocking the ring's powers, but that's a different story. Do you get it now?""

No. description reads soemthing about enhancing battle prowess and links it to some famous person. Next time I play game I'll write it down and share.

"Yes, you can. When you attempt to disengage your enemy gets an attack of opportunity aimed to force you to stay and fight. If you block or dodge the attack, you can fall back."

Guess I seem to fail my block skill on those all the time. Not that i retreat a lot but sometimes when I have a few AP left I want to back up to make them waste their AP. <>

Vault Dweller

Developer
"Feng sighs again. "I made this ring a few days ago. I copied the runes from an old manuscript and filled them with an alchemical component. It glows in poorly lit areas and will burn your fingers to the bone if you aren't careful. When you finally meet Lord Antidas - I suppose I could take you to see him, but it would be too suspicious - you'll offer the ring as a tribute without asking for anything in return. I'll confirm that the ring is authentic and will recommend his Lordship to reward your dedication to House Daratan. Then I'll start a lengthy and expensive research aimed at unlocking the ring's powers, but that's a different story. Do you get it now?""

No. description reads soemthing about enhancing battle prowess and links it to some famous person. Next time I play game I'll write it down and share.
That's the ring. You must have failed your streetwise check somewhere. What I quoted is from a different dialogue branch.

"Yes, you can. When you attempt to disengage your enemy gets an attack of opportunity aimed to force you to stay and fight. If you block or dodge the attack, you can fall back."

Guess I seem to fail my block skill on those all the time. Not that i retreat a lot but sometimes when I have a few AP left I want to back up to make them waste their AP. <>
That's why we have these attacks in place.

hiver

We'll consider it.
That would be great because those leftover APs really sting the eye. Especially so overtime when you go through a lot of combat.

Could it be doable to use those to improve attack of opportunity chances? Or the counter attack abilities like those most weapons have.
Even if its just a few % it would still be great. Much better than nothing.
And i mean in addition to boosting dodge/block Volly (and many others) suggested.

So you can choose in which of those abilities to "invest" or relegate them.
Having a few options would make it less a clear cut decision. You would have to think what might be better, depending on situation and opponents.

And you can limit that in several ways to prevent obvious abuse.
Like not being able to "invest" more than two or three APs and only when they are the last left in the AP bar, for example.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm certainly going to try a "diplomatic" route in my first playthrough, avoiding combat at all costs and using my wits to get out of any complicated situations, after playing the demo that was what most impressed me about AoD, the options made available to the player.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It'd be interesting to see if a diplomacy focused character could even survive in some of the dungeons, yet alone succeed. The real challenge I think is making a successful generalist.

That said there's a few decent high intelligence combat builds out there, so it could be doable.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm certainly going to try a "diplomatic" route in my first playthrough, avoiding combat at all costs and using my wits to get out of any complicated situations

In other words, a coward.

I'm only messing with you! It's just, the way you phrased that character concept is such an antithesis to the style I would play, I found it amusing. It is admirable and impressive, the variety of character generation this game allows for.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The true cowards way is the critical strike build. Murder them before even know what's happening.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In other words, a coward.

I'm only messing with you! It's just, the way you phrased that character concept is such an antithesis to the style I would play, I found it amusing. It is admirable and impressive, the variety of character generation this game allows for.

I love taking the less action more talk route trough rpg's, combat often get's boring with too many encounters, dialogue on the other hand... :)

Not sure if a diplomacy build is even possible tho.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Played the demo but not to completion, using the "cheat" character they provided, why do you ask? I make no assumptions about what will be possible or not in the final game due to their constant balancing (case in point their latest news update).

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dunno, but as a merchant, I got forced into a fight when I left town. I had no hope of winning this fight, so I just gave up on playing the merchant. I kinda wish it had just said "you chose poorly" as soon I made whatever decision prompted this fight and showed a game over screen instead of making me watch dudes take turns stabbing me to death.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I dunno, but as a merchant, I got forced into a fight when I left town. I had no hope of winning this fight, so I just gave up on playing the merchant. I kinda wish it had just said "you chose poorly" as soon I made whatever decision prompted this fight and showed a game over screen instead of making me watch dudes take turns stabbing me to death.
You threatened Mercato. He didn't like that.

There were options to avoid the ambush, but I guess your skills were too low. I'm not quite sure what the best way to handle it is. If we make it too easy (for a merchant who has money), then threatening a man accustomed to violence will have no real consequences. Clearly, the way we did it is too hard and most merchants threaten Mercato (instead of using other options) and then get killed.

AngryKobold

Arcane

You threatened Mercato. He didn't like that.

There were options to avoid the ambush, but I guess your skills were too low. I'm not quite sure what the best way to handle it is. If we make it too easy (for a merchant who has money), then threatening a man accustomed to violence will have no real consequences. Clearly, the way we did it is too hard and most merchants threaten Mercato (instead of using other options) and then get killed.

A combat the player in 99% of cases is unable to avoid, win nor flee. Unless he's metagaming as if there's no tomorrow. Or editing saves, as I do sometimes.

And he's "not sure what's the best way". I know a way! It's called "controllable companions".

Any other bad design decisions to explain?

Vault Dweller

Developer
1) The ambush is triggered by threatening a leader of the leftover guards and forcing him to join a certain faction.
2) It's not the only way to solve the quest. There are 2-3 more, but it's the easiest way.
3) You can avoid the ambush by noticing it (a perception check) and sneaking around or by running away (a dexterity check). I figured that a good talker would have no problem convincing Mercato, or if fail, convincing Antidas to wipe the guards out. A talker/fighter or a talker/explorer should be able to handle the ambush.
4) A player who chooses options without thinking deserves to die in that ambush. The way the quest is designed, if you fail to convince Mercato, you go to Antidas (out of necessity), unless you're simply bloodthirsty. You don't threaten Mercato unless you can handle the consequences.
5) Fuck your controllable companions.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And he's "not sure what's the best way". I know a way! It's called "controllable companions".

Any other bad design decisions to explain?"

'Controllable companions' would be a bad design decision.

Anyways, I have a scenario that annoys me minorly... The street thugs in the alley way. There's 5 of them. The options seem kind of odd sicne the best decision is to fight them. If you tell them you work for the guild guy... you can convicne them to give you half their money (soemthing like a few hundred) which they do, you can demand all their money (which gets them to attack which makes sense 100%) or you can fight and get all their equipment (lots of money) + 5 SP... Why would anyone NOT take that option unkless theyf ear dying? I think players should be rewarded for tricking them into not attacking you - at least a few SP.

A good counter example I found is the punk who steals from you and the guard who backs him up. You can fight them for 2 SP + equipment but if you intimidate them through the guild connection you at least get 3 SP making using dialogue a worthy choice. Skill points are very important in the game - tos ruvive fights and to get dialogue options - and fighting shouldn't be considered the 'best' option since fighting and the combat system is fun enough as it is it doesn't need any more motivation for the player to take part in.

Otherwise, so far the game iss till hella fun, and the music is A+++....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom