Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Fowyr I take it you're unaware that many people play tabletop RPG's with little or no combat?

Prime Junta

Fowyr I take it you're unaware that many people play tabletop RPG's with little or no combat?
Oh yes, the :obviously: freeform role-playing.
:roll:

Not necessarily freeform at all. Combat challenges aren't the only kind of challenges that require mechanics to resolve.

Edit: case point -- Call of Cthulhu. Yes, the system has combat mechanics. However, if you're running it as a combat game, you're doing it wrong. The challenges should be in unraveling mysteries, discovering mythos lore, and maintaining a shred of sanity in the face of eldritch horrors. The system provides excellent mechanical support for it, and it's not freeform at all.

I used to run several CoC campaigns, and combat just wasn't a significant element. There may have been, like, one firefight with some cultists once, but that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I can only cite myself:

Firstly, we're not foregoing combat as such altogether.

Secondly nobody is diluting anything from the 80s or 90s. That last bit is impossible.

What you describe in your auto-citation sounds like a good list to compare any cRPG against. No Truce endeavors to meet all of those points and then some with the one exception of the fabled classical turn-based combat.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Firstly, we're not foregoing combat as such altogether.
Then your game belongs to that subforum. That's all.

Secondly nobody is diluting anything from the 80s or 90s. That last bit is impossible.
By "last bit" did you meant 90s? 80s had its share of hybrids too, see Hillsfar for example. But they were called "hybrids" (or variant thereof) by any experienced player.

And if you think that "diluting is impossible" with former titles, it's simple not true. Just see what became of roguelikes when "roguelike" was made a buzz word. When everything is roguelike - there are no roguelikes. :negative:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What subforum is that?

No Truce With the Furies is a brand new title in an original setting.

This subforum, I meant.

General RPG Discussion

So everything is fine.

In before change of graphics for anime :troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Anyone who played Age of Decadence as a merchant knows it's perfectly possible to have a great RPG without combat.

Battles are just one of many possible conflicts, presenting it as a must-have severely limits what RPGs can do.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone who played Age of Decadence as a merchant knows it's perfectly possible to have a great RPG without combat.

I do agree that, generally speaking, an RPG can have no combat, but AoD's non-combat route is just a CYOA with simple skill checks. Maybe if AoD had a more involved RPG(-like) system for non-combat resolution, then that'd be the case.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe if AoD had a more involved RPG(-like) system for non-combat resolution, then that'd be the case.
Such as what? It has exploration, dialogs & factions that must be carefully navigated, economy, skills & stats... even disguises, in some quests....

Point is, AoD's non-combat route is literally just a well-written CYOA gamebook, with only the plainest of stat and skill checks. If that's enough to make a "great RPG" for you, then fair enough, but for me RPG means systems. Thus, a great non-combat RPG would need to include some (e.g. a complex stealth system or a social conflict system - e.g. something like http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2414.0.html (just a random example) - etc.). Disguise comes close I guess, but again, it's not designed as a system.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fowyr Theres no shame in admitting yer wrong bro. cRPGs are suposed to take inspiration on pnp, and by those standards this is as much of an rpg as fallout. The fact that it doesnt have a combat system doesnt mean there wont be conflict.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fowyr Theres no shame in admitting yer wrong bro. cRPGs are suposed to take inspiration on pnp, and by those standards this is as much of an rpg as fallout. The fact that it doesnt have a combat system doesnt mean there wont be conflict.
implying conflict only appear in the form of violence, thus combat.

this kind of thingking belong in the year 1257 and not 2016

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Oh, snap. Turns out the interview is the new most popular genre in writing. Heres a gargantuan wall of text back-and-forth between Robert/Marat Sar and the good people at Gamasutra.

Go check it out - there are plenty new tidbits to dig out from that:

LINK

Prime Junta

This looks like it's shaping up to be a truer spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment than T:ToN. Its whole point was to do something different and turn the genre inside out.

Don't screw it up. Please?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where they have commas, we have semicolons.
:hmmm:
EDIT: They are onto me, while I browsed this topic, the following email arrived.

l9vQFY5.png

Also misspelled title.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
technology is not a fascinating subject for modern science fiction. It’s become a natural part of our reality. We don’t believe it’s going to save us anymore – it has failed to deliver for too long.
That's what I told week or two ago in comments to don't fasking remember what.
Culturologists and philosophers prroved that long time ago, maybe it was failed in WW for the first time.

it’s doubtful that he was expecting a 13 strong team of game developers – based in Estonia – to produce a game of the same name some 20 years later. And yet just over 3 weeks ago a 13 strong team of game developers – based in Estonia – announced they were making an isometric, story-driven role playing game entitled “No truce with the Furies.” They are Fortress Occident and they are not Welsh poets.

:troll:

The game is financed using vacuum energy.

:D

Last edited:

Prime Junta

The social changes catalysed or affected by technology are kinda fascinating though IMO.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That interview is cool. If this game does release in 2016 I have no doubt it will become 'Dex GotY 2016.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
this music from the gamasutra interview is beautiful

i will assume in game soundtrack will have the same feel, it's just beautiful

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom