Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HARDWARE DRM.
No more pirated Photoshop, Premier, 3d Max, Visual Studio or whatever.
Now you are going to shill the 5k shekels to your favorite monopoly or be left in the dust.

Time to Open Source or :decline:

The day unbreakable hardware DRM is invented is the day Photoshop gets an inexpensive home user version sold on Steam with periodic discounts.

Last edited:

Whiran

Magister
It could. In 1-2 years when its super cheap and hadn't been cracked by then you could maybe get 15% extra sales.
Why 15%?

I'm curious why you feel that's the number.

I've seen "studies" over the years that have claimed that Piracy is rampant and loses tons of sales. I've seen "studies" that show the exact opposite - that piracy increases sales since it increases the visibility of a product and gives a free test drive of the product.

I have no idea what the reality is. I suspect that a fair few people who pirate do so with games they had zero intention to buy ever but are curious about the title for whatever reason. If any of these turn around and buy the game from their experience that's a new sale directly from a pirated copy.

However, I imagine for "larger" titles that have millions spent on their marketing then there probably is a number of people who would otherwise buy the game but are pirating it for the free part. I have no idea if this group would ever purchase the game after pirating it. And if they could obtain the game for free would they pay for the product? Dunno.

All of that goes back to the why 15%? :)

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Because I am in a god forsaken country here and I can't imagine anyone here who either aren't all aboard the Steam Train or are hardcore pirates that will never buy a game in their life.
15% is what I expect in my country and since most piracy is more or less from these god forsaken countries this is what you get.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know about that, it always looks much more pirates are from USA if you go by the IPs in torrent clients or on those shady streaming sites.
Unless most are just USA proxies or overall the number of pirates from those god forsaken countries put together is larger than those from USA. Because for the shit kwans give to these countries for being pirates, they sure as hell seem to pirate a whole fucking lot.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't know about that, it always looks much more pirates are from USA if you go by the IPs in torrent clients or on those shady streaming sites.
Unless most are just USA proxies or overall the number of pirates from those god forsaken countries put together is larger than those from USA. Because for the shit kwans give to these countries for being pirates, they sure as hell seem to pirate a whole fucking lot.

Most data a had seen is showing overall traffic, almost never only games(that would need actual effort) and a lot of kwans love their TV/movie shlock.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Can't stump 3dm
“3DM will soon announce that we have a solution to the latest Denuvo encryption used on games including ‘FIFA 16’, ‘Just Cause 3’, and ‘Tomb Raider: The Rise’,” 3DM leader Bird Sister just announced.

Bird Sister

“We [made this announcement] because a lot of players believe we have abandoned cracking due to technical problems, but we will prove it is not the case,” Bird Sister continues.

“We have not yet been stumped [by protection measures].”

Although this announcement flies in the face of some of 3DM’s earlier comments, the news will be received with disappointment by games developers and publishers, not to mention the team at Denuvo. 3DM had been leading the charge on Denuvo-protected titles so a break could’ve given valuable breathing space.

But that said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and until pirates have tasted the joys of a fully cracked Just Cause 3, their appetites will remain in full force. In other words they’ll believe this game has been cracked when they actually play it at home – thus far there is no sign of a release.

Interestingly, should cracked copies eventually arrive at the hands of 3DM, the group won’t be taking the credit. A somewhat counter-productive comment by Bird Sister indicates that 3DM will not take the usual path on release since they don’t want to attract too much attention.

“Of course, this will not be a high-profile or official 3DM release,” she concludes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually 3DM is translator group, they are translating to Chinese. Because you can't have quality translation without crack (and you need to change contents of exe file for translation) they are also quality crackers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Forget about Whatevooo and 3dBribes.

The real shit is about to go DOWN. In the next 5 to 10 years the real corporate anal rape is about to come.

HARDWARE DRM.
No more pirated Photoshop, Premier, 3d Max, Visual Studio or whatever.
Now you are going to shill the 5k shekels to your favorite monopoly or be left in the dust.

Time to Open Source or :decline:

What about AyyMD?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Interesting (if this is real): https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackStatus/comments/4mtb46/conversation_with_a_denuvo_employee/

Hello there Crackstatus. I'm tired of everyone making presumptions here, so I contacted Denuvo people by using the form on their website, pretending to be some unknown game dev on steam. Surprisingly they answered and gave me lots and lots of info.

I cover all sizes of titles regarding pricing, please provide your estimate under which category ‘Dead End Road’ will fall.

Pricing:

We offer a wide range of business models to cover different scenarios intended by you as a publisher / developer. I’m also happy to discuss tailoring something reflecting your needs.

Official ordering and invoicing is done by our partner Sony, we do the technical fulfillment.

The standard pricing models:

Lump sum model:

AAA title (bigger 500k units on PC): 100.000 EUR

AA title (smaller 500k units on PC): 50.000 EUR

Indie title (less than 100k units on PC): 10.000 EUR

Or

Per unit pricing:

2.500 EUR setup fee.

0,15 EUR per unit reported monthly based on Steam,… owners.

(optional) cost covering for on-site visit if requested.

Heh, it's cheaper than I imagined.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Anything can be cracked, people just don't give enough of a shit any more. Shitty games - the ultimate copy protection!

pippin

AAA title (bigger 500k units on PC): 100.000 EUR

AA title (smaller 500k units on PC): 50.000 EUR

Indie title (less than 100k units on PC): 10.000 EUR

Interesting to know how aaa, aa or indie have nothing to do with production values. Is Tetris an indie or AAA game? I mean, it was made by one guy after all.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Anything can be cracked, people just don't give enough of a shit any more. Shitty games - the ultimate copy protection!

Yes, seems like that's true for many people: if they can't pirate Doom because of denuvo, they'll just happily play cod or whatever. These shooters became so bland and formulaic, they're practically interchangeable at this point.

DramaticPopcorn

AAA is an investment rating, it can also mean relatevily low budget titles like all of Ubisoft Montpellier "indie" shit.
For higher protection, they could have sprung for 100k Denuvo package too, although far fetched

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamesn.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/denuvo-drm-crack-torrent

Pirate alleges to have cracked infamous Denuvo DRM protection on Rise of the Tomb Raider

Denuvo DRM has proven to be an impassible thorn in the sides of many PC game pirates over the past few years, but one claims to have defeated the beast.

Denuvo has prevented several major releases, such as Just Cause 3, DOOM, and Rise of the Tomb Raider from becoming widely distributed on torrent sites. In fact, anentire subreddit is devoted to tracking the crack status of Denuvo games and shows no progress has been made in several months.

But now Russian hackers are reporting that serious progress has been made on circumventing the protection software used to verify legitimate game installs and prevent bootlegs from working.

The unknown hacker (some are claiming to be part of the infamous RELOADED group of crackers) has made a video showing the debug process leading to Rise of the Tomb Raider launching successfully, albeit with a framerate hit from running through the debugger's virtual machine.

The source, a Russian forum first reported in this torrentfreak article, is hard to decipher, but members of the cracking subreddit have theorised and explained the process he is taking through the debug software here.

Due to no-one yet claiming responsibility for the video, and no crack appearing on the web, it's hard to know if it really has happened or not.

We reached out to Thomas Goebl, director of sales at Denuvo, who wasn't exactly denying the crack either.

"It’s always hard to comment on something which is not available to the public, as the article says all files currently floating around are fake," Goebl said. "The general positioning of our product is “hard to crack” and not “uncrackable”. For us it is important to secure the initial sales window of games, which worked out well on all the recent titles."

Five months is a long time to wait for a pirate used to getting things without limits, so perhaps he's right there.

flyingjohn

Arcane
This seems to be a popular thing lately:
1)random Russian master hacker/ninja/superstar claims to have cracked denuvo
2)When asked to present any evidence you always get sketchy videos that look more like a bypass method instead of a crack
3)When people ask him why not upload the so called crack the response is always that he is waiting for denuvo to give him billions for his hacking skills
4)After some time the guy gets forgotten and no crack gets released
5)Another Russian super hacker claims to have cracked denuvo
6)rinse and repeat

There is no denuvo crack and there will never be a crack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom