Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The day there are no more pirated games is the day that the gaming industry will die.

Cassidy

Arcane
And that's what a reasonable person would do instead of wasting it on some shit game they can download for free :roll:
A reasonable person doesn't play shit games.

Unlike with high-end and more expensive cars, higher priced games are 9 out of 10 times shit games to milk hyped Day-one purchase idiots. I don't know any game priced at or higher than $60 besides the rare flight simulator that isn't an overrated popamole crap.

praetor

Arcane
people in here are really overestimating the importance of money (other than in EE and countries like Brazil, where a new game costs something like 30% of the minimum wage), and underestimating the importance of convenience

i remember an article (sorry, can't be arsed to dig it up :P), it was from roughly one year ago when TPB was down for something like a month and the MPAA or RIAA or somebody shot themselves in the foot with some stupid PR saying some stupid shit about Google when they were the biggest help in their "war" against piracy, stating that even in rich countries like Norway (where the average wage is something like 1000% of the EE/Br wages), piracy was rampant for years simply because there was no easy and convenient way to acquire the legal goods, so when stuff like Netflix, iTunes and similar got to Norway piracy was reduced by something like 80% (number pulled out of memory, it may be incorrect, but it was a very big percentage, well over 50%) almost overnight (and the figures were provided by Google itself, not TPB or someone like that)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Pirate all you want. Just don't come in here defending it as some crusade against corporate corruption or because pirating games will increase sales for a company and is actually a good thing.

You're pirating because you wanna play video games for free and you can do it easily.
"I want this thing and I can take it" Occams Razor - the rest is just ethic self-masturbation to justify being a stingy miser. Be proud and own it.

people in here are really overestimating the importance of money (other than in EE and countries like Brazil, where a new game costs something like 30% of the minimum wage), and underestimating the importance of convenience

i remember an article (sorry, can't be arsed to dig it up :P), it was from roughly one year ago when TPB was down for something like a month and the MPAA or RIAA or somebody shot themselves in the foot with some stupid PR saying some stupid shit about Google when they were the biggest help in their "war" against piracy, stating that even in rich countries like Norway (where the average wage is something like 1000% of the EE/Br wages), piracy was rampant for years simply because there was no easy and convenient way to acquire the legal goods, so when stuff like Netflix, iTunes and similar got to Norway piracy was reduced by something like 80% (number pulled out of memory, it may be incorrect, but it was a very big percentage, well over 50%) almost overnight (and the figures were provided by Google itself, not TPB or someone like that)

Gabe has said the same thing of steam. Money is not the issue. Most people are willing to spend 5000 dollars on a gaming rig that far surpasses what you need to play most games.

Convenience is a far more important commodity generally speaking.. (I know many people on this forum are still running shit boxes that can barely render a monitor screen)

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
And that's what a reasonable person would do instead of wasting it on some shit game they can download for free :roll:
A reasonable person doesn't play shit games.

Alas, a reasonable person is terribly bored through most of his life, and might as well play some shit game to pass time.

eh speak for yourself bud, i guess it sucks not having anyone to speak to in real life but fk me having no friends AND being poor? man you got it rough

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

A reasonable person wouldn't waste their limited free time on games so bad they don't even consider them worth a few doritos on a sale. If you actually do have a decently paying job, a family, other hobbies and shit to do in general, then free time becomes a much more valuable resource than money, especially given how cheap games are relatively speaking. In other words, If I choose not spend 30 hours playing the newest Assassin's Creed, it's not because it's too expensive.

On topic, if this actually comes to pass (which I'm skeptical of), then what would mostly be at risk is preservation of DRM-infested games. Maybe it's for the best that nobody would know what Assassin's Creed was in 2050?

abija

Prophet
I have torrents going right now at home so don't preach to me like I am some corporate cuck.
You're the only brainwashed moralist here - if you actually believe that your pirating is some grand crusade against corruption instead of.. ya know.. just getting free shit.
Who said anything about crusade? People just shouldn't concern at all with the well being of companies/industries, just do whatever is best for them. Morality has no place when the other side is mostly concerned with ripping you off.

kwanzabot said:
i mean it is stealing really lol
[...]
but trying to justify pirating with OMGGGG ITS NOT FAIRRR HOW MUCH THE CORPORATIONS MAKE just makes you pathetic

if 60$ is alot you're a tramp and need to get a decent job lol
What's really stealing is government officials being bribed to spend billions in Microsoft licenses/support that they never use.
And the thing not being fair is not how much money corporations make but how they make so much money.

Minimum wage here is €200, average €400. Computer parts for example cost 30-40% more than in US. You shouldn't worry we don't work, be more concerned with us "stealing" your jobs soon enough.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This piracy debate about what is moral or not is a complex one, where everyone pro or against is full of shit. You can only be full of shit if you are talking about this. Between those who say that :

-Piracy is bad, period. Instead, you should encourage copyright speculation and give money to GoG so that it can go in the pockets of absolutely nobody who developped the game.
-Don't pirate games that are almost absolutely impossible to find, you can buy those second hand after all, and you can enjoy this Magnetic Scrolls game for the low price of 430 € : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MYTH-by-MAGN...919508?hash=item3aba40e9d4:g:lgcAAOxyP4dTd03h
-those who say that piracy is bad and who use adblock on every website, because, you know, at least it's not illegal
-I WILL NEVER PIRATE A GAME ! Shit, is the new Game of Thrones episode out ?
-I never pirate shit, but I'll never buy a game that's not selling at 85% !
-I never pirate shit, buy my software full price

Fuck, you could even argue that you're destroying the industry with some purchases, and that by pirating software, you have more money for hardware, food, going to restaurants or see a concert and are therefore helping a whole fuckload of other industries. See ? You're moral again.

There is no answer to this debate. Just do your shit, don't do it, but yes, don't try to justify it, and by it, I also mean "do everything legally" too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pirate all you want. Just don't come in here defending it as some crusade against corporate corruption or because pirating games will increase sales for a company and is actually a good thing.

That's not what I'm doing (and neither is anyone else in this thread, from what I gather), it's not trying to defend piracy, it is simply stating the facts of the market.

Again, I could point you to that Neil Gaiman example that shows how beneficial it can work for books, but I already did so yeah.

I'm not saying "hurr I'm doing a good thing", I'm just saying that piracy has a few positive aspects, can never be eradicated completely, and all the adverse effects of it are overstated.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This piracy debate about what is moral or not is a complex one, where everyone pro or against is full of shit. You can only be full of shit if you are talking about this. Between those who say that :

-Piracy is bad, period. Instead, you should encourage copyright speculation and give money to GoG so that it can go in the pockets of absolutely nobody who developped the game.
-Don't pirate games that are almost absolutely impossible to find, you can buy those second hand after all, and you can enjoy this Magnetic Scrolls game for the low price of 430 € : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MYTH-by-MAGN...919508?hash=item3aba40e9d4:g:lgcAAOxyP4dTd03h
-those who say that piracy is bad and who use adblock on every website, because, you know, at least it's not illegal
-I WILL NEVER PIRATE A GAME ! Shit, is the new Game of Thrones episode out ?
-I never pirate shit, but I'll never buy a game that's not selling at 85% !
-I never pirate shit, buy my software full price

Fuck, you could even argue that you're destroying the industry with some purchases, and that by pirating software, you have more money for hardware, food, going to restaurants or see a concert and are therefore helping a whole fuckload of other industries. See ? You're moral again.

There is no answer to this debate. Just do your shit, don't do it, but yes, don't try to justify it, and by it, I also mean "do everything legally" too.

:hmmm:

taxalot said:
BUY MY BOOK (so that I don't have to write another one) : http://www.amazon.com/Débranchés-ebook/dp/B00C8QMXS6

==

That's not what I'm doing (and neither is anyone else in this thread, from what I gather), it's not trying to defend piracy, it is simply stating the facts of the market.

Again, I could point you to that Neil Gaiman example that shows how beneficial it can work for books, but I already did so yeah.

I'm not saying "hurr I'm doing a good thing", I'm just saying that piracy has a few positive aspects, can never be eradicated completely, and all the adverse effects of it are overstated.

That was specifically to the one person that I quoted.. It was hard to put his post together but from what I gathered he was supporting piracy and railing on corporate corruption / greed.

It just sounded like another bullshit rationalization.

likaq

Arcane
Piracy is fine because nothing is pchysically removed from an inventory.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Why are we talking about Piracy? There is no point when it comes to game piracy.

PC game piracy is effectively "balanced" because of Steam.

This is not an issue even for independent developers.

Simply put updates exist and steam has its own DRM per update.

This factors make any pirate who has even the remote possibility of buying it do for the convenience.

Anyone else is simply not going to buy it whatever the case.

Mustawd

What's really stealing is government officials being bribed to spend billions in Microsoft licenses/support that they never use.
And the thing not being fair is not how much money corporations make but how they make so much money.

What the fuck are you talking about?

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
I have torrents going right now at home so don't preach to me like I am some corporate cuck.
You're the only brainwashed moralist here - if you actually believe that your pirating is some grand crusade against corruption instead of.. ya know.. just getting free shit.
Who said anything about crusade? People just shouldn't concern at all with the well being of companies/industries, just do whatever is best for them. Morality has no place when the other side is mostly concerned with ripping you off.

kwanzabot said:
i mean it is stealing really lol
[...]
but trying to justify pirating with OMGGGG ITS NOT FAIRRR HOW MUCH THE CORPORATIONS MAKE just makes you pathetic

if 60$ is alot you're a tramp and need to get a decent job lol

Minimum wage here is €200, average €400. Computer parts for example cost 30-40% more than in US. You shouldn't worry we don't work, be more concerned with us "stealing" your jobs soon enough.

lmao i tell you what if whatever flea ridden shithole country you live in has dominos if you pm me your address i'll order you a couple pizzas

even if the holiday season is over it's always nice to give to the less fortunate

abija

Prophet
Relatively recent scandal in my country, still ongoing, they keep finding shit but the important guys managed to get away while some irrelevant schmucks went to jail.
I fairly doubt it a shit country like this is the only place where it happened nor M$ is the only company, was just an example.

Mustawd

Relatively recent scandal in my country, still ongoing, they keep finding shit but the important guys managed to get away while some irrelevant schmucks went to jail.
I fairly doubt it a shit country like this is the only place where it happened nor M$ is the only company, was just an example.

Makes sense. Hadn't heard about that in the US. Foreign countries are a hot mess of corruption. It's not just big companies. It's fucking everything. They all have their hands out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom