Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Blaine, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • popamole popamole x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    Just pledged $2,000.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    This looks too good to be true, but I hope I'm proven wrong. Please don't fuck this up...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013
    This comment from below the article pretty accurately sums up how I feel about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  5. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wow, just wow! :takemymoney:

I don't even care if gameplay will be boring, it would already be extremely impressive if they could build whole galaxies looking that shiny.

^ Top  
  6. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    OP video doesn't work for me, here's another one, HD too:

^ Top  
  7. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Outlander
    Apparently it features a copyrighted track from an obscure band or group, which the developer may or may not actually have the rights to use; it's hard to tell with JewTube these days, as they often mindlessly nuke any video that receives a copyright complaint. While inconvenient for us, by some bizarre coincidence their content policies just happen to be ideal for the needs of large corporations.

Updated the OP.

Let's wait and see, shall we?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    It will certainly be better than X: Stillborn :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Spellcaster Ask me about Thief Patron

Spellcaster
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    This looks absolutely fantastic, but as Night Goat said, it's too good to be true. If a game could deliver on everything the video implies it does and with fucktons of content and things to do, it would really easily be the best release in many years. Somewhere, something will suck terribly and ruin the whole thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    Parrots:
    If it's procedural then it shouldn't be very hard to make. However, did I get it correctly, will this be an MMO? If yes then all bets are (probably) off. Also... FPS components... meh, otherwise it looks great.

^ Top  
  11. skuphundaku Economic devastator, Mk. 11 Patron

skuphundaku
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    4 people working on an mmo of this scale, not going to happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dire Roach Prophet

Dire Roach
    Parrots:
    There's just enough info about this game to drive everyone's imaginations wild with speculation.

In before name change, simplification of gameplay concept to accomodate e-sports, console release announcement, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Looks like a pitch video to a big publisher: "come and buy us and our tech".

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Baron Arcane

Baron
    Parrots:
    Some really nice visuals, particularly the desert... even if the Dune worm moved a bit oddly. Impressive effort from 4 guys.

As a space (opera) sim fan, it's nice seeing all these new games revitalise a long forgotten genre. Part of me wishes they'd pool resources (X-Rebirth, Elite, Wing Commander reboots) and just build the perfect space trading sandbox. Worried there's going to be a string of half-assed efforts with none worth playing. Need to pick the best sandbox game and mod the X-Rebirth OST into it. I need deep space and deep space music to be a deep space pirate.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Let's wait and see. There have been promises of total freedom before and we know how that usually turns out.

^ Top  
  17. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Holy fucking shit. I WANT THIS

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    It's gonna be shit
    :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Procedural generation is extremely interesting from the programmers point of view, and it can lead to quite interesting experiments. But if it would really create vast, interesting worlds for free, just with just a few clever algorithms, it would be used by every game and make level designers obsolete.

Normally I see procedural just as a way to cut corners, if you want something that normally requires lots of manpower to be done cheaply by the computer. The end result is normally that everything looks more or less the same.

It's of course also a way to create worlds that could never fit into memory. The first time I saw it used that way was in Elite, and it was fascinating. But the procedurally generated galaxies were of course still not so interesting as if they were hand made.

^ Top  
  19. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013
    You make it sound like I've already made up my mind that it's going to be shit. I didn't say that, I said it had a pretty high chance of being shit. I'm still more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

^ Top  
  20. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Parrots:
  21. bonescraper Guest

bonescraper
    Interview at RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

In short.

- It's not a MMO. Yay!
    - It's a console game... Nay!

Oh well, another day, another disappointment.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    Thanks, ColCol.
    The RPS piece tells me that this is no MMO btw.

^ Top  
  23. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    So the world will be persistent and the same for everyone, also major changes made by players will be stored for everyone (like extinction of a bird species or depletion of a resource to quote the RPS article).
    But you will never meet another player and this isn't about ingame interaction. They want to make a survival space game where you are on your own.
    Doesn't sound like they want to build in factions fighting over territory or a detailed trading system, the ultimate goal is to reach the center of the universe galaxy.
    [​IMG]
    Majestic.

I have the feeling it will be piss easy and not feel like a roguelike at all. :(
    So my first question to them would be "is it moddable?" and "are there difficulty levels?".

Overall I love the idea, because this is exactly what kept me playing Frontier First Encounters. There I only ever wanted to do one of 2 things:
    1. gear up til I had an impenetrable death machine of a ship and have some fun with it
    2. explore the edges of known space.
    Why not combine both into something even more addictive?

I wonder how they want to implement resource gathering though. Running around on planets clicking on objects and making them disappear followed by a "you found 100 units metal alloys" isn't fun in my book.

^ Top  
  24. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    :retarded:
    How is this a good idea? Within hours, every species in the game will be extinct.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I expect there will be millions or billions of planets and billions or trillions of species. Since the game world (and presumably, creatures composed of X number of randomly-chosen traits) will be procedurally generated by seed, even if a million players each cause ten species to go extinct, there may be 9.99 billion species left.

Starbound already has this—millions of planets at the least, perhaps billions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)