Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Severian Silk

One problem is that while 3DS is popular with kids, fewer parents are going to want to entrust a $300 device to their 10 yo.
???

They leave their 5yo kids with expensive iPads and iPhones.
You're exaggerating. There may be some parents like this, but not enough to make the console viable. Or as viable as it would be if it were cheaper and more durable like Nintendo's excellent handhelds.

Santander02

Arcane
Why console companies always give their products cooler sounding codenames than official ones? Revolution, became the Wii, Durango became the Xbone, NX became Switch, PS4 Neo became PS4 Pro, next up Scorpio will be renamed something lame like "xTreme"

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
One problem is that while 3DS is popular with kids, fewer parents are going to want to entrust a $300 device to their 10 yo.
???

They leave their 5yo kids with expensive iPads and iPhones.
You're exaggerating. There may be some parents like this, but not enough to make the console viable. Or as viable as it would be if it were cheaper and more durable like Nintendo's excellent handhelds.
It's every parent ever here. It's like a silent mode for children.

Ofc the pricing and marketing are gonna be the deciding factor.

Severian Silk

You really think most parents want to spend an additional $300 on an iPhone just for their kids? On top of what they're already paying for their own personal/work phones? My sister's kids had iPhones and iPads when they were young, but they all were hand-me-downs from adults who had bought themselves new devices.

Also a console with multiplayer is going to make kids louder and more likely to throw their controllers around, not quieter.

If Nintendo is going to continue to produce more kids-oriented games than the :derp: "mature" :derp: games on the Xboxes and PSs, then they're going to need to make them kid-proof. Wii controllers were pretty durable, and the console itself was small and hard to hit with flying toys/devices/debris. The Switch is a pretty big target when when docked.

Last edited by a moderator:

tet666

Augur
Did you guys see all those small parts this thing has? you seriously can't give this to kids they will lose and break them all the time not to mention they will swallow them as well.....

Perkel

Arcane
I see Nintendo Fanboys are in total denial mode

lel. You are talking to dude who never bought any nintendo hardware aside from pegasus in 90' and 3DS now due to monster hunter.

Again this thing won't replace the 3ds and it's not meant to be.

Care to explain me why then they will release almost exactly same console (power wise) as WiiU ?
3DS is going away whatever you like it or not. I like mine but shit is basically PSP power wise and PSP was released almost decade ago+.

They simply don't have means of supporting both consoles at the same time without 3rd party support.
If they gain traction from consumers releasing one console with proper catalog of games selling proper amount of hardware to get that 3rd party support they won't need to focus anymore on one console and they can get back to 2 console support.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur

lel. You are talking to dude who never bought any nintendo hardware aside from pegasus in 90' and 3DS now due to monster hunter.

Care to explain me why then they will release almost exactly same console (power wise) as WiiU ?
3DS is going away whatever you like it or not. I like mine but shit is basically PSP power wise and PSP was released almost decade ago+.

Because this thing is not a Handheld as i said before it's too big,clunky and the battery lasts 3h max according to reports, i don't see how this can replace something ppl can carry around in their pockets and take out every time they have a few minutes to spare, i mean you even need a frickin backpack to carry this around.
This is a device you can take to the crapper with you and not something you want to lug around all day it's also not something you can give to kids which where a majority of the DS/3DS audience even Ninty knows that that's why they had only those ridiculous hipsters in their ad (who wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole in reality).

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Nintendo: Switch is a home gaming system ‘first and foremost’

While the Nintendo Switch is designed for play both in the home and on the go, Nintendo wants to be clear that it’s a home system first.

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.

“Obviously with sales of almost 60 million 3DS portables worldwide, there’s still a huge hunger for new games, such as Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. There are many more games in the pipeline.”

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You really think most parents want to spend an additional $300 on an iPhone just for their kids?.
Yes, when they are inclined to buy a videogame console to begin with. Kids love tablets this is the nintendo tablet wowow.

Would certainly see more use than the xbone my father bought to his brat. Since the kid can't play anything out of his age range, his games are basically minecraft, rayman and a shitload of lego games. The the other nintendo cuntsoles would all be better but this tablet form factor is good for marketing, it's what kids born after 2005 associate with gaming now.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Because this thing is not a Handheld as i said before it's too big,clunky and the battery lasts 3h max according to reports, i don't see how this can replace something ppl can carry around in their pockets and take out every time they have a few minutes to spare, i mean you even need a frickin backpack to carry this around.
This is a device you can take to the crapper with you and not something you want to lug around all day it's also not something you can give to kids which where a majority of the DS/3DS audience even Ninty knows that that's why they had only those ridiculous hipsters in their ad (who wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole in reality).
There will likely be custom batteries.

The original 3DS had 2.5h of life.

Dedup

Augur
Why console companies always give their products cooler sounding codenames than official ones? Revolution, became the Wii, Durango became the Xbone, NX became Switch, PS4 Neo became PS4 Pro, next up Scorpio will be renamed something lame like "xTreme"

I had this theory that they give their consoles dumb names out of some superstition that they might end up like Sega. Sega had cool names for all of its systems (Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Saturn, Dreamcast) but they always got beat out by their competitors which led to them giving up on hardware development.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

I had this theory that they give their consoles dumb names out of some superstition that they might end up like Sega. Sega had cool names for all of its systems (Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Saturn, Dreamcast) but they always got beat out by their competitors which led to them giving up on hardware development.
Next xbox will be called "Just buy whatever Sony is selling" then.

boot

Prophet
Mobile function is unnecessary but that is not much of a rebuke. Was actually really impressed when I came across a video of this thing. Interesting idea.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
zsphg7xwrwsx.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
does anyone believe its gonna be that fast?

Well TV out usually is that fast. This will be simple processing box like in DVD to upscale image and internally game will probably upscale a bit resolution (which is basically instant)

Severian Silk

Looking at the trailer again, Switch seems marketed to young adults, so best of luck to them.

tet666

Augur
thats actually not as fast as the trailer showed.

You do realize nothing in that trailer was real or running on actual hardware right?
Why would they lie?

Stop posting.

- This has been a formal warning issued to you by the Codex Shitpost Police.

(God i hope you are just trolling it's getting hard to tell these days, if not see below)

Yeah of course why would a company lie about their product in an ad that's really unprecedented...
Here is something for you from good ol George Carlin:

(anyway as i said if you where trolling just ignore this or watch the video anyway it's one of his best)

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane

Yes.

When the kids wake up at 6:30 on a Sunday morning, an iPad is literally the greatest invention in the history of the human race. You can't put a price tag on two or three extra hours of sleep.

:)

You really think most parents want to spend an additional $300 on an iPhone just for their kids?

No, we just let them use our expensive tablets and/or phones. I think that's far more common than buying tablets or phones just for the kids (at least young kids). Sometimes you just need some extra sleep. Or to make dinner without having to stop every 3 minutes to get the kids to stop shouting/fighting/running/etc. Or just to get half an hour of not being constantly interrupted. :cool:

Severian Silk

Does Switch support 4-person multiplayer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom