Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

Ranarama

Learned
I think what you are missing is that this will be essentially home console AND handheld.
Once this thing releases they will discontinue 3DS and WiiU support and put everything on it.

If you consider that you won't need two consoles to play Ninty games 300$ isn't that much for hardcore ninty fanboys. Once you buy it you have essentially handheld and home console libaries.

So they restrict sales to those that would otherwise buy both. Those who only want a home console (i.e. the updated GameCube that everyone without brain damage has been wanting) skip it for the next round. And those who want a handheld buy a second hand DS.

Perkel

Arcane
So they restrict sales to those that would otherwise buy both. Those who only want a home console (i.e. the updated GameCube that everyone without brain damage has been wanting) skip it for the next round. And those who want a handheld buy a second hand DS.

Le what ?

I mean they are going to put 2 systems libaries into 1. I don't see how this is a bad move. Nintendo doesn't give a shit about power anymore. They don't want to make another gamecube.

If you want to play Fire Emblem and new Zelda you don't need to buy two systems anymore.

tet666

Augur

Le what ?

I mean they are going to put 2 systems libaries into 1. I don't see how this is a bad move. Nintendo doesn't give a shit about power anymore. They don't want to make another gamecube.

If you want to play Fire Emblem and new Zelda you don't need to buy two systems anymore.

Yeah have the worst of both worlds an expensive clunky handheld you need a backpack to lug around with you and a low spec home console what could possibly go wrong?

Dreamcast had like one good game that got better versions on other consoles and the pc. WiiU had more than that.

Dreamcast was pretty much the first time we got arcade-perfect ports of contemporary games (or something close to it). At least the capacity for arcade-perfect ports. Also 60fps for the most part. I don't think that's insignificant, especially in an age of wobbly polygons with misaligned textures (with terrible framerates) on the PS1 or shitsmeared mipmapping (at even more terrible framerates) on the N64. I don't think you fully appreciate the shift from awful sub-20 framerates to a perfectly synched 60. It was the console with the best video output at the time (native VGA). The PS2 never came close.

DC's library was very good for the most part (especially fighting games and shmups). If you were a fighting game player at the time (1998-2002 or thereabouts) there was literally no other console to own.

Sega was Sega though, and Bernie Stolar was a tool. I would argue that the Dreamcast was a victim of Sega's marketing fuckups and mistimings like other Sega products before it. It's certainly not a console to dismiss as easily as you are doing.

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
They are the only ones making interesting games and I feel like cheering for nintendo like I'd cheer for the retard who wins the race by somehow managing to run in a straight line, at least they are trying.

tet666

Augur
OH look Switch won't replace the 3DS :

What does the launch of Switch mean for 3DS?

Fils-Aime: 3DS has a long life in front of it. We’ve already announced games that will be launching in the first couple quarters of this year. There are a number of big games coming. And in our view, the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch are going to live side-by-side. You’re going to be meeting different price points, you’re going to be meeting different types of consumers, you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming. They’re going to coexist just fine. We’ve done this before, managing two different systems.
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

What a fucking surprise i mean who would have thought...

tet666

Augur
It's funny, tho, the hate.

Creates a new 64/Sunshine Mario, which fans have been screaming for for years.

Creates a Zelda game that gets rid of bullshit mechanics and returns to its roots.

Sees that a new IP was successful but was lacking content so they make a sequel that adds more.

Adds battle mode back to MK

Makes a true sequel to XC

Makes a new IP with qt grills

Revives couch co-op

Somehow revives Konami, Capcom, and Sega and gets them to make new games for their console

Yeah and releases it on shitty and overpriced hardware.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dreamcast had like one good game that got better versions on other consoles and the pc. WiiU had more than that.

Dreamcast was pretty much the first time we got arcade-perfect ports of contemporary games (or something close to it). At least the capacity for arcade-perfect ports. Also 60fps for the most part. I don't think that's insignificant, especially in an age of wobbly polygons with misaligned textures (with terrible framerates) on the PS1 or shitsmeared mipmapping (at even more terrible framerates) on the N64. I don't think you fully appreciate the shift from awful sub-20 framerates to a perfectly synched 60. It was the console with the best video output at the time (native VGA). The PS2 never came close.

DC's library was very good for the most part (especially fighting games and shmups). If you were a fighting game player at the time (1998-2002 or thereabouts) there was literally no other console to own.

Sega was Sega though, and Bernie Stolar was a tool. I would argue that the Dreamcast was a victim of Sega's marketing fuckups and mistimings like other Sega products before it. It's certainly not a console to dismiss as easily as you are doing.

My statement was hyperbole, although the WiiU and Dreamcast are somewhat comparable. Both were fine consoles that didn't have enough of a life cycle to provide us with their full potential. I just hope that Switch manages to get those 3DS numbers so that Nintendo won't abandon the platform after a few years again. Phantasy Star Online was still better on the GameCube and PC tho.

Perkel

Arcane

The dumbest (marketing) move Nintendo ever made. Switch needs the 3DS audience if they want to sell more than 10 millions units.

Translation: Please buy 3DS either way even if we don't support it. Be good retards.
Once switch will release they will drop 3DS support harder than they did to WiiU after release.

Perkel

Arcane
My statement was hyperbole, although the WiiU and Dreamcast are somewhat comparable. Both were fine consoles that didn't have enough of a life cycle to provide us with their full potential. I just hope that Switch manages to get those 3DS numbers so that Nintendo won't abandon the platform after a few years again. Phantasy Star Online was still better on the GameCube and PC tho.

For me 2 ways:

- either make console that can stand on its own. Which Switch seems to be combining two libaries of games and getting number and with that third party support (at least some multi as most won't be on it)
- going bust on hardware and going completely multiplatform.

Supporting 2 consoles without third party support is completely impossible as proved by WiiU and 3DS.

I have 3DS and in 2016 there was : Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter Generations aaaand that is pretty much it for me. Aside from those there wasn't anything interesting to play. There was also Pokemon from big releases but i don't play pokemon.

So we are talking about literally 5-6 months at time of nothing. And if you look at ALL retail releases then it was like 2 months of nothing 2-3 games 3 months of nothing 1 game and so on.
I don't have WiiU but it was even worse. Like half a year of nothing 1 game.

If you have combined plaforms then they would have something like 1 huge game every month which isn't a lot but it is way better compared to their previous systems and with such support they can get sales and third party with that.

tet666

Augur
Ironically, in Canada here its still cheaper than going PC.

It's a console so ofc it's cheaper initially but i won't be for long cause of the inflated prices for games and everything else plus it's a console, you don't really want to compare this it's stupid.

[ I just hope that Switch manages to get those 3DS numbers so that Nintendo won't abandon the platform after a few years again. Phantasy Star Online was still better on the GameCube and PC tho.

Lol no fucking way not with this stupid concept, not even in a parallel universe where Ninty won the Console war.

Last edited:

I agree that the Dreamcast was pulled way too prematurely and it never reached its full potential, but otherwise I don't think they're comparable at all - the Wii U was an comparatively small iterative upgrade over the Wii and didn't provide a significant leap in visual fidelity or gameplay aspects compared to what was available at the time, while the Dreamcast provided an eye-watering upgrade on both counts (roughly 10x the number of polygons per second at double the resolution of competing consoles, at double the framerate).

I admit to being a fan of the DC. It was the last console I bought that I felt was great, and I feel people have a selective memory when they remember it (or, having never owned one at the time, they underestimate the true impact of the console).

It's just a shame that Sega is Sega. Modern (1997ish onwards) Sega has consistently been one of the dumbest fucking companies in the history of videogames.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DC was a revolutionary console, no doubt about it. Not only in terms of graphics, but having a functioning online service as well. But it also sold like crap, so nobody had it, so later proper sequels (instead of arcade ports) never made it to the console. During that era it didn't matter what kind of games you had, if you didn't have a FF and a MGS sequel you were beyond saving.

I also believe that piracy had a lot to do with the DC's demise, a very exploitable OS meant that there were self-booting ISOs 2 years into the system's life, no modifications of any kind required. That had to be the final nail in the coffin.

Anyway, back to the Switch talk.

Fils-Aime: 3DS has a long life in front of it. We’ve already announced games that will be launching in the first couple quarters of this year. There are a number of big games coming. And in our view, the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch are going to live side-by-side. You’re going to be meeting different price points, you’re going to be meeting different types of consumers, you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming. They’re going to coexist just fine. We’ve done this before, managing two different systems.

You do realize they more or less said the same thing about the DS with the GBA right? Except they called the DS the 'third pillar'. And guess when that 'third pillar' became more popular? It replaced the fucking GBA.

You do realize they more or less said the same thing about the DS with the GBA right? Except they called the DS the 'third pillar'. And guess when that 'third pillar' became more popular? It replaced the fucking GBA.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Also, Nintendo never even said that the 3DS was supposed to be the next step that replaces the DS. Which it did. They always do this.

---

Arcane
My ears are literally bleeding. That fucking russian accent.

Also, if innovative games mean AAA shit, I'm happy to be a "nostalgic" gamer.

And yes, this Switch sucks badly.

tet666

Augur

Speaking to Wired, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime stated, "At its heart, [Switch is] a home console that you can take with you on the go."

:kwafuckyeah:

Dexter

Arcane
The dumbest (marketing) move Nintendo ever made. Switch needs the 3DS audience if they want to sell more than 10 millions units.
How the fuck would they "get the audience" of the Nintendo DS/3DS with a console that is twice as large, heavier, a lot more expensive (even than the "Next Gen" competition with an installbase), presumably offers shit battery life, comes with a 32GB HDD: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-file-size-i/1100-6446937/ (about the capacity to have two large games installed), has nogaems, paid Online and doesn't seem to offer gimmicky games that the casuals want? Even in their retarded commercial they treat it more as a portable screen with a stand than a proper handheld. And there's also the growing "mobile phone" threat for mobile gaming, although they often lack proper titles.

Translation: Please buy 3DS either way even if we don't support it. Be good retards.
Once switch will release they will drop 3DS support harder than they did to WiiU after release.
That would be a Nintendo move, so I wouldn't put it past them, it seems like really good business to drop platforms with 150+ Million and 60+ Million in market share and install base they could develop for to concentrate on and put all your hopes in an unproven platform with a low million install base and practically no market share: http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Last edited:
Speaking to Wired, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime stated, "At its heart, [Switch is] a home console that you can take with you on the go."

:kwafuckyeah:

"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

https://games.slashdot.org/story/07/07/17/203236/nintendo-may-retire-game-boy-name
"This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself, so it will kind of seek its own level. It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark. It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS, but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name ... We had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."
:mrfussy:

cruelio

Augur
I would preorder right now if they'd confirm you can play WII U games on it since I completely missed that generation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom