Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
ed46_quickmemo+_2017-04-06-12-29-50-1.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I didn't realize how much of a boost at least some of the chips get when fused to level 6. Melee Attack Boost went from mediocre +20% at level 5 to... +50% at level 6.
Note to self: Must gather more Critical chips ASAP to see what percentage would a level 6 Critical chip provide...
Also interesting what a level 6 Shockwave would do... Though level 4 offers plenty of range anyway.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Really? Mine new Attack level 6 dissepeared from the Fuse list (other singletons are listed in red). So I though this was max. Also the bonus became VERY substantial already.

Yeah, I love Fangs of the Twins, though only lvl 3 so far. Not a fan of short swords or bracers. But I loved the combo of Spear + Greatsword (usually Type-40 + Fang of the Twins). And that sick Matrix Reloaded style roundhouse-kicks to the faces-on-the-pole. Now as clumsy 9S I find I still like Fangs the most.

At the beginning of route B (just past the desert), but I've already found some materials I've never seen on route A, like Machine Torso and Large Battery. But it will take a while to get to the castle smith.
Btw. is it only me, or is the display of the Upgrade material requirements a the Weapon Shop/smith bugged? It displays a static list of materials regardless of weapon type/level.

Malpercio

Arcane
everyone on the internet says the first game isn't even a good "game" so how could it be better than this one? Is this another case of the first game had a better story but bad gameplay so it was better?
Who is this everyone?

Nier 1's gameplay wasn't even that bad, unless you are one of these people think gameplay=combat, but even then the combat is just sub-par. Heck, the bosses are more memorable in the original Nier.

sullynathan

Arcane
everyone on the internet says the first game isn't even a good "game" so how could it be better than this one? Is this another case of the first game had a better story but bad gameplay so it was better?
Who is this everyone?

Nier 1's gameplay wasn't even that bad, unless you are one of these people think gameplay=combat, but even then the combat is just sub-par. Heck, the bosses are more memorable in the original Nier.
pretty much every video I've watched on it says the gameplay is bad

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Who is this everyone?

pretty much every video I've watched on it says the gameplay is bad

It's a meme to call the gameplay in Nier bad. When the game came out it was shat on for having bad combat when in reality it was just mediocre. Most people either died to the boar and kept retrying to kill the boar and failed, or couldn't figure out why their attacks bounced off enemies, so they rage quitted the game and just called it shit.

And Platinum'd (yes, console untermensch here :dealwithit:). I'm not really good at reviewing shit, so no wall-of-text from me. Sank 80 hours in it and will replay, so I don't regret spending my moneyz on it. I think no aspect of the game manages to be brilliant, but, overall, the game is more than the sum of its parts and is a very charming experience. If you own a PS4 or know someone with a PS4, there's a demo out and it's worth trying out before you buy.

Not even the soundtrack?

:slamdunkride:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Nier 1's gameplay wasn't even that bad, unless you are one of these people think gameplay=combat
Which part of the gameplay was good? The fishing?

The level designs, for one. Facade's dungeon and Emil's mansion are better than anything in Nier 2. Bosses are better. Gameplay is much more varied in Nier 1 compared to 2 50 hours of fighting.
Ahhh come on, the gameplay is definitely not more varied in the first game. You might have more downtime between fights, but it's still basically fighting, story stuff, or running between locations. Hell, Automata is more varied for all the shmup and hacking sections. And the combat itself is more varied due to better enemy variety, moves, weapons, upgrades, etc.. I don't want to bag on the first game too much, I agree that the gameplay wasn't that bad, but it was absolutely improved in Automata.

Malpercio

Arcane
Nier 1's gameplay wasn't even that bad, unless you are one of these people think gameplay=combat
Which part of the gameplay was good? The fishing?

The level designs, for one. Facade's dungeon and Emil's mansion are better than anything in Nier 2. Bosses are better. Gameplay is much more varied in Nier 1 compared to 2 50 hours of fighting.
Ahhh come on, the gameplay is definitely not more varied in the first game. You might have more downtime between fights, but it's still basically fighting, story stuff, or running between locations. Hell, Automata is more varied for all the shmup and hacking sections. And the combat itself is more varied due to better enemy variety, moves, weapons, upgrades, etc.. I don't want to bag on the first game too much, I agree that the gameplay wasn't that bad, but it was absolutely improved in Automata.

But all the shumps and hacking sections are largely the same. Nier 1 threw you completely new things at you, while Nier 2 basically showed you all its gameplay and camera angle gimmicks in the very first dungeon.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, it's starting.

Square starts milking the Nier-cow by reprinting copies for the original Nier. So far the pre-order for the reprint is only available on squares EU stores.

Not sure why they wouldn't just add it to PSN but whatever. Here's to hoping that they will actually think about a decent remaster, since the game seems to have exceeded sales expections by a decent margin.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I got ending D but still have unfinished quests. I'm really itching to read/watch videos about the game but I'm not sure if I'll spoil things for myself. Without spoiling too much, am I basicaly safe from spoilers?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I don't know what the final ending is. But that is enough of an answer, thanks.

cruel

Cipher
I've played the demo on PSN and liked it. Should I buy it on PS4 (non Pro) or PC? Any big differences?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played the demo on PSN and liked it. Should I buy it on PS4 (non Pro) or PC? Any big differences?
PC port is kinda crap. You need community patch to fix it (mainly native rendering and performance)

native rendering is a must. as for performance, if you have good pc, you can brute force it.

I have gtx 1080 and i5 4570k and never have noticeable drop in 1440p, so never bother with the performance patch

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I did install the rendering resolution FIX, but generally the game runs great.
Mouse plus Keyboard works fine... till you get to the second playtrough and the hacking minigames start. Mouse control absolutely sucks for them.

I don't understand why people mind installing minor fixes/performance improvements on PC. It an extremely small price to pay for generally superior performance and looks.
I mean people were bitching about the Dark Souls 1 port.... and it was only one DSFix install away from being 10x better (graphically sharper to be precise) then any console version.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Cuz' back in the day devs were cool enough to fix teh shit they wanted customers to pay them for...

:rpgcodex:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, back in the day we got nearly none of these cool action/HnS/fighting/jrpg games on PC.

I'm rather happy about getting those ports in the first place. Cause sure as hell I'm not gonna buy a console or use a gamepad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom