Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Which is why Q3 broke UT; it made DM popular.

DM has already become popular when Quake 1 arrived.
I think you misunderstand what popular means.

Almost everyone here has played an RPG. It does not mean that RPGs are popular.
Before Counterstrike online shooters were all about deathmatch. Q3 didn't "make DM popular", it was the last real gasp of deathmatch gaming before more noob-friendly team based game modes overtook it.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Which is why Q3 broke UT; it made DM popular.

DM has already become popular when Quake 1 arrived.
I think you misunderstand what popular means.

Almost everyone here has played an RPG. It does not mean that RPGs are popular.
Before Counterstrike online shooters were all about deathmatch. Q3 didn't "make DM popular", it was the last real gasp of deathmatch gaming before more noob-friendly team based game modes overtook it.
We're talking pre 1999. Online shooter? Please man. That's about as popular as adventure games are today.

thesoup

Arcane
UT2k3 was basically UT2k4 beta.
And I don't even like 2k4 that much.
It tried too hard to be a Quake 3.
No... Just laughably no. 2k4 and q3 are different by a few parsecs. 99 is closer to q3 than 2k4 could ever be.

Unwanted

Bricks

Unwanted
I loled at the mongrels who said UT2004 is slow, or even funnier - slower than UT99 or U3. Olofuckinglol.

Any of you tards from Urope wanna get their asses handed to them on Rankin in 2k4? Hell, any UT! I'll scrub he floors with your intestines without any spamming even.

Also, new UT is gonna be so dlc and consolitisridden, Ill be fucking puking two days nonstop. There is no hope.

thesoup

Arcane
Ut2k4 is slower than ut99 and q3...
The running speed, the shock core speed are faster and dodge has a bigger range.
Ut2k4 has stuff like walljumping and dodgejumping making it hard to master in the movement department + shield gun which slows the tempo and makes it possible to play more tactically and defensively. It's generally less aggressive than ut99 and played with a slower tempo. Movement speed aside, q3 is generally played at a slower pace then ut2k4, at least in duels. DM with noobs in any of them is hectic and stupid.

Gerrard

Arcane
It will be shit.

And I bet they will call it "Unreal Tournament", because none of the people who will play it were even alive in 1999.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It will be shit.

And I bet they will call it "Unreal Tournament", because none of the people who will play it were even alive in 1999.
Many Codexers will play it. Some will say it's not so bad, in fact it's
Good For What It Is
:yeah:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd really love a good ol' fast-paced arena shooter, but I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much. Even if they don't fuck up the gameplay, I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin it with some F2P bullshit, for example.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah, let's get back to talking about the ways and means of the franchise rape.

Destroid

Arcane
We're talking pre 1999. Online shooter? Please man. That's about as popular as adventure games are today.

Half-Life, Tribes, Q2 and their mods were all massive online in Australia, and we have a very limited pool of online players compared to Europe, USA and Japan. A 56k modem isn't the ideal way to play games online, but the games were designed with realistic constraints.

Boleskine

Arcane
Duke Nukem, Dungeon Keeper, Fallout, Thief, UT... Who is next?

img-001.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom