Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Ultima-Inspired Project: Dungeons of Chaos - now on PC

kain611

Augur
This is an ios game and from what I've played so far is definately worth the $2.

Link to creators website https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/

Its a retro pixel Ultima style RPG. This is only chapter 1 but hopefully it continues. Not much in way of crpg style games on ye old ipad.

kain611

Augur
Yeah I was messing around on it and did a search for Ultima and it popped up.

Luzur

Good Sir
I thought you guize wanted to know, since this doesnt seem to be known here yet?

http://ultimacodex.com/2015/02/new-ultima-inspired-project-dungeons-of-chaos/

dev website: https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/

A brand-new, 2D, retro-styled RPG for the iPad, Dungeons of Chaos (by Volker Elzner) seems to be garnering a number of positive reviews from iOS-focused gaming websites. The developer cites Ultima 3, 4, and 5among his inspirations in his chronicle of the game’s development, and the gameplay instructions suggest a game of significant depth, which pays homage to the best features and systems of the RPGs of yesteryear.

dungeons-of-chaos-01.jpeg

dungeons-of-chaos-02.jpeg

well i for one was fucking tagged for this one, too bad its for IPad.

DISCUSS

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah it's a shame about being iPad-only because otherwise it looks pretty interesting as I read through the dev site a bit. Sounds like early Ultimas, but with better character building options + roguelike elements.

Most of the audience that wants to play this sort of game will never see it because it's for iPad.

By the way, here's the dev's response when someone asked about an Android point (not going to happen - and I guess this doesn't bode well for a PC port either.)
AIrBreN.png

I think he is wrong thinking that Unity can't handle tile-based 2D pixel art well. You just need to design your game / interface accordingly.

VolkerE

Educated
Hi,

I am the dev. I was wondering if you (the Android 'user base' that is interested in my game) would be tablet users or what type of devices you have. Reason is, I not only get the "please port to Android" comment but also the "please port to (i)Phone" quite often.

A phone is generally not suitable unless I redesign the game, because of the requirement to accurately hit a 32x32 tile when I am displaying about 30x26 of them, filled with inventory slots, buttons, fight arena etc. A complete re-design for a smaller screen is a long-term thing and less likely.

Porting to an Android TABLET however is more do-able. But I am still personally time-starved as I have a full term job, I am making assumptions here on how much time it takes to make pixel art and tilemaps work well Unity, and it also leaves the problem of Android tablets having various resolutions between them and whether I scale the tiles or scale the UI altogether depending on device.

Is there a tile-based pixelart game on Android that you would say works well? I am open minded, just cautious about where I can invest the time.

Volker

Alchemist

Arcane
Hi,

I am the dev. I was wondering if you (the Android 'user base' that is interested in my game) would be tablet users or what type of devices you have. Reason is, I not only get the "please port to Android" comment but also the "please port to (i)Phone" quite often.

A phone is generally not suitable unless I redesign the game, because of the requirement to accurately hit a 32x32 tile when I am displaying about 30x26 of them, filled with inventory slots, buttons, fight arena etc. A complete re-design for a smaller screen is a long-term thing and less likely.

Porting to an Android TABLET however is more do-able. But I am still personally time-starved as I have a full term job, I am making assumptions here on how much time it takes to make pixel art and tilemaps work well Unity, and it also leaves the problem of Android tablets having various resolutions between them and whether I scale the tiles or scale the UI altogether depending on device.

Is there a tile-based pixelart game on Android that you would say works well? I am open minded, just cautious about where I can invest the time.

Volker
Hi Volker - thanks for stopping by!

Well, I think you'll find many here actually want a Windows version - this is a very PC-centric forum. Me personally, I'd go for either Android tablet or Windows if it was offered. I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. But if it was possible I'd prefer to play this on my Windows PC instead. Is that even an option with the dev platform you're using?

Off the top of my head, the "Pixel Dungeon" game looked good and crisp on my Android devices, and that's all based on tiled pixel art I believe. I know the wide range of Android resolutions available would be a challenge though.

Regarding pixel art and Unity - be sure to check out their recent updates as they've introduced new systems for doing 2D games and UI which might make the whole process a lot easier for you.

I would definitely buy the game if it were on Windows or Android tablets. I'm a huge fan of the old Ultimas and roguelikes.

VolkerE

Educated
I have built it in Xcode which restricts it to iOS or OS X (Mac). I have only released/tested it on iPad at present. Mac/OSX is therefore the lowest hanging fruit, it would potentially be very easy to release a Mac version. Windows release would require a different platform, like Unity.

Unity would allow it to be released on pretty much everything. The effort to do it in Unity is significant given my own shortcomings in coding ability/experience and time. That is criteria no.1: the platform change.

Windows is generally no resolution issue as I would possibly just give a 1024x768 standard output and that is it. Question may still arise whether a Windows user group has different expectations to tablet users. Tablets are touch-based so mouse-over information or keyboard shortcuts are not needed, whereas Windows users may want that. That is consideration no.2: how much would I need to change the actual game engine and UI.

I will give this some thought for sure. The feedback on the App is so overwhelmingly positive that I can probably say that a Windows port is not an 'if', but more of a 'when'.

If I did a Mac release, how does the community feel about having to play it via VirtualMachine or a similar Mac emulator? I have used VM to try out Xcode before committing to buying a Mac, it is not too bad. Although I think music did not work properly.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey Volker! While your game looks intriguing, I would probably not. On my Win tablet i can barely get a linux vm with x11 to run smoothly. Can't imagine what a lagfest an OSX VM must be then. Also I have a hard time imagining that the touch input would work as intended in this scenario. So: native Windows software or no deal for me. But good luck anyways with your game!

mondblut

Arcane
AOL and Compuserve were swimming in this kind of games back in 1995. The only good one was Nahlakh, and that's because it was really a Wizard's Crown kind of game under an Ultima 3-like hood.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
The game looks fun, but why not also make it for Android and Windows? I think you're shooting yourself in the foot with iOS exclusive stuff. It's a shame because this looks really nice and I'd love to play it.

VolkerE

Educated
thanks for the feedback. Was not expecting VM to be fully suitable, but thought I ask.

The iOS-only was not a conscious decision at the time, as funny as that may sound. I simply wanted to build the game I had in my head for 2 decades, and after trying it in Delphi, then web-based (Javascript), then Flash, I just tried Xcode in 2013 and it just worked much better than in all those other attempts.

If I were a professional developer, I would have thought about platform choice carefully at the start. As it stands, I can factor all this feedback in when I make my next move. I am already using Unity for my 2nd project, but I will have to make a decision whether I put that project on hold and build a DoC port in Unity instead.

I am also considering finding a Unity coder to partner up with. What my App so far has done is created an exciting fan-base and business case.

So maybe I will regard the DoC App as the 'soft launch' of something bigger to come. :D

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looking forward to the further development, though I'll probably get it for the iPad anyway.

kain611

Augur
I have it for the iPad. Love it so far. Where's episode 2?

Keep up the good work and if you make it/port it for windows its a day 1 purchase. Would love to play it with a mouse instead of my pointer finger.

Morkar Left

1. Start from scratch.
2. Make it portable with additional content and gameplay
3. Call it Director's Cut, Extended Version or Remake
4. Sell the game again on ipad and now pc/android too.
5. ???
6. Profit

I heard there's a guy that does this for decades...

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I heard there's a guy that does this for decades...

Incidentally that guy did pretty well with Mac first releases even in a time, when the Mac was way less popular.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
I will give this some thought for sure. The feedback on the App is so overwhelmingly positive that I can probably say that a Windows port is not an 'if', but more of a 'when'.

If I did a Mac release, how does the community feel about having to play it via VirtualMachine or a similar Mac emulator? I have used VM to try out Xcode before committing to buying a Mac, it is not too bad. Although I think music did not work properly.
Thanks for considering a Windows port - I think you'll definitely find an audience there. The vast majority of classic CRPG fans are probably Windows users.

Regarding the Mac version - that's not really any kind of solution for Windows users. I think it would be very rare for someone to go to the trouble of setting a VM up, buying (or pirating) MacOS, etc - just for one game.

VolkerE

Educated
I have it for the iPad. Love it so far. Where's episode 2?
Keep up the good work and if you make it/port it for windows its a day 1 purchase. Would love to play it with a mouse instead of my pointer finger.

Episode 2 is in the making. I am having an ambitious target to get chapter2 out by 31 March. It will be at least twice as big in terms of locations, several full scale 250x250 maps as the initial island had, because you are basically going back to the homeland to fight back. I am deliberately committing to very few functional changes as that would take up more time. but there will be class changes (there are 9 starter classes and you can advance to several advanced classes, if you find the right person and solve the initiation quests that is...). And of course many more monsters. You can expect them to be much tougher to defeat than Chapter1. And there will be an 'insignia' item type to use up the 12th item slot currently not occupied. Class specific items, very special attributes.

You can see some early impressions of chapter 2 here: SNEAK PREVIEW

I am totally open to suggestions on what to include in terms of content, monsters etc. Just email me at dungeonsofchaos @ gmail.com

VolkerE

Educated
Out of sheer curiosity: how many hours per day are you working on your game? Sounds like it's a lot.

up until I released it? average of 1 a day over many years. some of the item generation code for example is very old.

Since release, not counting the repeated checking of by blog etc, real story writing and coding is currently half an hour a day. The engine stands so it is 95% content I need to build for chapter2. But I need to ramp it back up to an hour a day average to make the 31 March target.
To translate the tasks:
- lots of fixed tilemaps to draw, litter it with little treasures and discoveries [fun, many hours]
- create the NPC conversations, shopkeepers etc. [not so much fun as it is a constant battle to stay consistent and trying to get a bit of humour in as well (as a non-native speaker)]
- create monsters with tactics/AI/actions [fun, but may need to involve some coding for area attacks which I want to put in]
- check that I have linked all the NPCs, teleport points, treasures, chests, doors so that the app won't crash when one is unlinked [not fun, but a necessity]
- build some random map types so people that want to double their playtime and grind a bit can do so [fun actually, my random dungeon generator seems to work reasonably well and I have some cool ideas how to use it. A typical random dungeon in chapter 1 was an orc lair: 3 types of orcs + 1 boss as main monster types. I will now build a few more, one type being a dragon lair: young, normal and mature dragons being the inhabitants with an ancient dragon as boss.]. Some of these items, rdm dungeons in particular, play off big time in terms of adding replay value and to allow different types of players to enjoy the game in different ways.
- add more items [should be fun, just need to think of meaningful names]
- add one more item type [class insignia], actually easy because it just has a different assigned slot and a lot of 'NO's in the class restrictions. What will be interesting to do is to give these a different attribute generation routine. I want them to be rarer and more interesting, they are passive items but will be allowed to have attack-type bonuses like weapons. or maybe skill bonuses, that would be even cooler.
- implement ability to change classes. not hard, but I need to make it not too easy and as much woven into the storyline as possible.

Why don't I spend more time a day and finish it by end of Feb: I have a wife, two small kids and a demanding day job in Finance. But all under control, 31 March should be do-able. Finding time every day is actually quite hard so proud I got it this far.

How much time did you think I spend?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom