Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum New to CRPGs, starting Arcanum

Photokoi

Learned
Yes people do this all the time.
I don't. And I wouldn't say people do all the time.

And arcanum symbolizes how incredible a game can be when you get out there and risk playability for innovation. Troika had some balls and their ambition, while leading to a buggy game, leaves an example for other devs to try out new things.

Modron

Arcane
Arcanum better symbolizes how good designers can produce a fun game despite having to fulfill retarded demands from publishers in order to secure funding for a game.

Photokoi

Learned
Arcanum better symbolizes how good designers can produce a fun game despite having to fulfill retarded demands from publishers in order to secure funding for a game.
What demands were made for Arcanum that it was so unpolished?

Modron

Arcane
Well I am sure others can dig up the list but front and center would probably be the game must have a real time combat mode. It's been a while since I have seen some of sierra's demands but there were some other :retarded: level requirements.

Tigranes

Arcane
Come now, we know for a fact that Arcanum did not sell enough to please the publisher, and this had a direct impact on Troika's ability to pitch the Journey to the Center of the Earth sequel-spinoff, and that it was obvioulsy a big part of setting reputations and expectations for future investors. Things only got worse with TOEE, of course.

It's true that almost bankrupt is a silly exaggeration, though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was basically no publisher interference with ToEE, Troika botched that one on their own.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Not sure what fantasy world you live in to think that..

Paper

Educated
Thanks for all the advice I got in this thread. Even though people say it's not a good idea, I will still start with Arcanum. If I don't like it I will still give other cRPGs a chance. I just somehow fell in love with the string music, the setting and how sad the game seems. Though since everyone is saying it's a better pick, I've added Fallout (and possibly Fallout 2) to my to-play list.

I bought the boxed copy of the game on ebay so I won't have to read a pdf version of the manual, i can't be arsed doing that. A physical copy is much nicer.

Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The manual is amazing, almost more fun reading it than playing the game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice feels were had reading the Arcanum rage topic linked here, would rage again about silly setting and awkward storytelling.

BTW OP, the best quests of arcanum are the mastery quests, which you won't be able to complete all of in a single playthrough (unless you cheat like me on the third).

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks for all the advice I got in this thread. Even though people say it's not a good idea, I will still start with Arcanum. If I don't like it I will still give other cRPGs a chance. I just somehow fell in love with the string music, the setting and how sad the game seems. Though since everyone is saying it's a better pick, I've added Fallout (and possibly Fallout 2) to my to-play list.

I bought the boxed copy of the game on ebay so I won't have to read a pdf version of the manual, i can't be arsed doing that. A physical copy is much nicer.

Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Again, fuck that 'starter' thing - some people need to start off with Dark Side of the Moon, some people just start off with Animals, some people start off with Frank Zappa instead. If you're interested enough to give a couple of games a go, and you don't need your first game to give you an orgasm and convince you to keep going in 30 minutes, then it shouldn't be such a big deal.

As far as you ARE going with Arcanum, though, it is true that (1) magic is an easier path for playing the game the first time, and then leaves technology as something fun and more fiddley to pursue the next time; (2) the game gets into random phases where it gives you 30 quests (Tarant) or 300 enemies to wade through (Black Mountain Clan), but neither lasts forever and in many cases you can explore other places if it's wearing you down.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I tried installing Arcanum to do another playthrough after a few years but for whatever reason couldn't even get it to run. Eventually got tired and gave up. Too bad, thread reminds me I should give it another go.

grudgebringer

I think Arcanum is a tremendously overrated piece of crap and I honestly think if OP will play it as his first ever 'real' CRPG it might also be his last ever CRPG.

Keep in mind that people gobbled Arcanum because basically they just wanted another Fallout.

Lord Andre

Arcane
A bit late, but my 2 cents would be keep away from guns and make sure that when you enter the Black Mountain Mines you have spare disposable weapons / potions / a way to disarm quite a few traps.

Modron

Arcane
Throwing weapons/archery did wonders in BMM but didn't the strongest tier of magic weaponry not degrade as well or am I misremembering that? And guns are actually pretty good (outside of Shrouded Hills of course) provided you can make/acquire a decent one. Targeted head shots with elephant gun or better are pretty beefy and IIRC the mechanized rifle can do pretty much as much damage as the best swords in the game with less stat investment.

Main issue with guns was placement for the most part as you don't really run into enemies with decent ones until you've progressed fairly far into the game. To get a good gun early in game you would have to murder someone/master pickpocketing/ wait for shop rng to offer one or the components needed to make one.

miles teg

Scholar
Can I ask how did you come up with those three games? Anyway I want to suggest something entirely different and I'd challenge you to start with Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It is a first person (so, no isometric view a la Diablo) game and it's not classic fantasy, but it's one of the "best" overall experience you can get from a cRPG. Just don't start as a Malkavian :P

(before shooting at me, please note I said "one of the best" and not "the best")

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
FALSE.

Fallout 1 UI > Fallout 3 UI, Morrowind UI > Skyrim UI, Command line > GUI.
I disagree.
Fallout 1/2 interface wasn't much different from FO3 one.
Equipment was essentially list based(the same), and handy char sheet/whatever you call it is outweighed by custom keybinds and contex-sensitive skillchecks, which didn't harmed the game design wise(as in - you could pull off just as many ideas as with the old "skill menu design", quality of the content itself is a different thing).

Morrowind->oblivion/skyrim is straight decline though.

Even then if those games weren't designed for being used on(respectively) 640x480 and 1024x768 resolutions, but something larger they would simply have better interface(for example - in fallout you would be able to choose skills from the bar instead of having special menu just for it, or combat log would be bigger and contain more information, or having separate/bigger/rotatable paper doll in Morrowind). And the only reason why it has improved them is having more points on the screen, there are things that could be improved design wise - like specified "equipped" window, tab or filter in Morrowind. Also - I guess you've forgot its journal system in initial form(which I personally didn't really suffered from).

tuluse

Arcane
contex-sensitive skillchecks, which didn't harmed the game design wise(as in - you could pull off just as many ideas as with the old "skill menu design"
This is the opposite of true. There is no more experimenting or any sense of mystery.

Now true, Fallout 1/2 were pretty limited, but somethings things would surprise you.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
This is the opposite of true. There is no more experimenting or any sense of mystery.

Now true, Fallout 1/2 were pretty limited, but somethings things would surprise you.
Not really.
There's engine somewhere and people running around say it's broken?
Repair.
Computer? Science.
Guy laying on the ground and screaming in pain? Doctor.
Locked doors? Lockpick(unless the description says you need keycard or something).
Combatlog informs you about trap being spotted? Traps.

It was extremely logical, of course it required some remains of brain(it's like solving x*2=5 for x, very basic thing), but having contex-sensitive stuff was just little step behind of it and I'll gladly exchange "experimenting" for not having to do additional few senseless clicks.

tuluse

Arcane
Not really.
There's engine somewhere and people running around say it's broken?
Repair.
Computer? Science.
Guy laying on the ground and screaming in pain? Doctor.
Locked doors? Lockpick(unless the description says you need keycard or something).
Combatlog informs you about trap being spotted? Traps.

It was extremely logical, of course it required some remains of brain(it's like solving x*2=5 for x, very basic thing), but having contex-sensitive stuff was just little step behind of it and I'll gladly exchange "experimenting" for not having to do additional few senseless clicks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom