Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I won't be a proper Kings Quest anyway, if you don't have to wake up at 6 am and start installing the 79 floppy disks, so you can play in the late afternoon. Filthy casuals.
Whatever abomination this will end up to be, I do not want it to be part of my inventory.
Okay, I only played KQ as a kid because I had already played every other advendshur game available. But if they pull such a stunt with Roger Wilco, then I will.... I... will write an angry letter. They already killed Larry, the line must be drawn here! End of Rine!
:outrage:

I wonder if that game will have a cliff you can fall off if you fail the QTE. And being forced to climb it several times.... arrrrrgh! Curse you KQ3! :argh:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
C&C : don't walk properly to Manannan's mansion => fall, die, reload from the floppy. Do it properly, be transformed into a cat, reload from the floppy.
Yet KQ3 is one of my best childhood memory.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
We narrowly escaped Roger Wilco becoming a console platformer turd, but the Two Guys From Andromeda are making Space Venture (no Roger Wilco though).

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It makes me wonder, though - if a game like QFI had the publicity power and ad money of a machine like Activision/Sierra - how would it do? Really, you know? It has a lot to do with it.

Bt

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never really played the KQ games because when I tried them a few years back they seemed too hardcore to me. Might try them again tho since they are getting so much praise here.

But even if I suck at KQ I have no idea how anyone could get excited for THIS. I love platformers but this will be one of these games that play itself anyway - it's activision after all. Also the protagonist looks really really dumb, god

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Failing was an important part of Sierra games! The best gags were the "you have died" messages. Failed to pick up an item at the very beginning of the game? Hours wasted, have fun playing it again! But it was so much more rewarding if you managed to beat the game finally... aaaa good times.
I never managed to beat the VGA version of PQ1 though, it required me to call a cab in the end, but I didn't have a phone number. It was probably a case of "every 'murican knows that number, duh!"
Still, I wouldn't want to have missed any of it. Sierra games helped me to pratice english on top of that.

It makes me wonder, though - if a game like QFI had the publicity power and ad money of a machine like Activision/Sierra - how would it do?
Not well. Adventures are just a niche for the PC master race. Money is made through the console versions, which have to work on a "great reward for the player spending only 1 hour", so no big publisher would waste his money on hyping one.
Come to think of it: mobile phones are actually a pretty good platform for it today, so people can spend their train ride using their brain on something else than soduko (or mindlessly killing birds).
Adventure games were certainly more educational while growing up than just moving your finger very fast. At least my dad thought so. Adventure games? Here, have one, play whenever you want son! Shooters? Nope, bad for you.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Right, not well - but better. I know it's niche, but you know, every time we make the front page of GoG and have a sale.... the game starts to sell like it wasn't previously. By leaps and bounds. Exposure is a big part of things, for sure. Branding, advertising and penetration will really go far, for sure. I know QFI is a niche product, but even getting exposure in that niche is hard. I must get emails every few days like "Wow!! I didn't even know about this! This is awesome! I just found out about it!" and, of course, I feel like I've been around everywhere tirelessly screaming about my game til the point where it's annoying.

You're right, though, money is in console versions - and even more money to to made in downloadable console games. So a big publisher isn't going to be interested. But, as long as I'm dreaming, I wish I had their Ad/Promotion budget!!!

Bt

Bliblablubb

Arcane
All the whining in this thread made me pick up KQ 4-6 on GOG

This better be good! :argh:

(yes i have huge sierra adventure game deficiencies)

I remember being younger and playing KQ 5 a little bit. Remember being in the village, exploring.

I also remember how every other screen killed me, be it instantly dying in the forest or death by scorpion.
KQ5 was the one with the owl right? The owl that mocked me every time I died? Fuck you owl!

But, as long as I'm dreaming, I wish I had their Ad/Promotion budget!!!
Someone needs to make a picture of that german general in "A bridge too far" who upon seeing the huge amount of aircraft over him dreams about having that much stuff at his disposal.
Caption: "If I only had that budget at my disposal.."
Okay, it's tasteless joke, but this is the 'dex so if get a pass.

Dexter

Arcane
I never really played the KQ games because when I tried them a few years back they seemed too hardcore to me. Might try them again tho since they are getting so much praise here.
You could always try the AGDI Remakes: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html if text parser and this is too much:
Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

36.jpg

I never really got too much into the text parser Adventure stuff either, even though Adventure games were my favorite genre for a long time.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could always try the AGDI Remakes: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html if text parser and this is too much:
Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

36.jpg

I never really got too much into the text parser Adventure stuff either, even though Adventure games were my favorite genre for a long time.

Thanks, I'll try those. Although I meant the stuff about that you can easily get stuck in a dead end and have to start over - I don't really enjoy this in adventure games :oops:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The big problem with Sierra AGI/early SCI games was that the parser was very limited and the picture showed lots of stuff that didn't exist as gameplay elements.
Oh the frustration of "look at stuff - there's no stuff here". And "look" didn't tell us everything we could interact with.
This was no issue in Level9 or Magnetic Scrolls games (with graphics) because the descriptions were *sufficient* to convey the information and the pictures were merely cosmetic.
So I'd say sierra games were better once they dtched the two-word parser.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Although I meant the stuff about that you can easily get stuck in a dead end and have to start over - I don't really enjoy this in adventure games :oops:
That was one of the reasons Lucas Arts adventures were held in much higher regard by everyone i grew up with: you could not fail. Today the codex would scream: "LA dumbed down the adventure game!"
The big problem with Sierra AGI/early SCI games was that the parser was very limited and the picture showed lots of stuff that didn't exist as gameplay elements.
Oh the frustration of "look at stuff - there's no stuff here". And "look" didn't tell us everything we could interact with.
The last KQ I played back then even had items you could pick up sparkle or looking "out of place", so you wouldn't miss them... That, the game being piss easy and the childish scenario making me feel "too old and uncool" made me quit KQ.

Exchanging Space Quest's puzzle solutions at school was just better than saying "oh yeah, beat the game already. no big deal."

Duraframe300

Arcane
Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

36.jpg

Thanks, I'll try those. Although I meant the stuff about that you can easily get stuck in a dead end and have to start over - I don't really enjoy this in adventure games :oops:

These remakes have an option to remove the dead ends.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Ok, so within 10 minutes in KQ1 which I never played before I managed to find a dagger, slay a dragon and retrieve the first plot item. This was unexpected :lol:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Failing was an important part of Sierra games! The best gags were the "you have died" messages. Failed to pick up an item at the very beginning of the game? Hours wasted, have fun playing it again! But it was so much more rewarding if you managed to beat the game finally... aaaa good times.

Except some of the puzzles were pretty obscure. Pie + Yeti, throwing the boot at the cat, etc.

KQ 6 was better designed by comparison when compared to KQ 5.

Divinity: Original Sin
Although I meant the stuff about that you can easily get stuck in a dead end and have to start over - I don't really enjoy this in adventure games :oops:
That was one of the reasons Lucas Arts adventures were held in much higher regard by everyone i grew up with: you could not fail. Today the codex would scream: "LA dumbed down the adventure game!"

In fact, in both maniac mansion and zak mckracken, you could die or get stuck if you missed an item. Indiana jones and the last crusade had multiple ways of solving puzzles, but you could still die, but it was more forgiving in a way that if you missed an item, you could still finish the game, and it had a cumulative point system that made the game replayable. It was improved in fate of atlantis. Monkey island 1 was the first to intruduce the no death/not get stuck trend, but Lucas arts games were long enough and difficult enough that could last a long time for you to finish them, and even being like that, they were replayable since youy could miss a lot of silly easter eggs and funny things you missed in a first playthrough.

Renegen

Arcane
KQ 7 is also pretty good, despite simplifying the controls even further to CLICK and DONT CLICK, the game is hard as balls thanks to really good puzzles, the cartoon feel to it is nice, it always reminds me of the Warcraft adventure game that was never released, strange. But KQ7 is almost impossible to run on modern systems so it's talked about a lot less, I'd be impressed if GoG has a nice version of it by now. KQ8 is also not bad, I liked it at the time but I was young and didn't mind new gameplay.

KQ 7 is also pretty good, despite simplifying the controls even further to CLICK and DONT CLICK, the game is hard as balls thanks to really good puzzles, the cartoon feel to it is nice, it always reminds me of the Warcraft adventure game that was never released, strange. But KQ7 is almost impossible to run on modern systems so it's talked about a lot less, I'd be impressed if GoG has a nice version of it by now. KQ8 is also not bad, I liked it at the time but I was young and didn't mind new gameplay.

Urmmm...Hmm?

KQVII is by FAR the easiest King's Quest game by a very large margin (except perhaps for Mask of Eternity? I don't remember that game at all).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
In fact, in both maniac mansion and zak mckracken, you could die or get stuck if you missed an item. Indiana jones and the last crusade had multiple ways of solving puzzles, but you could still die, but it was more forgiving in a way that if you missed an item, you could still finish the game, and it had a cumulative point system that made the game replayable. It was improved in fate of atlantis. Monkey island 1 was the first to intruduce the no death/not get stuck trend, but Lucas arts games were long enough and difficult enough that could last a long time for you to finish them, and even being like that, they were replayable since youy could miss a lot of silly easter eggs and funny things you missed in a first playthrough.
That is correct. But were newfags, so our LA-voyage started with Indiana Jones and Monkey Island. We only found much out later about MM and ZMK. Generally LA games were far more forgiving than the Sierra ones. And boy was I proud when I found out how to skip the fighting in IJ by using my mad movie knowledge. :obviously:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Why wouldn't anyone expect this to be shit? I mean it was announced at the Dorito Pope's Awards.

d11cuxd.jpg

Gord

Arcane
That is correct. But were newfags, so our LA-voyage started with Indiana Jones and Monkey Island. We only found much out later about MM and ZMK. Generally LA games were far more forgiving than the Sierra ones. And boy was I proud when I found out how to skip the fighting in IJ by using my mad movie knowledge. :obviously:

Sometimes I fired up Maniac Mansion only to drain the pool and cause a nuclear meltdown.

Good times.

Divinity: Original Sin
Why wouldn't anyone expect this to be shit? I mean it was announced at the Dorito Pope's Awards.

d11cuxd.jpg

funny part of this is that it looks like kojima is the fan and the dorito pope is the superstar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom