Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...You don't lose the WIS AC since you can focus on DEX if you don't go Monk. I'd know, I ran through the Aielund Saga with Druid/Shifter/Monk, it's almost pathetic in its ineffectiveness and pointless monk levels once you start getting the powerful shapes...

With Monk you can get AC bonuses from both WIS and DEX, and can boost both abilities with potions, etc., so that even with a min-maxed character both can have a positive score. Also I would be a little wary of using Aielund as a standard since it makes a lot of rule changes, and unfortunately does not document them very well. I think I vaguely remember someone on one of the old Bioware Forums complaining that Aielund's rule alterations had somehow nerfed his Druid/Monk build, but I do not recall the details, and so am not sure precisely what the issue was.

You don't have enough WIS to gain access to the Paladin spells, making CoT a better alternative. Sorcerer is also wasted in this context, unless you plan to level it now, but then the RDD is wasted, since Sorc is most powerful when it's exclusively leveled, you also can't use heavy armor due to the arcane spell failure, unless you get Automatic Still Spell. Should've gone Bard/RDD/CoT. You'd have had Bard Song and more martial prowess. You waste a feat going this route, however, since I see you want to focus on scimitars, so you either take Martial Proficiency and go RDD first or take a useless WF to qualify for CoT and gain Martial Proficiency automatically. You could also go Bard/RDD/Blackguard if you absolutely want the Paladin CHA saves.

Pal 8/RDD 10/Sorc 22 (it that is what he is going for) is not that bad. Biggest issue is it is kind of a lvl 40 build, as far as its full capabilities go, but it is reasonably effective as a melee warrior throughout. More so than Bard/RDD/COT, actually, which would be quite weak at low and even medium levels. By contrast starting with Paladin gives Heavy Armor & Martial Weapon Proficiency and big saving throw bonuses at Lvl 1, strong BAB & HP at low levels, and eventually access to Divine Might/Shield. A less min-maxed version with more WIS would also get some benefits from Paladin spells, which are easy to underrate (Bless+Aid+Prayer+Divine Favor, or even a subset thereof, is not a trivial boost, Bless Weapon is devastating against Undead, etc.). It eventually gains access to great spells to use in conjunction with a melee combatant like Improved Invisibility, Elemental Shield, Acid Sheath, etc, and in the meantime even 1 Sorc level allows casting all sorts of spells from wands and scrolls. (+Ditto most of what Haplo says.)

In Swordflight specifically, furthermore, Paladin gives access to bonus sidequests, dialogue and special items, and one can also equip the character with Elven Chainmail and the Bladesinger's Shield, giving decent AC that does not interfere with arcane casting. Though one mistake with this build I note at first glance is that all the skill points put into Discipline are probably a bit of a waste. If you have decent AC any blow that can hit you at all will normally also be good enough to overcome a Discipline check, which makes Discipline redundant for anything except builds that have unusually low AC for some reason.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Beat the first dungeon on SF Ch3 was pretty good I liked the parts with flame elementals and the lava in a certain location (no spoiler) because it cannot damage me. Makes me think about this "Shield of lesser Elements" I have sitting in my bag, If there is a "Shield of Greater Elements" then I can be immune to two elements.

Pal/Rdd/Sorc strongest Spellblade on NWN 1 or you do Fighter/Cot/Wizard for loads of feats and same AB but much weaker stats. I just want to have a super high threat dev crit at level 20ish and be able to cast some timestop and maximised IGMS if I feel like it.

Black Dragon is a good build too because you get a sneak attack and special bulls strength but you have to be EVIL!! Oh and the name "God Dragon" is just one of those silly names adventurers pick for themselves that explains what they are like a Scythe wielding bard calling themselves "Deathsong". Thanks for the feedback on my character, I've never used the Paladin Spells before and didn't think they were worth it but that holy avenger sounds cool.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Is it cheating to have " Saving Throw Automatic Failure On 1=0 " ?

I mean my character has such high saves it seems kinda lame to have a 5% chance for even the lowest DC spell to work on me. Also I thought of a new Spellsword build Fighter/WM/Wizard.

Proleric

Novice
Is it cheating to have " Saving Throw Automatic Failure On 1=0 " ?

In SP, everything you do is for your own amusement. Nothing you do can possibly harm anyone else. So, whatever rocks your boat is ethical.

Cheating has often been a matter of lively debate. Some people believe they're entitled to tell us what to do. Fortunately, in SP gaming, they have no power over us.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
OMG look at me, my saves are so high I kinda feel now that the enemies are no longer entitled to have that 5% chance to succeed with their spells, that's how special I am.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Is it cheating to have " Saving Throw Automatic Failure On 1=0 " ? ...

It would obviate the need to use potions and such to confer immunities and thus ease the difficulties of resource management, perhaps simplifying tactical choices as well (e.g., "Is it worth taking a risk and relying on my saves or expending a resource to avoid it?"). It might also reduce the number of times you make one little mistake and instantly die as a result, if you have enough nostalgia for old school RPGs to cherish such moments. In effect you would be playing on an easier difficulty setting, which is, of course, always an option.

Inf0mercial

Augur
It also removes any of those fun moments where a creature you are having a massive issue with fails a save and suddenly you face roll the entire encounter.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Well I've got enough of the special status protection potions because of killing goblins for a certain quest (must have killed over 500 to get that map and they managed to escape again!) so I guess it is no trouble at all to use them.

I hope on SF:4 I can finally kill those goblins for good (and take his scimitar) they are getting very dangerous.

Edit: Aww, well SF:3 is finished I'll give it another play with a different race character. I think I may have missed a few dungeons on the road too. Here is a screenshot of my character unbuffed same as before just divine shield. I self buffed the weapon damage with flame weapon and two rewards from quests. Look at the damage!

4NJTKR.jpg

10/10 series can't wait for the next chapter! Any suggestions for other modules to play while waiting or feedback on my characters development?

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... 10/10 series can't wait for the next chapter! Any suggestions for other modules to play while waiting or feedback on my characters development?

Thanks, glad you liked it. Your character might want to keep an eye out for armor and shields that do not penalize arcane casting, as he is starting to get to the point where he can actually cast useful spells. As far as other modules go, it depends what sort of module you are looking for, as there is a lot of variety. Combat-heavy, RP-friendly, good story/writing, a bit of everything, other special expectations?

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh there are so mnay fun modules to play but just started on Hunt Through Dark very engaging if you like to play an elf that is not green right? so expect a lot of evil and being a Drow they are evil elves not the typicsal Gold or Sun elves used to in games but evil elves from the underground where they live. I had som e trouble running it because it needsold cep not the new one but once you get that one and the new one you should be okay to play old advenutres with cep and new ones too so check it out and the link.

allo chapters are in the archive and hak too.

LINK

Alaso read it is for NWN2 as well.

Thanks,
Sherry

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Just beat NWN OC (again) for fun using a Fighter/WM/Wizard the end boss Morag was a real push over she used all her spells to no effect then tried to hit me with her staff which can only hit on a roll of 20, even then it will not do damage what a push over...

I remember the first time playing OC was challenging and I died loads, maybe playing combat modules like Swordflight has made me a better player. Might give this Drow module a try.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, play HotU if you want something that will castrate you then nail the dispossessed articles to the wall for the crows to pick at. It was more difficult for me than even the hardest hardcore NWN user-made module I ever played. Of course, I might have gimped myself on my single playthrough, but if you don't figure out the puzzle on how to prevent the diabolical end game boss from seducing all your epic-level companions/henchmen over to his side, you're doomed. Doomed, I say! DOOMED!

The NWN OC can be beaten with probably a single PC... on the hardest difficulty... by a newbie to RPGs that had never even played an anime flash game involving cute, hopping anthropomorphic bunny-boys.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, play HotU if you want something that will castrate you then nail the dispossessed articles to the wall for the crows to pick at. It was more difficult for me than even the hardest hardcore NWN user-made module I ever played. Of course, I might have gimped myself on my single playthrough, but if you don't figure out the puzzle on how to prevent the diabolical end game boss from seducing all your epic-level companions/henchmen over to his side, you're doomed. Doomed, I say! DOOMED!

The NWN OC can be beaten with probably a single PC... on the hardest difficulty... by a newbie to RPGs that had never even played an anime flash game involving cute, hopping anthropomorphic bunny-boys.
Hotu can also be soloed.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Just beat NWN OC (again) for fun using a Fighter/WM/Wizard the end boss Morag was a real push over she used all her spells to no effect then tried to hit me with her staff which can only hit on a roll of 20, even then it will not do damage what a push over...

I remember the first time playing OC was challenging and I died loads, maybe playing combat modules like Swordflight has made me a better player. Might give this Drow module a try.
How can you play the OC. I have tried to beat the OC 3 times now but I can't because I legit fall alseep while playing it. It made me quit NWN before I played all the custom modules I wanted to try.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
HoTU for me was easier because you can go up to +10 in weapons and have so much regeneration and they start you off at level 15, I've beaten it 5-6 times even played with a group online (best to make a character that will use stuff no one else will use or just ninja it lol).

How can you play the OC. I have tried to beat the OC 3 times now but I can't because I legit fall alseep while playing it. It made me quit NWN before I played all the custom modules I wanted to try.

I was playing it on 2x speed also I rushed the companion quest in the first CH and crafting materials so I had some good gear right at the start, once I got my Desert Wind things were much easier. One funny thing I noticed was that some custom weapons go up to +4 while others are only +2 so I ended up using the +4 Ravager even though I was a Scimitar WM.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... I remember the first time playing OC was challenging and I died loads, maybe playing combat modules like Swordflight has made me a better player ...

I would expect so. Indeed, since in Swordflight you are playing against significantly more powerful mobs, and doing so with worse gear, compared to any of the official campaigns, one would have to get better to complete it. I expect many players remember various fights in the OCs as being more difficult than they really are because they were complete noobs at the time they played.

I remember HoTU as being basically a cakewalk, significantly easier than even the OC, which itself was not very difficult. Perhaps that was because when playing the OC I was still learning the system to some extent. Perhaps also because it was the expansions that introduced Prestige classes, many of which have somewhat OP capabilities. The biggest problem with HoTU is the absurdly overpowered gear it hands out like candy on Halloween, making a complete hash of anything even resembling game balance. That may actually have been part of your problem. Most likely you loaded up your henchmen with tons of this OP stuff and then had a problem when they both turned against you. Granted, there are a few fights in HoTU that can be troublesome if you are not prepared for them, and it is easy to be unprepared given how rare the actually challenging ones were. The fight against Grimgnaw & companions in particular is one that often troubles new players with its sudden spike in difficulty. It has also been a very long time since I played any of the official stuff (too many custom modules that are better) so perhaps I am forgetting some troublesome encounters too.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
... I remember the first time playing OC was challenging and I died loads, maybe playing combat modules like Swordflight has made me a better player ...
The biggest problem with HoTU is the absurdly overpowered gear it hands out like candy on Halloween, making a complete hash of anything even resembling game balance. That may actually have been part of your problem. Most likely you loaded up your henchmen with tons of this OP stuff and then had a problem when they both turned against you.

Haha. That's probably exactly what happened. One thing I really loved about HotU that I'll never forget was that section in the spider-infested caverns where you hit an entire area that is just one huge dead magic zone, rendering all your Swords of Smite +10 and Codpieces of Invincibility +10 (using hyperbole here of course) completely useless. Then you encounter the Gargantuan-Mother-Spider-Bitch-Boss with nothing more powerful than a rusty shortsword at your disposal, and, I think, your companions poisoned to the point where they can barely lift that rusty shortsword. lol. So what I did was throw my surviving henchman under the bus and sacrificed her to the Spider Goddess Thing while I sneaked past and deactivated the anti-magic pillars. It's moments like this that I live for in RPGs, though some will argue that it's the very definition of "artificial difficulty."

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...Swords of Smite +10 and Codpieces of Invincibility +10 (using hyperbole here of course)...

That only barely qualifies as hyperbole, given the ridiculousness of HoTU's item handouts. You could also accumulate far more Potions of Heal than you were ever likely to actually use. Possibly another reason why you found your Henchman's betrayal so devastating if you had loaded them up with these as well. In any typical NWN scenario, one of the player character's greatest advantages is that he possesses an effectively unlimited supply of healing potions, while his foes do not.

..It's moments like this that I live for in RPGs...

It is indeed a great moment in an RPG when you get into some sort of trouble that forces you to scramble and think outside the box, and then actually succeed in finding a solution. I suspect too many players deprive themselves of this pleasure by reloading the instant anything goes the least bit wrong.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn it, rogueknight333. Was gonna wait for Swordflight to be fully complete, but it looks I just HAVE to see how a Barbarian is gonna handle.
If it's anything like Sands of Fate I'm going to be raging for a long time at my decision to not give a shit about optimum builds.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've seen a lot of praise for the Prophet module series around here, and basing my decision on that decent premise I decided to give it a try. I played through the Prologue already and I'm... kind of finishing Chapter 1 I guess from what I see? I started as 5 level Wizard, right now I'm a 9 level Wizard, playing on Hardocre ruleset as per author's design.

I think I did everything I could up until the point that I'm right now in the story, that is right before
The Tower That Touches The Sky, or however it's called - that's the mountain citadel built by prophet-king
. I
cleared the drow temple, killed the hive mother and the dragon, did all the possible sidequests that there are, I think I did, because I'm not using a walkthrough
. My question is.

Do this get better?

Seriously, considering amount of praise this modules get here and there I'm baffled by how mediocre whole experience is. Sure, some encounters are nice, but just some, there is a lot of trash (goblin fortress was a mistake), and what I guess should be remarkable (
dragon fight
) is very disappointing (
dragon went down quicker than some goblins and I'm not even kidding, hive mother was much tougher, but that one only because companions are fucking retarded
). Story is all over the place, I sort of dig the direction and overall feeling of the plot, but as of now it's nothing to write home about.

Am I still up to something good just around the corner perhaps, lads?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not really. Prophet is kind of overrated, the story that everyone seems to hype this series for has twists that are telegraphed not only in itself, but throughout literature in general. Going through it once is fine, though, so I wouldn't stop just because it isn't great. I did like the optional stuff in part 1, but I don't remember if there's anything like that in the later parts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom