Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Just a quick post to state that I have not abandoned the CYOA but it also is not likely to be finished tonight.

The update may take a while longer to finish. All it needs are the options but I am still mulling over the best way to present them and the supporting information. It will probably take me a few more hours to get everything typed out.

Unfortunately I can not really guarantee when that will happen. I have a bit of a busy schedule (busier than normal at least).

I will try to either post the update or some sort of accurate estimate of when it will be done within the next ninety six hours but there is precious little I can guarantee at the moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Thursday? :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It is thursday. :negative:

Hmmm... maybe we should hijack the LP and write it ourselves.

I have this idea where we hang the whole Dwarven Kingdom for being spies/agents for one power or another... :M

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Karwelasgender: ⚧ Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Russia, actually. We have had our own share of ideas. :obviously:

Comrade Albrecht VII is an inspiration to us all. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Karwelasgender: ⚧ Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Parrots:
    My dear God, now I know why you make all our invasion, attacks and war plans. :smug:

I'm potato and I'm proud potato.

Kurwa.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Then you are about to extrapolate what I intend to do with the remaining cultist nobles and bankers in Stoneheim. Starting with Birgir and his wife. :incline:

I guess we'll see how many dwarves you can fit on a tree.

That, of course, would depend on how amiable Reinhard will be to the whole proposition.

^ Top  
  8. Karwelasgender: ⚧ Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Parrots:
    Heh. I like the idea... but who the hell is Birgir?

^ Top  
  9. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    There is a lot of useful information in that 'Dwarven Kingdom at a Glance' link on the first page. :)
    Also, he is the asshole who owns Thyra's familial debt. The girl (who is an indentured servant at the Palace) started selling confidential information to Rand to pay it off.

^ Top  
  10. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Eh, I feel like writing something to keep the thread alive for a while longer.

I wasn't entirely joking about what I said.

True, we have better priorities to take care of for now, like that 5000 strong army of undead behind the gates, but if our plan of inserting ourselves in the heart of the city succeeds without some horrific casualties, they shouldn't be too much of a problem. They should not be prepared for this. Everything just went down too spontaneously to account for it. Mazzy wasn't here until yesterday, nor was the fairy alliance, and the army was due to arrive at Stoneheim in ten days at the earliest while being severely crippled by the spider demons and ghols. One day of Mazzy involvement later, and the situation is a complete 180. If the gating plan works, our army will reach the city faster than the news of the spider demons' defeat.

If we blow up their wights and destroy the siege engines, we might just sit back and smoke weed while watching them try to cross the city walls by piling up dead bodies upon dead bodies. Unlike the forces at Blackrock, they don't even have anywhere to run - the north belongs to us and the south belongs to the ghols who - under Nanshe's guidance - would be much more difficult to roll over than a few scattered clans.

The cultist forces coming at us from below the ground, now that's a problem. Though I am sure we will figure something out. We had this idea of telling Mazzy about the spearhead that could end the Watcher and pointing to the Goddess as the one who holds the key to its activation. We'll just have to gently push them to come to some sort of an agreement that would include the withdrawal of the Goddess' forces from the mortal realm. And there is always a spell Mazzy used to gather the creatures connected by blood in one place to get rid of those who wouldn't leave willingly.

Unfortunately, her human allies aren't connected by the demon blood, and the Goddess' control over them is very indirect. So we can't rely on magic to solve the problem of the Eberhardt rebels and the cultists for us.

So we will need to employ something different, and whip out good old political stratagem, 'Divide and Conquer'.

Remember that pedo-demon-lawyer Morpheus told us about? Some kind of sorrow sucker I believe it was called. Supposedly, very influental among the nobility and banking circles. Well, here is our way in.

Let our prince summon him for some business of the crown or the other. He wouldn't be able to refuse such a request, nor can he dictate the terms of the meeting. Then we will take over, much like we did with Albrecht and Wenzel.

We have all the means to oust the fucker and expose him for what he is - a demon and a parasite. We hold his life in our palms. I suppose we could offer him a deal (that we might or might not honor) - our silence for his 'cooperation'. Being a famous lawyer with no small power, I assume he deals with a lot of important people, and I don't think all of those deals are lawful. Given his demonic nature, I am almost certain he deals with the less savory elements of the nobility, and I think there is a large overlap between his clientele and spider demon cultists. Just what we need.

If he refuses to cooperate - well, we can always seize him and extract this information ourselves. None would openly raise a ruckus if we publicly demonstrate he is a demon.

With loads of compromising information on our hands we will finally have a rope to pull and bring our detractors out in the open. But it woudln't be fun going after them the old-fashioned way. Instead I intend to let them do the job for us.

It will require a certain amount of cooperation and goodwil on Reinhard's part, but I think we might convince him to offer amnesty to those who were not directly involved in the Goddess worship and were only thinking of it as a harmless pleasure cult... if they withdraw their support from the rebels or wherever it was their money went and make a generous donation to the state treasury in recompense for their past misdeeds. Like, half of their fortune generous. Given that an involvement with such matters is usually punishable with death, that alone might make this preferable in the eyes of some. To lose half of their fortune, or to be sent to the gallows and have everything confiscated - that's not a very difficult choice, is it?

But we will also offer a carrot to our stick - if any of them point to the cultists that did not come out from their closets yet, they would be entitled to a part of their fortunes when those will be inevitably seized by the government. A way to cut their losses, so to speak. Naturally, we should ensure that false accusations are punished, not rewarded, as we have the necessary means to determine their truthfulness, what with us being mentalists and buddies with Finn.

So, on one hand it will encourage people to come out with their hands in the air, while on the other it will provide an incentive for the same people to sell out their former 'comrades'. If my guess about the extent of rot in the nobility is correct, people will stand in queues to denounce each other and grab a slice of a pie while they are at it. Either way, the support for the enemies of the Crown will diminish while bringing in a revenue stream to reward the loyalists with.

And the common folk would not mind at all. The sharks eating each other are no concern of theirs, they are only worried about not ending as a corpse or a spider meal. If anything, they would approve of it.

Anyone interested in pursuing that course once we sort out our immediate military problems?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Kz3r0gender: ⚧ Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    The problem is that half of the kingdom is composed by spider cultists, I don't think is wise to act openly against them.
    If we manage to gather enough informations on the most influential ones we should try to dispose of them inconspicuously, trying to give them an aut-aut can pretty much make them revolt en masse.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    The spider cultists do not have support of the commoners since the city is under attack by spider demons, and they do not have the sort of power to openly oppose the Crown, else they wouldn't have hid and operated like terrorist cells.

With the Royal Army positioned in Stoneheim an outright revolt looks unlikely. Doubly so if we do that after destroying the undead horde and the demons. It was the same with Eberhardts - while they held considerable resourses, in the end no one was mad enough to openly come out in their defence. Who would fight for them, mercenaries? Most of those would want to live long enough to collect their payment.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    I wholeheartedly support this plan.

^ Top  
  14. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    We need Fangshi back first though. :M

^ Top  
  15. archaengender: ⚧ Learned Patron

archaen
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Kz3r0gender: ⚧ Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    PoE is really one of the worst manifestations of the decline, it affects even other games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    It's the hookers, man.

^ Top  
  18. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    *cough* ah, right...

Well, it is a Thursday now even if it is not the Thursday I meant.

So here is the situation.

1. I am out of the country. That might complicate things for the foreseeable future, we will have to see how work goes.

2. My computer started giving me problems about this time last week but it seems to be working now, that is one problem down.

3. I do not have reliable wifi access which means I will be a bit limited in when and how I can post things.

What does that mean for the update? Well, I hope to have it out this weekend. I should be able to secure wifi for a few hours to post and answer questions, then we can go from there.

Naturally I can not make any guarantees but things should stabilize in a few months one way or the other and I will probably be able to take on a more regular update schedule after that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Ah, well, since the main culprit is back and I have a serious case of writing incontinence, I'll throw in another idea as well.

What do you guys thing about a state-wide amnesty for Eberhardt soldiers to quell their rebellion?

Think about it, the ones that oppose Albrechts regime and are at odds with the Royal Army are Eberhardts with their remnants, spider demons with the cultists, and necromancers. No matter how you look at it, an average soldier can't be happy being on the list of what essentially are 'race traitors'.

While Eberhardt elites and their officers are either convinced of the House being falsely accused or too deeply involved in their operations to consider abandoning their cause (since it would mean their deaths), the case is not so clear-cut for an average soldier who, in all times and ages, only knows what his commander deemed necessary to tell him - and that's usually 'nothing'. The officers might fight out of a feeling of loyalty to their liege or for their lives, but I am not sure the grunts feel the same. They are bound to doubt if their 'betters' don't tell them everything (and thus could really be involved with the Dark) and if they aren't committing a mistake by waging war on their King, who seems to keep both the demons and undead at bay and thus aligned to neither.

What do they stand to gain by continuing this civil war? Most of them likely stayed with the Eberhardts because they thought the crown to be corrupt and viewed the Eberhardt Resurrected as the best chance their country has. If we prove House Albrecht to be strong enough to repel the invaders, their motivation is likely to take a hit.

If I am not mistaken, currently anyone partaking in the rebellion is guilty of treason. If we leave the grunts a way out of this, the rebellion will run out of steam sooner.

The show of mercy can only come from a position of strength, so we might want to milk Mazzarin's presence for all it's worth.

The officers would likely have to be killed or imprisoned depending on their part in the rebellion, though. Or even recruited if it'd be worth the trouble. They are too dangerous to just let them leave. But without people to command they are not going to achieve much.

Of course, that gesture is not without drawbacks, as there will inevitably be Eberhardt agents who will try to go 'legit' by pretending to be common soldiers. But that's the nature of the beast. Those will eventially be tracked down by the Pathfinders and rooted out by our spy networks.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    ^ Top  
  20. Jestergender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jester
    Parrots:
    Should work doubt that spy posing as grunts will find out anything important. I would leave low level officers dunno what ranks dwarven army use. Its possible to do, but... Switching this much low level officers will make this red army all soldiers no leadership kind of thing.

^ Top  
  21. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Red Army circa WW2 had an officer for every 5-6 soldiers. The principle behind its formation was the same as behind the dwarven army, but the unit size was smaller. If anything, there was too much leadership. :M

Anyway, I meant that we would leave a vulnerability for our enemies to exploit, as once the amnesty is declared, we would not longer be able to kill Eberhardts on sight without sufficient evidence that they are involved in something unsavory. They could be preparing terrorist acts in broad daylight and we would be limited in our means to stop them. On the other hands, if they do end up doing something like this, they will quickly run out of trust with everyone (and first of all, with those from their former ranks who would legitimately surrendered).

^ Top  
  22. Jestergender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jester
    Parrots:
    Was thinking about Great Purge.

We most likely want to get rid of people who can't, or dont want to take the offer. Adding time limit to this amnesty might prevent cult elite from pulling a fast one on us, still that might cost us part of soldiers surrendering after defeat of cult. With amount of manpower, Ebi ressurection and other assets they will do what they can to make this work... I dont think that normal people will be allowed to go peacefully. Things will get messy, might be right path to making people see what's going on.

On other hand though we can add few agents to those accepting to keep watch. I doubt they are able to tell who is who with this whole war going on.

^ Top  
  23. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    That's the idea. The more they try to hold them by force, the more resistance their movement will suffer as a whole. It will only lead to mass desertions or their soldiers telling on their superiors in hopes we finally kill them off and leave the normies be.

Yeah, and our resources are kind of already thin as they are.

A double edged plan, but I find it compelling nonetheless.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    ^ Top  
  24. Jestergender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jester
    Parrots:
    It don't have to be our agents. Dwarven TIM or king can use their resources. There is plenty people who want to keep things calm. If we will have to take watch ourselves we can split them into manageable teams. Big enough to fight, small enough to be unable to do big damage.

With first cultists army dead we will probably try to solve undead problems now. Mazzarin take care of Watcher and we will have breathing space.[/QUOTE]

^ Top  
  25. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    I don't actually make a difference between our resources and those of Albrecht. We are kind of fused with the ruling family to the point where a fall of one will inevitably cause a fall of the other.

Albrecht does not seem to have much in a way of resourses either, though he has an advantage of being a King. It looks like the ones he counted on, the Royal Guards, are compromised, and the Pathfinders are too few. It so happened that the best forces at his disposal are actually us.

After - if - we solve the undead and rebel problems in Stoneheim, we will have to return to Myrgard and finish our work there. That's where two out of three renegade Lords are, and at least one of them, Hesse, is planning something by hiding fugitives from the Pathfinder prison. The ride is going to be a long one.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)