Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can we drown out the sound somehow? With Lyssa's magic, or by natural means, like an explosion? Or perhaps a song of our own?

Now, a singing retreat would be a thing to behold. :salute::lol:

I am probably not going to request it, but if it makes sense in context... DOO EET! Singing out commands to a melody of our own would be beyond awesome.

Well, in theory anything capable of drowning out the noise the creatures make would be sufficient, explosions and the like should work even if momentarily.

A singing retreat... hmm... it might be possible but you would need music of your own and you do not have any musicians with you. You would also need a way to sing louder than the creatures' music which will likely get louder as the others get closer. So there are a few practical matters that would have to be dealt with first. (It would be much easier to pull off if you actually had some vocal magic of your own to use but none of your mages are familiar with the necessary spells.)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hm. Can't Lyssa's 'False Sound' spell cover the volume or music problems? Just curious. A simple, catchy, loud tune that is easy to sing along to?

She'll probably be more useful by casting Strong Wind to ward off projectiles, though.

Well, it can work in a different way. We can sing a song together as we retreat. I am thinking in terms of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri here, hypnotic trance vs. the empath song (except their functions are kind of reversed). :)

We have 20 people, most of them dwarves. A drunken dwarf may not be the most mesmerizing thing, but I bet it's a loud one. :lol:

A song needs no music, it creates a rhythm of its own, though the music definitely helps.

And I will insist that two sufficiently different rhythms played together create a cacophony that loses its mesmerizing quality.

Have you ever been able to enjoy music while singing to a different tune? :)

In fact, now that I've tried it (the things we do for these LPs, man!), you are more likely to pay attention to the rhythm of the song you are singing to, regardless of what plays in the background. It just becomes noise, as the mind is busy trying to get the next verse right. :)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Fair enough, if you want to try out singing them I can add it to the plan, I just need to know if a majority of voters want to try it.

It is looking like I will have time tomorrow so the vote will close in fifteen to sixteen hours with an update to follow within twenty four hours of that.

Nevill

Arcane
I'll just do this:

3. These creatures apparently can affect one's will through their melodic movement and singing. If that becomes a problem for your forces, you think you may want to try and snap them out of it and/or protect them by having your people sing a song of their own.
A) You try it. It might save lives if it works.
B) You do not try it. It sounds silly and it might just make you an easier target.

And vote 3A, if Morpheus doesn't have a better idea.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
So with four in favour of singing and four undeclared (opposed?) we have a bit of a tie on the issue. I will give it a few more hours for someone to flop or for another vote to be cast.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Ill vote for 3A. It is kind of silly and is guaranteed to mess up our command and control, but maybe we will roll amazingly well and this is the start of our Cabaret career.

Nevill

Arcane
It is kind of silly and is guaranteed to mess up our command and control.
Yeah, when the DM does not say it is a 'reasonable precaution' and requires a vote instead, you can tell it is going to be some Berty-level fun. :salute:

Still, one can not resist the call of Awesome. :lol:

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, that settles it. When I am finished with what I am working on I will start in on the update.

You will bargain with a demon to save your skin through a rolling retreat and you will fight the unspeakable horrors with the power of song...

The update will be out within twenty four hours (likely closer to sixteen hours).

Baltika9

Arcane
The dears need to learn. Honestly, it's about time. Given how long they've been chilling with dwarves, they might know more of it than us.

Nevill

Arcane
The dears need to learn. Honestly, it's about time.
They have led a sheltered life so far, it says so on the character sheet. We need to have a proper talk with them, about birds and bees and eldritch abominations.

Jester

Arbiter
Well, it can work in a different way. We can sing a song together as we retreat. I am thinking in terms of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri here, hypnotic trance vs. the empath song (except their functions are kind of reversed). :)
You will bargain with a demon to save your skin through a rolling retreat and you will fight the unspeakable horrors with the power of song...
The update will be out within twenty four hours (likely closer to sixteen hours).

Special dedications:
Fangshi whole link
Nevill : whole link especially 3:18
Baltika9 whole link

With best wishes from old chap Jester.

Other song more in kind with characters.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, nothing liek going out with a song on your lips. Especially if your last song is something like this:

Jester

Arbiter
Must say TD official video is almost made for this situation description.
"You will bargain with a demon to save your skin through a rolling retreat and you will fight the unspeakable horrors with the power of song..."

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
We play Tanacious D in skirts. :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I have no clue how this will go down. What I do have, though, is faith, and an idea that I think might be worth it. I don't know where the update will stop and require us to make a choice, but if we make it to the exit successfully, I want an interjection to decide what to do with the fissure and the creatures below. Hopefully, Morpheus or his messengers will still be around, because it might involve them.

Then again, it might not. Need to see what happens, first.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
This can't possibly be a coincidence. I mean, just compare:
Kage & Jables said:
"From whence you came you shall remain,

Until you are complete again"
And:
Cthulhu said:
"But someday, somehow we will be complete..." the rich tenor of a young man takes up the tune.

"And then, oh yes then, we shall devour the meek." a great booming baritone brings the simple rhythm to its conclusion.
I think it was always meant to happen. :lol:

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:

*Cough* I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of a demonic ROCK OFF! in the coming update. You will just have to wait and see. ;)

Nevill

Arcane
We must master the spell school of Metal. It must happen! :salute:

But for now I hope the only spell we know will play a major role in the upcoming update.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
We must master the spell school of Metal. It must happen! :salute:

Actually if you do want to master METAL then your best bets are either the swordmasters of the Fir'Bolg (who have never accepted an outsider amongst them) or the Druid Brewmasters of the North Sea. Both know a number of rather interesting spells that could be considered musical in nature... just putting that out there... :lol:

Jester

Arbiter
Jester said:

*Cough* I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of a demonic ROCK OFF! in the coming update. You will just have to wait and see. ;)
Hmm was it scheduled before, or my post helped a bit? :lol:

Hmm if we will master thunder we can put our science division to electric powered instruments.

If we ever use earth element here is little something i personally find hilarious.
{Edit. not sure if it worked so 17:19 is the moment i am referring to, although whole thing is worth watching.}

We will smite evil with The Power Of Metal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom