Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
asxetos said:
Can we tell Thais to cast her heal spell from the ring on the officer before we assault the white mage?

It is a touch based spell so you would need to get across the courtyard to him to use it but yes I can add it as an option if you want.

Kz3r0 said:
I suggest to use first greater energy bolt then mantal attacks on the white mage.

Sorry, missed the edit. Sure, I will add it as an option under A.

Jester said:
E - Derryth do alone BIII, Thais will help Dwarfs D II.

Added

Current Tally:

Azira Biii
Smashing Axe Aiii>Ai
asxetos Aiii
Kz3r0 Aiii>Aii
Jester E>Biii
Kipeci Aii>Aiii
archaen Aiii
Nevill Aiii
GreyViper Aiii
Grimgravy E

A) 7 votes
i.
ii. 1 vote
iii. 6 votes
iv.
v.

B) 1 vote
i.
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C)
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.

D)
i.
ii.

E) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 7 votes
i.
ii.
iii. 7 votes
iv.
v.

B) 1 vote
i.
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C)
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.

D)
i.
ii.

E) 2 votes

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Nevill said:
Fangshi, which ones are almost spent?

The Oneiroi and the Warlock are just about spent. If they keep casting they will do permanent damage to themselves. They do not seem too concerned about it though.
So they are exhausted already, half damage.

[COLOR=#808080]Fangshi[/COLOR] Rain barrel? I find image of Soulless caring them for such occasion, or getting ambush shots spreading to look for barrel and coming back hilarious. :D
Seriously either that necromancer is lucky, crazy prepared or that barrel contain something interesting and trying to get it out.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Seriously either that necromancer is lucky, crazy prepared or that barrel contain something interesting and trying to get it out.

:lol:

More like it happened to be lying around and she got lucky enough to dive behind it or that archer would eventually have killed her. Soulless do not make good meatshields as they lack... well meat...

There are odds and ends scattered throughout the courtyard as well, it is not a completely clean and clear space. I just got lazy with the map and trying to format it was annoying me so I kept it simple.

Of course maybe there is something interesting in that barrel after all but you would need to get close enough to open it if you want to find out. ;)

Jester

Arbiter
Jester said:

:lol:

More like it happened to be lying around and she got lucky enough to dive behind it or that archer would eventually have killed her. Soulless do not make good meatshields as they lack... well meat...

There are odds and ends scattered throughout the courtyard as well, it is not a completely clean and clear space. I just got lazy with the map and trying to format it was annoying me so I kept it simple.

Of course maybe there is something interesting in that barrel after all but you would need to get close enough to open it if you want to find out. ;)
KING IS INSIDE! FUCKING KIDNAPPERS.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ii. Greater Energy Bolt: You will have Thaïs use up your energon cubes and let her link with you if necessary to cast Greater Energy Bolt at the mage. With any luck you will blindside him and kill or seriously wound him.

v. Greater Energy Bolt followed by synchronized mental assault: You will link with your friend and let her cast greater energy bolt at the mage. You will then follow that up with a coordinated mental assault on the mage. Your mental spells will likely be weaker than in Aiii due to the strain of casting the energy bolt.
Wait, just how much energy the Greater Energy Bolt takes to cast if it requires both Energon Cubes and a chunk of our own stamina to pull it off once with two mages?

Would using our mental spells require Energon Cubes? For example, if we amplify their intensity (if that's at all possible)? I dislike 'all or nothing' outcomes with spells (and it looks like GEB might miss), but I would like to give the guy all we've got, holding nothing back. I am just not sure which one of the options it is.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Wait, just how much energy the Greater Energy Bolt takes to cast if it requires both Energon Cubes and a chunk of our own stamina to pull it off once with two mages?

As mentioned with the casting of the Warrior's Mask, when one of you tries to use a spell that you have not mastered you waste a fair bit of extra energy. It is one of the many disadvantages of trying to utilize knowledge that you do not have a full understanding of. Using both energon cubes should be enough to cast the spell but it could also fail or take longer to cast than it should in which case the women will have to burn through their own stores of magical energy.

If it works though greater energy bolt should do quite a lot of damage.

Nevill said:
Would using our mental spells require Energon Cubes? For example, if we amplify their intensity (if that's at all possible)? I dislike 'all or nothing' outcomes with spells (and it looks like GEB might miss), but I would like to give the guy all we've got, holding nothing back. I am just not sure which one of the options it is.

It might if you cast enough spells in rapid succession but with the mental spells you would be using spells and a method of attack that both women are fairly familiar with. They can cast all the mental spells they have mastered at full power with little difficulty so the cubes will not be needed, at least at first.

In all options they will give their enemies the best they have.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I meant to ask if it was possible to increase the efficiency of known spells by overcharging them. Mental spells are a delicate tool that requires finesse, but maybe they could be turned into brute force ones with enough power applied (say, fry their brains with an Assault spell instead of just scrambling them).

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
No overcharging in this case I am afraid. Spells naturally cap out at their maximum strength, once operating at one hundred percent efficiency (maximized) they can not be further strengthened without help.

There are two ways to go about increasing the power of a spell. The first is to simply take the spell and improve or alter the theory and formulas that allow it to function. So from energy bolt Thaïs worked out the theory for greater energy bolt though she has not actually tried it yet.

The second way to do it is to make use of some of the meta spells that are out there to cheat a little and boost the strength, speed, etc. of the spell. Unfortunately neither Derryth nor Thaïs know those kinds of spell.

Fangshi

Arcane
I will have time for an update tomorrow, so the votes will close in twenty hours. The update will come twelve to sixteen hours after that, maybe earlier, we will see.

Azira Biii
Smashing Axe Aiii>Ai
asxetos Aiii
Kz3r0 Aiii>Aii
Jester E>Biii
Kipeci Aii>Aiii
archaen Aiii
Nevill Aiii
GreyViper Aiii
Grimgravy E

A) 7 votes
i.
ii. 1 vote
iii. 6 votes
iv.
v.

B) 1 vote
i.
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C)
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.

D)
i.
ii.

E) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 7 votes
i.
ii.
iii. 7 votes
iv.
v.

B) 1 vote
i.
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C)
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.

D)
i.
ii.

E) 2 votes

Fangshi

Arcane
Should be safe to call it now. Aiii wins, you will attack the thin, white mage with mental spells.
The update will be up within sixteen hours when I have a moment.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmm... what would have happened if we tried to snatch his weapons out of his hands midfight? Can the spell even be resisted? The Spider Goddess could by interfering with our mind, but that was a goddess.

Maybe it can still be used as a fallback strategy.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Hmm... what would have happened if we tried to snatch his weapons out of his hands midfight?

It would have thrown him off to be sure. If it did not immediately get him killed he would have to adjust his strategy but he has other ways of fighting if he has to.

Nevill said:
Can the spell even be resisted?

Yes but someone has to be aware that you are trying it. Mazzarin, the Faceless Man, Nine, they could all easily stop you from doing it. You don't know if this mage could or not.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Heh, and now I wonder if those manacles on the Warlock and the Oneiroi mage aren't controlling them somehow (because manacles = slaves... uh, it made sense in my head at a time; well, that and a complete lack of self-preservation coupled with the fact that the two are the odd ones out among our enemies) and if we wouldn't be able to break that control by retreiving them.

Of course, the downside could be that Derryth and Thais fall under the influence of the spell, and it is unknown how much free will would change their loyalties in the first place.

Unfortunately, fancy experimental plans and life of death situations don't mesh well.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I think the manacles are anticaster devices but now that they are broken or are only partially or non effective. Or they could just be regular manacles and they are performing a jail break from inside the compound.

Fangshi said:
He has two things in common with the Oneiroi, the first is that he too is wearing a set of broken manacles, they glow with heat as he casts

This is what makes me think that the manacles are trying to absorb the spell but failing.

Nevill

Arcane
Of them all, only the necromancer has a reason to be jailed in the compound (since she is the only one who we know was caught by the royal guards), and she is not wearing any.

Though of course if they were caught after cleansing the city from mercenaries, they would be put into an anti-magic ward, so maybe you are right.

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 29: Desperate Measures

There is little time. Too little time. Far too little time.

With shouts and with screams the two sides join battle.

Here. A pair of guards tear down and strangle one of the rogue dwarves.

There. The Warlock hurls another ball of amber flame through the air. It catches two of Argus' men.

They scream as they burn, gouts of flame and blood coat the ground.

In front of you the slaughter unfolds and you know what you must do.

Against all the noise, the screams, the howls, the shouts. Two figures stand in complete silence. They could not be more different.

The mage stands, chest out, chin up, a confident sneer writ on his face. He gives the impression of a new born flame, confident, hungry, and ready to destroy. His clothes, new and expertly tailored shift in the morning light. His slacks and his coat turn from a pristine white to the most perfect black you have ever seen. You would not be the slightest bit surprised if he pulled that little trick merely to hide the blood he intends to spill. He taps his foot as he adjusts his hold on his axe, any second now he will launch his attack.

In contrast the Heron Guard stands with head bowed. He is relaxed, his breathing controlled, his mere presence gives off an aura of serenity. His lacquered plates shine in the sun, the banners on his back flap in the breeze, his blades are drawn and at the ready. He is ready, for whatever might come.

Looking at him you feel more confident, more sure of yourself and of what you intend to do next.

"The white mage," you catch Thaïs' attention.

Your friend nods, "Yes, he is the biggest threat here."

He approaches the Heron Guard a spring in his step and contempt in his eyes.

"Think we can take him?" you ask her.

"Hmm... maybe," she replies.

He darts towards the Guard, a pale flame in the early morning. With axe and with blade he lashes out in a series of quick stabs and chops. The Guard weaves around the blows, a calm morning breeze catches the fabric of his banners as he deflects every blow sent against his. They slide off his armour and his blades; many miss entirely. He takes everything the mage throws at him without breaking a sweat.

The mage takes a step back and grins, he has tested the Guard and found him worthy of his time. The next attack will be at full strength. That is when you will strike.

Thaïs knows that look, she knows what you want to do and she will support you without reservation. It is the only way you will have a shot, "Mental or elemental?" she asks.

"Mental, I think," if the two of you work together and if you can throw him just a little off his guard the Heron Guard should be able to win this.

You hope.

He launches his attack and so you launch yours. With any luck you can get him in a single volley.

Just as he steps within range of the Guard's blades the two of you hit him together. It is like punching a wall, it hurts, but you press on. You hit him in perfectly, together, and blow after blow strikes home in a matter of seconds. The two of you manage to punch a tiny hole in his defenses, it hurts him.

His attack fails, he missteps and the Heron catches him across the side. Only the spells he has active save him, he is just quick enough to avoid the worst of it and just tough enough to take the blow and slip back out of the Guard's range.

The mage scans the courtyard and spots the two of you.

He gives you a wink. It is so very cold.

He drops the axe, places one perfect, ivory hand to his side as the blood flows. He sneers and begins to cast. He snarls as the wound freezes over. An interesting solution to be sure, you doubt it will last long and it probably did quite a bit of damage as well but he will not bleed out in the short term.

He does not bother to retrieve the axe. Immediately he attacks.

"Ready for another attack?" you ask her.

She nods, "Whenever you are."

You focus on him again as he advances on the Guard but he is terribly distracting. His movements are... wrong... for lack of a better term. He moves at odd angles, his limbs twist, they spiral and his blade lashes out in impossible ways. His strikes are completely unpredictable. The mage lands a blow, then a second and a third, each more severe than the last. The Guard takes three step backward and steadies himself as the mage lunges in. This time though the Guard barely moves, as each blow comes for him he waits and at the last second he blocks, he parries, he dodges. You are actually a little surprised that the Heron Guard can keep up. Then you notice that the Guard's eyes are closed, he is listening for the blows and it seems to be working. But he will not win this way, he needs help.

The two of you resume your attack. It is more difficult this time, he is ready but you have no intention of attacking directly again.

You begin with a false memory, the love of his life is in danger, he needs to help, he-

He laughs in your mind. This is a man that loves no one but himself.

Thaïs tries something a little more clever. She suggests that he would gain an advantage by shifting his footing, by pressing his attack just a little farther. That should work, he has proven to be quite aggressive so far.

You throw your support into this new feint. You show him images of his enemy defeated, of victory and success.

He does not respond, he maintains his assault on the Guard. Quick and brutal, at least on the surface, but now that you observe it more closely you can catch the nuance.

He is not like a flame. He is not hungry. If anything his soul is overfull. He is confident but it is not the brash confidence of the new flame. It is the ancient confidence of entropy, of the end of all things and the cold of the grave.

He is ice masquerading as fire and the thought chills you to the bone.

You think upon this and come to a number of realizations.

He is not going to fall for suggestion or compulsion as he has no real desires to exploit.

False memories will mean nothing to him as his own true memories mean so very little.

And crashing through his defences will be akin to trying to shatter an iceberg with a spoon.

He is wearing down the Heron Guard as you watch. Quickly and cleanly he is closing the noose around the Guard's neck.

You sigh, "Thaïs, we have to switch tact here. There is nothing we can threaten him with, nothing we can promise him to make him slip up."

The mage catches the Guard in the leg. The Guard falls

It is all over for the Guard and when he falls the rest will follow. This is it, it is over, the Heron guard is resigned to his fate, the mage is...excited? No. He radiates passion but there is nothing behind it. He is empty. He is cold. He is... bored?

Then it hits you.

Oh! Oh that might work...

Thaïs frowns, "So what do we do, force our way in again? Retreat?"

"No. No I have an idea. Give me your hand and trust me," you grin.

As a nasty little hope worms its way through you, you grin.

-------------------------------------------------

Six Winds Soaring Eagle has served the empire for over four hundred years.

The mage sneers as he looks down at Eagle. He begins to hum under his breath, the Guard can not quite make it out.

In all that time Eagle has only failed in his duty once.

The mage places a single, very expensive shoe on his enemy's chest.

The night Muirthemne fell he was not there. The night his emperor fell he was not there.

The mage shakes his head, he continues to hum to himself, "It's too late to be grateful."

Eagle lived through the shame of that failure. At least he will not live through this one.

The mage brings the blade down, "It's too late to be late again."

In mid stroke he stops, he is staring at something, someone.

Whoever it is has his full attention.

Eagle knows an opportunity when he sees one.

And he has never been one to hesitate.

----------------------------------------------------

The mage stands triumphant. He takes no joy from that fact.

What is one more victory in a chain of endless victories.

As he stands there ready to take a life he is so completely, incredibly, indescribably, bored.

He raises the blade and mutters the lines he has thousands of times before. He says them with all the feigned emotion he can muster. It is important to seem 'alive' even if he no longer believes it himself.

The blade come up, then it comes down.

It will snuff out a life.

Then something far more interesting happens.

A mind reaches out to him. Strong but also bolstered by another.

It takes him a moment to remember those pretty little things across the courtyard. Perhaps he will take them with him when he leaves. They look interesting enough, perhaps he will-

She plants a false memory in his mind.

Effortlessly he resists it.

She tries again.

Again he shrugs it off.

She is not even trying to hide it. What is she trying to do?

Again she tries.

This time he lets it through.

She can not harm him, not really, and he is awfully curious about what she is trying to do.

The memory takes hold. It will only last for seconds before his mind rejects it.

He takes it in, he considers it.

Oh!

Oh dear.

Now that is interesting.

Their enemy is back.

Mazzarin is back.

That is far more important than anything that is happening here.

That is something that his 'master' would very much like to know. Provided it is not a lie of course but he is fairly certain it is not.

He will definitely have to take these women with him now. He will need to interrogate them thoroughly about the return of the archmage.

Perhaps this trip was not a waste of time after all.

He smiles at the women.

He bows to them slightly.

Then he remembers he is still in a fight.

Just a second too late...

-----------------------------------------------

"Hah! Got the fucker!" you cheer as the Guard's blade comes up and opens the mage's throat.

You hug Thaïs, she hugs you. You cheer.

Then the mage's blade comes down and into the Guard's chest.

"Oh!" your friend gasps.

"Damn..." you curse in frustration.

"Wait!" she points to the Guard.

Thin ribbons of green light weave around him. That is right, he is a Heron Guard which means he probably has mandrake roots.

The thin, white mage staggers backward as the Guard regains his footing.

The mage gasps, the spells around him begin to collapse. He raises a hand to his throat but the Guard deftly cuts it off.

His spells unravel, dissolve, and evaporate. His clothes begin to grey, to flake and fall apart. His skin wrinkles, cracks and splits away as it dries over his bones. His hair falls out, his eyes cave in, his blood turns to dust as he collapses backward and shatters. The wind catches what is left of him and carries it away into the sky.

And as quickly as that it is over... or at least you hope it is over...

The Guard salutes the two of you from across the courtyard and you each give him a slight bow in return before each turning to new enemies.

The battle is bloody, the casualties are high but victory is now a certainty.

It is just a question of time.

------------------------------------------

It has been a busy week. Things moved quickly in the aftermath of the battle.

Casualties were high on both sides. Argus survived in large part thanks to your ring but the Cavalry Officer did not make it. Over half of the Albrecht guards also perished. At least your enemy's casualties were higher. The Oneiroi and Warlock both died on their feet, they cast until it killed them. The rogue dwarves also all perished in the melee. Of your enemies only the necromancer survived, badly wounded. She was taken away to a more secure location along with the three pieces of the Watcher you recovered. Finally of the archer that provided your much needed opening, not a trace was found.

You never did reach the Grand Assembly. It turns out that the entire city had been attacked by necromancers, mercenaries and worse.

As soon as the sounds of battle reached the Assembly it dissolved and the lords scattered to the wind. Many took up the defence of the city but many more fled to their estates in the countryside or to the old capital of Stoneheim. Amongst them were the Eberhardts and most of their supporters.

The King has seized upon this opportunity. He has formally accused the Eberhardts and their supporters of treason and conspiring with the Dark.

They try to run, to hide but against the Pathfinders such things are impossible.

While Bari and his people track down the Eberhardts you have some time on your hands but Albrecht has been kind enough to suggest ways for you to fill it. He does not want you splitting up and he does not want you 'wandering off' and to that end you now have forty House Albrecht guards as a permanent escort.

This changes your situation a little. You will be moved into one of the wings of the Royal Compound as formal guests of the King and Queen. You have a number of decisions to make as well.

1. 'Heroic Duties' - Albrecht wants you to stay out of trouble. He is willing to let the two of you sit in the palace all day if you want but he also has a number of suggestions on how you can spend your time as 'Heroes of the Kingdom'.

A) Parties - You spend much of your time meeting the dwarven nobility, establishing contacts and getting to better know them. The older nobility in particular will be eager to meet you.

B) Hunts - A popular pastime amongst the officers of the Royal Army is ghôl hunting. You will join some of these hunts to prove your skill and establish ties with the younger nobility.

C) Dinners - The merchants and bankers are not interested in the grand parties of the nobility. They like long, hardy meals and good conversation. If you want to establish more ties with the merchant set this would be the way to do it.

D) Relief Work - Much of the city has been ravaged by fire or attacks by the undead. You could spend your time helping the poor and desperate, they would certainly appreciate the attention.

E) Sit in the Palace - If you do not want to bask in the attention of the whole city you could just stay in the palace and work on your spells. (Feel free to list spells to master or teach, the top choice(s) will be chosen if this option wins.)

F) Meetings - You will set up a number of 'social' calls to the Mayer Estate to discuss your future dealings. The other merchant houses will take note of this of course.

G) freeform - any plan will have to meet with Albrecht's approval though.

2. The Rest of your group - Lyssa and the girls have remained at the safe house to avoid attention but the girls want to come see you. How do you want to handle that?

A) You move the girls and Lyssa into the palace.

B) You move the girls into the palace and Lyssa will stay at the safe house.

C) You move Lyssa into the palace and the girls will stay at the safe house.

D) They will all stay at the safe house

E) They will all stay at the safe house but you will have them brought to the palace to visit when they want.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Party/Organization Changes:

Party Changes:

Derryth:

Gains Magical Item:

1. Gold Ring - Argus returned it after the battle.

Loses Magical Item:

1. 1 Energon Cube - expended fighting the thin, white mage.

Gains Skill:

1. Hero of the Kingdom

Thaïs:

Loses Magical Item:

1. Energon Cube - expended fighting the thin, white mage.

Gains Skill:

1. Hero of the Kingdom

Argus:

Loses Magical Item:

1. Gold Ring - returned to Derryth

Leaves Party

Organizational Changes:

Reputation Gains:
Imperial Government +5
Heron Guard +5
The Legion +5
The Warlocks +5
The Royal House of Albercht +35
The Royal Army +40

Reputation Loses:

The Brannons -40
The Honourable House of Eberhardt -100
The Barings -30
The Goldsmith Guild -30
Mayer's Estate -10

Rolls:

Fair number of rolls in this one.

First up were the general, abstracted rolls for the fights you were not involved in. Argus did well, his men did about average. The Oneiroi and the Warlock did okay but not well enough to actually survive once the thin, white mage fell. They needed allies to win that fight. The Necromancer did not achieve much of anything except get shot one more time and get stabbed trying to flee. The Soulless were useless. The Archer did quite well. The guards and rogue dwarves just kind of were there, neither side did much of anything really.

The interesting fight was the one you picked. The thin, white mage rolled very well on all of his checks except the last one... The Heron Guard did alright but would have definitely lost had you not been there. The ladies did fine, but not spectacular. Though on your last attempt to influence him you with your friend's help you rolled damn near perfectly. Also the 'spoilers' rolls were interesting as well but those are plot relevant so I can't get into them.

Finally the Cavalry Officer confirmed his uselessness by bleeding out in record time. Seriously, that guy did not do one thing right since I introduced him. It will probably change a few plot arcs now that he is gone but that will be dealt with in later updates probably.

Last edited:
Hey, did we manage to save the officer that caught a spear the hard the way when we took out the mage? Or did he bleed out by the time we got to him? I seem to remember something about him having a couple of minutes, but I'm not sure how long the fight lasted. And the other fighters as well, did the archer survive?

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
Hey, did we manage to save the officer that caught a spear the hard the way when we took out the mage? Or did he bleed out by the time we got to him? I seem to remember something about him having a couple of minutes, but I'm not sure how long the fight lasted.

He did not make it sadly. Bled out quite quickly really. I must have deleted that paragraph by accident, I have put it back in the update.

asxetos

Augur
I fucking love all the mental assault scenes.
I guess we could have saved the Cavalry Officer too while the Heron Guard and the White Mage tested each other...

1C. Now its time for business.
2A. We cant keep hiding Lyssa forever.

Nevill

Arcane
asxetos said:
I guess we could have saved the Cavalry Officer too while the Heron Guard and the White Mage tested each other...
No way in hell I'd be crossing the courtyard with all the fireballs and Soulless flying around and the rogue dwarves duking it out with the royal guards between us and the officer. No until we officially switch to the profession of a battle mage.

Hm... can we just meet Mayer instead of all the other parties? I firmly believe that he is all we need, business-wise, and I'd rather not waste the time trying to befriend those Barings and Goldsmith pricks. We'll be leaving them in the dust once we start our own business with the Empire anyway.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Funny how we took a rep hit with the merchant factions there. They must've been backing the usurpers.

It'd probably be a good idea to explore that a bit more thoroughly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom