Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mystery solved? "Anonymous industry source" reveals unpaid royalties as reason for BG:EE takedown

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most companies have the same automated software that generates such replies. FanBot, I think it's called.
It's actually called "retards." Bioware has been utilizing it for years.

Indranys

Savant
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19702/gamebanshee-update-on-current-situation

You are my hero...you put it well together. This is a very good example of what is happening in my home country right now (Egypt), how rumors and speculations, and a horrible nasty deceiving media can do. Create conflicts, civilians deaths, chaos, unrest, illegally overthrowing an innocent leader and so on.

:(

The Muslim Brotherhood supports BG:EE
andhaira.png
I need no politics bullshit in my favorite gaming site please.
The chaos is their own fault IMHO.

On topic, there's no way that Beamdog can rape another classics after this turn of event. :lol:
Make your own original shit, Trey.

Septaryeth

Augur
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19702/gamebanshee-update-on-current-situation

You are my hero...you put it well together. This is a very good example of what is happening in my home country right now (Egypt), how rumors and speculations, and a horrible nasty deceiving media can do. Create conflicts, civilians deaths, chaos, unrest, illegally overthrowing an innocent leader and so on.

:(

The Muslim Brotherhood supports BG:EE
andhaira.png

But seriously though, ignoring all the political drama,
News with "anonymous industry source" is usually taken with extreme salts.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So perhaps this did not initially sell as well as Beamdog expected, and then did not have enough to pay the royalties to Atari?

Azazel

Arbiter
I thought by definition Royalties were a percentage of sales, not sure how they could have fucked up hard enough to be unable to pay them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In the company I worked for (NOT Video Games) we paid royalties based off of units sold. What I wonder is, were they intentionally not paying royalties, or there was an amount of royalties they had to pay after the product was released, but they did not have enough to pay that. I just don't know the specifics of video game royalties, or the contract Beamdog had with Atari.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well my anonymous sources indicates this news is bullshit.
How about that?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well shit, now I have to reply.

FYI, I don't know who the source is or how accurate the information is. I would wager it is accurate but incomplete in that it doesn't provide a full picture of what's going on.

My belief is that the terms of the contract between Overhaul and Atari stated that Overhaul would not have to pay royalties until sales exceeded a certain number, perhaps across certain platforms; perhaps there is a discrepancy or difference of interpretation in the contract's terms that is holding things up. I doubt it's as simple as "Overhaul are keeping money they owe to someone else."

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
For what it's worth: I don't have access to this source, I don't know who he or she is, and I don't even know the exact statement given to us. However the supposition that the information is not reliable, accurate or even deceptive as part of some sort of conspiracy against Overhaul Games and/or Atari is patently ludicrous.

Like all such tips the information was provided to us by a source under condition of anonymity; it is fully listed as unconfirmed and nowhere in the news post is it in any way said to be truthful, reliable or to give the full picture into the situation. There's no spin put on the info and as far as I know it's presented as it was received by us. GameBanshee or its writers are not liable for any misinterpretations, whether deliberate or not.

:kingcomrade: in other words.....what are you posting exactly? Rumors?

Zeriel

Arcane
That's 50% of modern journalism right there. While it sucks when "sources" just lie to the media, it's not a new practice to use unnamed sources, and if you're going to trash Game Banshee for it, might as well trash every other news outfit in the world.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In what arrangement does a developer pay the publisher royalties?

When the developer is being allowed to independently sell a game through their own digital distribution site and they don't own the license?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They don't pay them to the publisher, they pay them to the license holder, it's just the same entity in this case. Beyond that I have no idea about the financial arrangements in this relationship.

Zeriel

Arcane
And they're licensing an entire fucking game. I'd be shocked if there weren't massive, punitive royalties involved. Selling mods is a pretty effortless business to be in, really.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Well shit, now I have to reply.

FYI, I don't know who the source is or how accurate the information is. I would wager it is accurate but incomplete in that it doesn't provide a full picture of what's going on.

My belief is that the terms of the contract between Overhaul and Atari stated that Overhaul would not have to pay royalties until sales exceeded a certain number, perhaps across certain platforms; perhaps there is a discrepancy or difference of interpretation in the contract's terms that is holding things up. I doubt it's as simple as "Overhaul are keeping money they owe to someone else."

I like how nobody responds to you over there :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And they're licensing an entire fucking game. I'd be shocked if there weren't massive, punitive royalties involved. Selling mods is a pretty effortless business to be in, really.
True, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to pay something like 60% as royalties... they may fool retards into thinking it's a massive overhauls with shitloads of new stuff, but I doubt that Atari is that dumb.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They don't pay them to the publisher, they pay them to the license holder, it's just the same entity in this case. Beyond that I have no idea about the financial arrangements in this relationship.
Maybe an idea for :balance:to screw over Obsidian even more next time they do a Fallout expansion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe an idea for :balance:to screw over Obsidian even more next time they do a Fallout expansion.

That would be screwing them over less. The truth is that Beamdog got a really sweet deal here, although they squandered it by trying to establish their own digital distribution portal that nobody cares about instead of trying to negotiate a percentage on Steam sales.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Rumors, hearsay, internet gossip... not worthy of codex news. Also Gamebanshee publishing this shit without verified sources... :hmmm:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

That is what I am wondering as well.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Rumors, hearsay, internet gossip... not worthy of codex news. Also Gamebanshee publishing this shit without verified sources... :hmmm:

'Sup Trent?

*high five*

I just dislike this type of "journalism", if you consider internet gaming sites new sources that is. I've dealt with unscrupulous newspaper editors before when i wrote for a political blog, some verified their sources before publishing, a lot of them just run with what "sounds" better on the headline without much regard to the fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
*high five*

I just dislike this type of "journalism", if you consider internet gaming sites new sources that is. I've dealt with unscrupulous newspaper editors before when i wrote for a political blog, some verified their sources before publishing, a lot of them just run with what "sounds" better on the headline without much regard to the fallout.

The source isn't anonymous to GameBanshee. They just can't reveal his or her name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom