Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My first Doom map~

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
So, while I was focused on the code part for my ghost ship game, I decided to take a shot at Doom mapping to scratch that level design itch. Overall, it took me about 4 days spread over two weeks or so, but I'm happy with the end result, even if the map feels rough around the edges.

This map was designed primarily for Vanilla Doom and it's recommended to play it via Doom Retro source port for dat gritty original look.

Screenies:
0ow5TWL.png
sbtCxDe.png
aPJTemU.png
pnPVNYZ.png

Readme file:
===========================================================================
Advanced engine needed : -
Tested with : Doom Retro 2.2.2, GZDoom 1.9.1
Primary purpose : Single player
Title : Hund
Filename : hund.wad
Release date : 2016-06-29
Author : Surt R.
Email Address : surt.romanus@gmail.com
Misc. Author Info : I make music for video games (https://surt-r.bandcamp.com).
Description : You wake up in a small castle-like building only to end up hounded by the enemies. Can you get out of this joint, or the nightmare will never end?

This map was designed for Doom Retro 2.2.2/Vanilla Doom. Other ports aren't exactly recommended unless they use the same approach to lighting. If you want to play this wad via GZDoom or any other port, make sure to set the gamma to 0.75.

Keep in mind this is my first map, so criticism is welcome.

Additional Credits : Special thanks to skacky, sexbad and Ninjerk for testing and feedback.

* What is included *

New levels : 1
Sounds : No
Music : No
Graphics : No
Dehacked/BEX Patch : No
Demos : No
Other : No
Other files required : None

* Play Information *

Game : DOOM
Map # : E1M1
Single Player : Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player : Player starts only
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : No
Other game styles : No
Difficulty Settings : No
Play Notes : Designed for classic doom, mouselook and all that newfangled mumbo-jumbo is not required nor endorsed, since these features are pretty useless here.

* Construction *

Base : New from scratch
Build Time : ~4 days spread over 2 weeks
Editor(s) used : GZDoomBuilder 2.3
Known Bugs : None
May Not Run With : Should be compatible with all ports, I guess.
Tested With : Doom Retro 2.2.2, GZDoom 1.9.1

* Changes *

v1.01
-- added blue skull texture to the final door
-- added Ninjerk to the special thanks section, poor boy got raped too many times while playing this wad

* Copyright / Permissions *

Do whatever the fuck you want with this wad.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/54w8zy35hitty5i/hund_v101.zip

Special thanks to skacky, sexbad? and Ninjerk for testing the early version of this wad.

So, go on and lambast it, men. :smug:

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Bumping to post a short instruction on how to get the best Hund (tm) experience:

1. Get Doom Retro;
2. Put doom.wad and my wad in the doom retro folder;
3. Run doom retro, then exit immediately;
4. Go to C:\Users\%username%\DOOM Retro\ (don't remember the path for XP) and open doomretro.cfg;
5. Find "r_shakescreen" and set it to 0% to remove that retarded screen shaking effect;
6. Open Doom Retro and select hund.wad;
7. Enjoy.

Severian Silk

That has got to be the awfulest Doom map I have ever seen. 0/10 You are Crispy.

Last edited by a moderator:

dunno lah

Arcane
I found a possible bug in that Baron closet when I get to the balcony in the second room. When I rush inside there I just fall down and get stuck in a small space with walls sliding up and down. Even with idclip, I can't get back into the playable area.

I am using Crispy Doom, by the way.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I found a possible bug in that Baron closet when I get to the balcony in the second room. When I rush inside there I just fall down and get stuck in a small space with walls sliding up and down. Even with idclip, I can't get back into the playable area.

I am using Crispy Doom, by the way.
Noticed the same bug while testing the wad on Chocolate Doom today. You can idclip to another enemy locker from there, but some textures stop rendering altogether and you need to start a new game to play it again without additional bugs and shit.

Anyway, I fixed this motherfucker. Thank you for trying the map and reporting this bug, bruh.
Get the latest version here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yax68sbwn7ntly4/hund_v102.zip

Emmanuel2

Savant
It's great. Played in both Vanilla and Modded on Ultra-Violence.

Used Faspons for modded and Beautiful Doom for Vanilla gameplay, disabled auto-aim.

Edit: It's pretty hard with Faspons, otherwise can 100% enemies in vanilla pretty easily.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rkdcQWF.png

It's overkill for the first map but the plasma rifle and rocket launcher did the job. I can't find the switch to open the skull door near the exit of the level to have all the secrets unlocked. Other than that, cool map. I hope it's not the last one.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I can't find the switch to open the skull door near the exit of the level to have all the secrets unlocked. Other than that, cool map. I hope it's not the last one.
Get into the Baron locker. To open it, get to the balcony in the second room.
Also, your gamma settings are brighter than intended (unless you're wearing goggles).

UPD:
I hope it's not the last one.
I have another map in my head already (but small disconnected chunks so far). So far I can only say that I'd like to experiment with non-linear layout, traps and resource scavenging. :P

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
I played it few days ago, but I forgot to mention it. Cool little straightforward map, but I agree with Ninja Destroyer that cyber is a overkill for a map like this. I didn't even try to fight it.

BTW something odd I noticed
5SKwqjL.png

kerR2pU.png

This secret was a bit on the lazy side. It is accessible moment that sector with lost souls opens up, so it's p much impossible to miss despite the lighting. Least you could do is place a wall that needs activation either by using or shooting at it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Gotta agree that the secrets were either too obvious (this case) or too arbitrary (fake wall) with only one or two proper cases. Guess I have much to learn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom