Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind As Above So Below

Luzur

Good Sir
Sceptic said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Any ideas where I could find a .pdf of the Battlespire manual? Bethesda is teh fascist and demanded that replacementdocs take down all Bethesda manuals a few years back.
Does not exist as far as I know. Been looking for one for a couple of years now and never found it. I don't think Replacementdocs had it even back then, the only Bethesda manuals they had were Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard and Morrowind.

ya know, if you are really lucky, i could have downloaded all TES manuals from replacementdocs long before this takedown, just need to find the CD there on.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If you happen to have the Battlespire manual then I'll auto-promote you to Andyman levels of godhood. Not a single fucker who scanned/downloaded it ever posted it anywhere that I know of.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Sceptic said:
If you happen to have the Battlespire manual then I'll auto-promote you to Andyman levels of godhood. Not a single fucker who scanned/downloaded it ever posted it anywhere that I know of.

Likewise. I'm NOT paying $50+ for a used copy just to get a hold of the manual.

DraQ

Arcane
Although living in the land of Poland where sailing seven seas has always been popular and the resulting lack of manuals for even the most elaborate games a common nuisance has hardened me beyond the capacity of a mere mortal, I would nevertheless appreciate it as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Likewise. I'm NOT paying $50+ for a used copy just to get a hold of the manual.
Hah, I wish. Most of the ebay copies that go for $50 are WITHOUT manual or box. Fucking waste of time.

DraQ said:
On the other hand there are some glimmers of hope as well. Like this self-proclaimed Oblivious fan who started bitching about Beth dropping all the cool stuff from Daggerfall in later games after he played it.

If Bethesda realizes that letting fans play previous iterations for free leads to them discovering how much has actually been ripped out, and brings new calls for a development strategy based on something other than 'what sounded cool at the time', I wonder what would happen?

DraQ

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
DraQ said:
On the other hand there are some glimmers of hope as well. Like this self-proclaimed Oblivious fan who started bitching about Beth dropping all the cool stuff from Daggerfall in later games after he played it.

If Bethesda realizes that letting fans play previous iterations for free leads to them discovering how much has actually been ripped out, and brings new calls for a development strategy based on something other than 'what sounded cool at the time', I wonder what would happen?
Heavan? They would have to hire some proper coders and writers though. Some testers too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HEAVAN would be the Morrowind developers meeting with the Daggerfall creators (most of them left before MW) and with the Gothic guys, then making the ultimate sandbox exploration RPG together.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Heavan? They would have to hire some proper coders and writers though. Some testers too.
Gamebryo's horrible coding and Oblivion and FO3's terribad writing... yeah they certainly need to rehire coders and writers. But Bethesda never hired any testers in the first place :smug:

JarlFrank said:
Just checked my Battlespire version downloaded from underground gamer... no manual.
I did say it doesn't exist on the Internets. If it was as simple as getting it off a private tracker for old games I would've had it long ago. ;)

JarlFrank said:
HEAVAN would be the Morrowind developers meeting with the Daggerfall creators (most of them left before MW) and with the Gothic guys, then making the ultimate sandbox exploration RPG together.
I've always thought that the best of Daggerfall (skill system + MQ + reputation system) and the best of Morrowind (lore + atmosphere + art style) would be Heavan, but adding in Gothic's world and encounter design... *fapfapfapfapfap*

Luzur

Good Sir
i am forced admit defeat, the CD-rom marked "RPG manuals" is defect and wont read anymore, how much i try to load it.

it had ALOT of downloaded and zipped manuals, including Arena, Daggerfall and Battlespire.

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

and now some good news, if you can wait a little longer, i just bought this.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
i am forced admit defeat, the CD-rom marked "RPG manuals" is defect and wont read anymore, how much i try to load it.

it had ALOT of downloaded and zipped manuals, including Arena, Daggerfall and Battlespire.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

and now some good news, if you can wait a little longer, i just bought this.
You, sir, are a true patriot. I've waited a couple of years, I'm sure I can wait a few weeks.

Luzur

Good Sir
well a CIB copy was long over due for incorporation into the collection, since i sold the Battlespire CD with jewelcase i had before some year ago.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Ch1ef said:
Helton said:
A common theme in Elder Scrolls lore is that the universe acts in someway as an echo chamber. The White Gold Tower in Oblivion resembles the Towers which hold together the Mundus who then resemble the Aurbis, the universe itself. Much of what your characters and those around her do is something a play re-enacting some great past event.

This is even how one attains godhood in the ES lore. You "walk like them", those who came before. You emulate the gods to become a god, play out the happenings of their lives. This is why Tiber Septim removed Arctus' heart (or something to that effect, time got all screwy and just who's heart it was is not entirely clear). He did it because Akatosh removed Lorkhan's Heart. This is all over the place in the lore.

To become the Nerevarine you must become the Hortator of 3 houses and the Nerevarine of 4 tribes. On this playthrough I notice that this mirrors the Dunmer relationship with the Daedra. There are 3 "Anticipations" (replaced by the Tribunal) and 4 Corners of the House of Troubles. The 4 Trouble Daedra are still respected and you are sent to visit them in a pilgrimage for the Temple. Is this an intentional mirroring or just that these are low numbers and odds are high they would be used? If the former what is the significance? What does this say about the Nerevarine's quest, how might it parrellel past events?
e26e302128464a348300020213da.png

Fuck. This was the most reasonable post in this shitty thread, not that I read it mind you, but I freely make this assumption and I presume most generously that I am right.

Luzur

Good Sir
If you were to scan that manual and upload it someplace, you would truly be a god among men. All hail Lord Luzur!

that was my plan, since i seem to be the only one willing to do it on the whole internets.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Still no Battlespire Manual but the Arena Manual and Reference Card are available here. Likewise the Daggerfall Manual can be downloaded here. I also found a torrent of game manuals that includes both games, but I forget the 'Dex's policy on posting torrents of copywrited material.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Clockwork Knight said:
How hard it is for people to hang onto their manuals? I still have all my old ones. Some are falling apart, but they are still there.

Of games I bought when they were new? Not hard at all. The first Elder Scrolls game I bought was Morrowind though, by which point the previous games had gone out of print. I found a copy of Daggerfall, just the disc and jewel case, at an Electronic's Boutique back when they still sold used PC games. Other than that I'm dependent upon the internets to play the old games, which frequently means venturing forth without the aid of a manual.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Luzur said:
but I forget the 'Dex's policy on posting torrents of copywrited material.

we have a policy for that? THE CODEX?

Yes we do. Cause it's illegal. Illegal links on the Codex should be avoided.

I don't know how the admins see it, but links to abandonware and manuals are okay in my book. As long as the abandonware is really abandonware and hasn't been picked up by GoG already.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
but I forget the 'Dex's policy on posting torrents of copywrited material.

we have a policy for that? THE CODEX?
I think the unofficial policy is "discuss it as much as you want but don't post links". I could be wrong though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom