Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mordheim - turn-based tactics in the Warhammer universe

oscar

Arcane
Human mercs? I'm also guessing the bow vs gun question is along the lines of weaker bur more mobile firepower to stronger but more stationary due to the reload cost.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't help you there.. Didn't play with them tbh. They so seem to be the most "balanced" with possibly the most annoying leaders :p

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I find the combat system very good, and I like the progression and wound rules.
I hate the UI, though.
I had a blast with the game, but I miss some kind of goal (getting the warband to max level only incentivizes you to avoid hard fights).
It feels a bit artificial not having time to loot opponents or wyrdstones after you win, but I can live with that.
I think it is the only thing missing : some goal both on the strategic scale, and on the tactical one (the missions lack variety, and you have strong incentives not to complete the secondary objectives, due to training cost, and them providing only XP, and no gold/wyrdstone).
Multiplayer seems weird : compared to Blood Bowl, you lack the league ranking aspect (there are some leagues, but it is not the same), and you have a much higher casualty rate (given that getting people out is the main way to win), so it feels like you need to grind in SP to get in shape for MP or something like that.
I wish you were proposed a choice of mutations for chaos. Having to fire the archer hero because he got his arm replaced by a sword is painful.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Ah found the customisation button, was much better than having my crew of mohawked mercenaries. Damn that sewer explosion mission was a pain, hope the other story missions are less of a hassle.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but apart from that, (judging by the 3 or so missions i've played, lololo) it seems legit cool so far

fastjack

Augur
Honestly, despite enjoying the game a lot I got a little burnt out and I've put it down until one of the two things ColCol mentioned are added. As soon they add a new warband or especially a multiplayer campaign I'm jumping right back into it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, 4 out of 5 give guys in my warband are out of commission for about five days, does that mean I can do diddly squat with them till they recover?

fastjack

Augur
You can fail some deliveries and still succeed I missed at least the first and I think the first 2 warp stone deliveries in my first game as mercenaries and still pulled through to beat the campaign (started in beta though, so ymmv).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
you do have reserves, right?
This was my third mission, hadn't acquired reserves. :negative:
In order to avoid this, I always make sure that my henchmen are the first to enter the fray, and I fire them at level 2. I wish we could refuse skill ups, and not just leveling (because you cannot refuse the extra offense and strategic points, can you?). I also never spend resources to heal them, unless I really need to recover their slot.
I haven't got a hero + injured in age this way.
The problem I think is that after 2 (or maybe 4) failed deliveries, you cannot play skirmish vs AI anymore. Your warband can only partake in multiplayer (good luck if you cannot recover with easy AI fights), and maybe storyline missions.
Actually, there is a MP endless mode (I mean, you can bring your warband to MP), that integrates seamlessly with the campaign, so I think it more or less works. It is weird to use the same team for both, though, and I prefer the way it works in BB.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Okay, 4 out of 5 give guys in my warband are out of commission for about five days, does that mean I can do diddly squat with them till they recover?

yeah. hire new ones or wait it out.

or use yer reserves. you do have reserves, right?
this game's warband dynamic is kinda like bloodbowl in that sense

Or like Shadow of the Horned Rat. Your guys took some time to recover, but you had to fight a battle without them and it was a pain.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
damn this fucking game is much-much addictive as shit

i'm considering writing a review-advert

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The movement and camera angle are kinda similar but in general nothing else.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fylch Sharptail is down to 45 hp. I figure I should probably stow him away in some safe secluded place when an angry nun ends turn a bit in front of him on ambush. He turns around and does a 90% leap over a ledge

of course it fails

he falls down taking 15 damage

No matter, let's keep going.

Turns out the "secluded corner" was actually the spawn point for reinforcements.

Fylch goes around the bend and eats an ambush charge to the face for 29 damage

he's left with 1 hp

i spent all his strategy points and cant move

his offence is still 100% tho, better not fuck it up fylch

okay he kills the cannon fodder nun, ends turn

ANOTHER ONE SPAWNS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM

but for some bizarre reason doesn't attack him, instead she stands right next to him and toggles ambush

next turn

for some reason Fylch starts in melee with the nun

kills her too

I retreat him to an ACTUAL safe secluded corner where he stays till the end of the mission

:shredder: :shredder: :shredder:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
go find-kill magus in library he said

it will be clever-foolproof he said

and then godfrey ho the night runner gets yoinked away by a surprise teleport and lands right in front of an angry daemonette

borealesad.jpg

k0syak

Cipher
The first teleporter on your right leads straight to the Magus IIRCE :)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Roxor it's around now that you'll start getting tired of the game in my experience. I'll be gladly proven wrong though, it's a good game generally. Just tedious after some time.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It was 2-3 missions later I burned out on my skaven playthrough. It's a good game, but it got real repetitive eventually. Multiplayer didn't work for me for some reason. Not sure if it would've salvaged it or if it would've been a cheese/disconnect hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom