Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moo3 - worth anything?

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Wandering through a mall on the weekend and noticed EB had MOO 3 for $20. That got me thinking a bit: I know it's supposed to have near vertical learning curve, and an interface only a mother could love, and a manual that's rumored to little more that press clippings for all its usefullness, but still.....only $20...

<Inner Demon>Buy it. You'll enjoy it. Everyone else is more stupider[sic] than you, so they give up quickly, but you'll find the precious, yes you will </ID>(actually, this is a truncated version: inner demon hissings have been known to go on for hours, if not days)

<Voice of Reason>No one liked the game. Even those that thought it was ok all insisted that the guidebook was not an optional buy. You are not smarter than everyone else. And certainly you are not smarter than your wife, so get your damn eyes off the jailbait's cleavage, and get your mind off Moo3</VoR>

So, as you can see, I was torn....

Then I went to Fry's and saw it for $15...ok, seriously, WTF.

Anyone, is the game worth $15?

Astromarine

Erudite
No. MOST DEFINETELY no. Investigate Galactic Civilizations, pick up MOO2 on Ebay, do ANYTHING ELSE.

The game is not just hard. It is, to put it simply, unfun. Fighting a steep learning curve can be incredibly entertaining and rewarding. This isn't. It's not that you're incapable of getting to the game underneath the interface. It's there, and findable. It's just that, once you get there, you think "is that it? where's the payoff?"

Deathy

Liturgist
If you haven't already, try Space Empires IV: http://www.malfador.com/se4.html
I haven't tried MOO3, but SE4 is a damn sight better than MOO2, so it seems fairly logical (given what people say about MOO3 in comparison to MOO2), that it'd be better than MOO3.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
No it sucks . Even for free.
As Astromarine suggests Gal Civ could be the game you that you really want to play if you like the genre but i do not know about Gal Civ price,

MOO 3 is like excel in space.

Psilon

Erudite
GalCiv's only $30 or so, and is far superior. MOO3 will last you about two weeks of occasional play before you completely give up.

wizard

Liturgist
personally, I enjoy playing Moo3 very much and I hate GalCiv! but no-one can say will you or will you not like Moo3; just try it and if you dont like it return it

Voss

Erudite
Moo3 is simply lacking something. (possibly user input... the constant battle against the AI to get it to do what you want gets old.) There isn't any flair to the game.

The space combat is...eh. Partly because its real time- you either start a battle far from your opponent and it takes ages to close (if you don't wipe them out with auto-launched fighters and missiles before you get to beam range). Or you start really damn close, and the battles over before you have time to sort out your fleet.

As for GalCiv... Ick. I mucked about with the demo and found it quite horrible and dull.
And companies that get people to pay *them* to beta-test their games should be dragged out and shot on general principles. Even if it was voluntary.

Psilon

Erudite
Personally, I don't mind their approach. The game's pretty well polished, and it's not like the beta testers had to pay even more money for the final product.

As a pre-order bonus, I'd rather have a beta copy--and the ability to get my feedback heard--than something like the NWN modules. I don't think even our resident NWN fans could find something nice to say about The Dark Ranger's Treasure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom