Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monty Markland Kickstarting an Apocalypse Now RPG(!), Josh Sawyer onboard

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Combat draws from survival horror to emphasize combat avoidance and stealth.

You know what this thread is missing? 1eyedking and cherry blossom yelling at Monty over his idea of "stealth."

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What does Sawyer a vegan SJW fag know about Viet Fucking Nam?
14228.jpg

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
JS was not the face of PEO during the crowd funding. That's why it got funded. He was one of the faces.
Still, he became the face of PoE in time, since he was the lead and is the dev that interacts with fans the most. He's the Obsidian dev that's most widely known outside these places. A casual or new cRPG player might have heard of him and played PoE, but most have not heard of Tim Cain and have no clue he was instrumental in designing the original Fallout. Same for the others devs.

Just in a same way that Hepler/Pete/Tod/Gaider became faces of decline. He is not a Brand. That's what I am saying. A casual plays Oblivion and likes it very much, I am not even sure they have heard of Obsidian entertainment.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
My OBJECTION is listed as follows:

1. No female player character yet. I want some nekkid feminine figure on screen goddamnit. Preferably a white butt, but yellow is fine (race traitor that I am).

2. There's way to do horror in forest setting but my feeling is that current gaming setting doesnt trend "realistic" theme any time soon. Resident Evil is set to end SOONISH, not now. You might do "uncomprehensible evil in forest" thing but eh~

3. No clear visual of gameplay yet? Will it be 1st person view? 3rd person over the shoulder? The FNV reference make me hopeful but the Rambo thing make me leery.

Xzar

Augur
Settings like this can suffer from overt seriousness in RPG. It needs "places of relaxation" badly, where you can sort out your loot and enjoy something non-threatening. Its harder to go on just to survive in RPGs than in simple survival horrors or FPSes, because not only setting presses you, but its lore too.
Also, dear dev, whether this fails or succeeds - please consider Waterworld RPG next. That is my childhood wet dream)

Diggfinger

Arcane
So its some kind of a FPS horror game with RPG elements?

Kickstarter video looks weird as hell, they should have introduced the people better

Cool name

Arcane
It needs "places of relaxation" badly, where you can sort out your loot and enjoy something non-threatening.
well he did say there'd be the French Plantation

as far as I'm concerned there aren't enough games featuring blonde, colonialist, possibly slave-owning waifus

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This is the most absurd Kickstarter I've ever seen. Wha t the fuck are they thinking, 900k goal???

Zed, you don’t understand how these things work. 900k can barely pay basic expenses. It’s a process. Let me explain to you step by step.

Step 1

First, you fool people on kickstarter and promise a bunch of things that you can’t deliver. Kickstarter funding is just the price of admission to use that powerful hype machine called “game journalists community”, which take us to the next step.

shaking_figure_for_money_md_wm.jpg

Step 2

Now you have the machine at your disposal. You will receive a bunch of free press and free marketing from starving game journos and dudes like Infinitron. What is this sound? Can you hear it? It is the cash register sound! Ka-ching! *Cash register opens*

636d1efd73b0825db576f4c92de1bef1.jpg

Step 3

Finally you release that massive dung on steam to make a fortune and lower the standards of game design forever. Players can abandon the game after two hours enjoy their games and developers can travel to Hawaii remain in business! Everyone only developers are is happy!!!

stick_figure_crank_money_ca_md_wm.jpg

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Settings like this can suffer from overt seriousness in RPG. It needs "places of relaxation" badly, where you can sort out your loot and enjoy something non-threatening.
I honestly hope for a pandering USO sequence mid-game to relax the tension for a few minutes. Then for even that scene to get weird and stressful.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Well, this is something else. I pledged generously because this is exactly the kind of off-kilter project I feel crowd funding is for. And hey, it's Apocalypse Now man.

Thank you.

Settings like this can suffer from overt seriousness in RPG. It needs "places of relaxation" badly, where you can sort out your loot and enjoy something non-threatening.
I honestly hope for a pandering USO sequence mid-game to relax the tension for a few minutes. Then for even that scene to get weird and stressful.

There will definitely be a USO sequence in the game. I think it will be more wild and weird than in the movie in first person.

Settings like this can suffer from overt seriousness in RPG. It needs "places of relaxation" badly, where you can sort out your loot and enjoy something non-threatening. Its harder to go on just to survive in RPGs than in simple survival horrors or FPSes, because not only setting presses you, but its lore too.
Also, dear dev, whether this fails or succeeds - please consider Waterworld RPG next. That is my childhood wet dream)

"Never get off the boat"

The boat is a relatively non-violent place to hang out most of the time.

Five point nine million is the initial total goal across both sites:

https://apocalypsenow.com/pledge

KS is just a small part of what's necessary for the game. The game devs on this team know exactly what is necessary to do what we intend -- that part shouldn't be in question with this group of people. Larry EP'd F:NV for around $9 mil give or take (and Gamebryo is a terrible engine).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom