Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter 4U - Game is out NOW

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm going to pick mine up soon, I'll be up for multiplayer in about 3 hours if anyone's game

Avellion

Erudite
I have the game too. Havent gotten very far yet though.

Still busy trying out all the weapons. Hunting Horn is fun when you manage to stunlock everything to death all while trying to maintain the (good) buffs on yourself, but damn the durability on the damn thing. Not very good for soloing either.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been playing the demo for the past couple of days and holy hell have so many things improved.

I couldn't get into Monster Hunter before, but I'm definitely buying this when I scrape up the cash.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
rigCjWC.jpg

Postan guild cards.

I have the game too. Havent gotten very far yet though.

Still busy trying out all the weapons. Hunting Horn is fun when you manage to stunlock everything to death all while trying to maintain the (good) buffs on yourself, but damn the durability on the damn thing. Not very good for soloing either.

Why not just use the Hammer when you solo and use the Hunting Horn when you play online? You'll be stunning shit easier with the Hammer, not to mention killing monsters much faster as well. The buffs are really good on the HH, but it shines in online play.

Martius

Liturgist
How it compares to 3U? I wonder if its worth picking up if I have already previous game on Wii U.

Avellion

Erudite
Why not just use the Hammer when you solo and use the Hunting Horn when you play online? You'll be stunning shit easier with the Hammer, not to mention killing monsters much faster as well. The buffs are really good on the HH, but it shines in online play.

1. The hammer is my main candidate for soloing right now ;)
  2. I still want to try out other weapons
  3. I used the Hunting Horn solo for practice.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

1. The hammer is my main candidate for soloing right now ;)
  2. I still want to try out other weapons
  3. I used the Hunting Horn solo for practice.

Roger that. Keep on hammering, bro.

How it compares to 3U? I wonder if its worth picking up if I have already previous game on Wii U.

Disregarding that MH4U is apparently the current title holder for most monsters as of now, it vastly improves gameplay in many ways.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

It have:

- New monsters
- New hunting zones
- New quests
- New features of gameplay
- Climbing (In change of swimming)
- First MH portable game with complete independent online multiplayer

If you liked Ultimate 3 and you are hungry of more MH, its a very worth buy.

roll-a-die

Magister
It's better. Few niggling issues for me though.

Monsters seem to have less health over all, whereas breakpoints seem to have more HP overall, this is just from observation though. Normally with an Iron Grace it took me about 4-6 minutes of fighting to beat it in 3u and I could break the frill consistently within about 2. Now the frill either breaks right before I kill it, or doesn't. And the kill takes 3-5 minutes in general. I decided to time myself while trying to get a kings frill for the Jaggi set waist.

Beyond that, you are more mobile, which means there's more ways to avoid the enemy, which on one hand, adds depth to the combat, on the otherhand, I see no reason to use block weapons anymore. Because, I am normally mobile enough to avoid most attacks from the enemy.

Combat with some monsters, like the flying monkey anteater lemur, have easy cheesy solutions. Namely exploiting the jumping system, and knocking it down repeatedly. I defeated it purely using jump attacks at one point. Just by running and jumping off the nests at it.

Some of the monster's element types don't make any sense. Why is the flying monkey anteater lemur, a water attack using creature? That's like saying a Llama is a water based animal because it spits. In MH3U most of this stuff made sense. The monsters also looked the part. I was expecting the Kecha to click it's ears and spit fire the entire time when I first spotted it. Or be poisonous. Or to throw dirt at me, it wasn't until the second time, when I got hit by the spit that I realized that it had water based attacks.

But the pro's definitely outweigh the cons.

The mobility you have, makes the game FEEL better to play. You're reactions are just sluggish enough to be realistic, without being quick enough to make you think you're a Souls protagonist.

The monster's have a better variety, so some illogical ones are to be expected.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Monsters seem to have less health over all, whereas breakpoints seem to have more HP overall, this is just from observation though. Normally with an Iron Grace it took me about 4-6 minutes of fighting to beat it in 3u and I could break the frill consistently within about 2. Now the frill either breaks right before I kill it, or doesn't. And the kill takes 3-5 minutes in general. I decided to time myself while trying to get a kings frill for the Jaggi set waist.

Monsters are considerably weaker now in the "story" quests. I was a bit surprised at how fast they were dropping. If you however go do the guild quests rather than the caravan ones then they will have about 2x-3x more health. Also, got my Gore Magala Lance this morning. It's a beast!

Edit: I just beat Shagaru Magala and unlocked High Rank caravan quests. Feels good. The Low Rank caravan quests were way too easy. Managed to get enough mats from Shagaru Magala to upgrade my Magala Lance as well.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have no idea how to use the Insect Glaive but they both look really, really cool.

Avellion

Erudite
What are peoples thoughts on the Insect Glaive and Charge Blade?
Charge Blade: Didn't try it.
Insect Glaive: Good beginner weapon, but I felt like the weapon was too much of an ez-mode weapon. Shame, because I love quarterstaves or anything that resembles them in games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Without having tried either CB or IG, but from what I've observed online:

CB is good but has a high skill ceiling. Getting a good rotation going that syncs with the monsters' openings isn't an easy thing to do. Lots of people online going full HnS with it and tripping other team members, but that's to be expected from a new weapon.

IG can do everything and has less of a skill ceiling. High damage, high mobility, a super useful vault, buffs, able to mount monsters like nobody's business and you have a cool as fuck insect pet who can grow and evolve a la PSO MAG's. Again, suffers from the same problem of being new so there are lots of people going crazy with it and whacking around without a thought or care, but as long as people are able to mount a monster on occasion I'm not complaining.

CB is probably gonna be better, but if I'd pick one to try I'd go for the IG if only for the insect pet.
But I ain't gonna because Lance 4 Life.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Is it worth it to buy a 3DS just to play this?

<- veteran hunter from 2G and 3

Avellion

Erudite
Is it worth it to buy a 3DS just to play this?

<- veteran hunter from 2G and 3
For this game alone?

Doubt it unless, you are a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of the series or if you find a 3DS for cheap (like how I found 50 dollar PlayStation Vitas). I know a friend of mine who says it is easily the best entry, but I am a bit sceptical of that. Great game though.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3DS is a good handheld overall, so unless you hate JRPGs or dungeon crawlers, it is worth buying. I bought the US 3DS a couple of years ago, but now I wish I'd waited for the newer version.

I wouldn't say any console is worth buying for one single game alone, but this is coming from someone who's very likely to buy a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, so yeah.

Heresiarch

Prophet
MHP2 + MHP2G + MHP3 combined together has taken me like, 1500+ hours?

A quick search also shows that the DS version of Chrono Trigger is awesome and I have never ever played more than 5% of it, both SNES and PS version.

Seems like 3DS is worth it...especially since I have a lot of spare money left around.

Avellion

Erudite
MHP2 + MHP2G + MHP3 combined together has taken me like, 1500+ hours?

A quick search also shows that the DS version of Chrono Trigger is awesome and I have never ever played more than 5% of it, both SNES and PS version.

Seems like 3DS is worth it...especially since I have a lot of spare money left around.

In that case, might as well go for one. Especially if you are going to play DS games on it as well.

I recommend you get the 3DS XL or New 3DS (non-XL). But beware that the New 3DS does not come with a charger and are sold seperately. These chargers are dirt cheap however.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Holy what. I can slap the shit out of a fast and agile monster like Zinogre or Tigrex no probalo, but against a slow piece of crap like Red Khezu I end up wasting 15~ mega potions. Khezu and all its sub-species are my anti it seems.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's the usual deal with weapons in monster hunter titles?

Do you just stick with one weapon type and boost it as much as you can?
Or do you switch between a few based on what your enemies do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom