Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
In fact, funny thing, I was telling a bro about mmx and his reply was precisely "uhm, this sounds like a jRPG" :troll:

So when is this gonna be moved to the proper subforum? Jaesun plz :troll:
JRPGs are basically Wizardry with anime so no surprise, since it's already been said a dozen times this game resembles Wizardry

sser

Arcane
Developer
Maybe it was just me, but I didn't even have a taunt skill in my first party until toward the end of the game and I almost never used it... There's a lot of things to criticize the game for, but calling it mechanically broken is a huuuuge stretch. If anything the gameplay is superb otherwise people wouldn't put up with the awful optimization, reused assets, and poor graphics. I feel like a number of these posts are "I suck at this game" posts masquerading as genuine gameplay talk. Seriously, you need certain party members? You can only do things one way? Get outta here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey, dude, I have no isseus with any of that cosmetic shit. My issue is because decorative doors make me fiddle around with shit to figure out whether it is a real door or Graphics Asset B. The trouble is further augmented by some doors looking like decorative doors but then being important.

All real doors show up on a minimap as a house, a shop etc.

Is this also true in dungeons? If so, I'm a retard. So far, it seems like all doors, even decorative ones, show up with small white lines on the minimap.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't even have a taunt skill in my first party until toward the end of the game and I almost never used it... There's a lot of things to criticize the game for, but calling it mechanically broken is a huuuuge stretch. If anything the gameplay is superb otherwise people wouldn't put up with the awful optimization, reused assets, and poor graphics. I feel like a number of these posts are "I suck at this game" posts masquerading as genuine gameplay talk. Seriously, you need certain party members? You can only do things one way? Get outta here.

Agreed. My party had to leave the lighthouse and do another quest and then I came back and raped the whole place. My party is far from optimized, and I'm doing quite alright.

I haven't even bought a single potion from a shop, and I only made 2 trips back to town total before finishing Lighthouse, Den of Thieves and the Castle.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hey, dude, I have no isseus with any of that cosmetic shit. My issue is because decorative doors make me fiddle around with shit to figure out whether it is a real door or Graphics Asset B. The trouble is further augmented by some doors looking like decorative doors but then being important.

Is this also true in dungeons? If so, I'm a retard. So far, it seems like all doors, even decorative ones, show up with small white lines on the minimap.
No that's right, even decorative doors show just like regular doors inside dungeons. The "doors" on cities aren't really doors but interactive spots so there's no way to get confused since only those doors marked on the map

Zeriel

Arcane
Balance considerations aside, Warfare was a brilliant addition to M&M, and I hope it stays even if they go back to some real time travesty for future games. Giving melee something to do other than hit "attack!" every turn/second did a lot to make non-casters feel viable and interesting.

Mortmal

Arcane
They do that all the time, and if you dont have the regneration spell on its gameover. Thats basically the only trick to know to defeat any boss so far , regen on, the druid get one shot, next round regeneration make her go up,place a few attacks taunt or not doesnt matters, an AOE attack will likely take down your squishy characters, refresh the regen or again its game over. Rince and reapeat until the bloated hp boss dies or you run out of potions .If you are unlucky and healer is paralyzed , reload. The word tacticool is indeed fitting.

As for the ambushes , dragon age 2 enemies falling from the sky , ambushing you was an horror , but here its completely accepatable as its a turn based blobber...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No that's right, even decorative doors show just like regular doors inside dungeons.

Yeah, I thought so. That really fucking sucks.

Zeriel

Arcane
They do that all the time, and if you dont have the regneration spell on its gameover. Thats basically the only trick to know to defeat any boss so far , regen on, the druid get one shot, next round regeneration make her go up,place a few attacks taunt or not doesnt matters, an AOE attack will likely take down your squishy characters, refresh the regen or again its game over. Rince and reapeat until the bloated hp boss dies or you run out of potions .If you are unlocky and healer is paralyzed , reload. The word tacticool is indeed fitting.

As for the ambushes , dragon age 2 enemies falling from the sky , ambushing you was an horror , but here its completely accepatable as its a turn based blobber...

"This is how the game went for me" is not analogous to "This is the way the game went for everyone". I played plenty of boss battles without using regen. It's not necessary.

Here's another crazy thought: my melee bruisers and my "squishy" spellcasters had the same number of HP.

People should start analyzing their own choices just a little bit earlier than they claim a game is utterly broken.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah, I think so, although as I pointed out before, the minimap has some serious flaws, one of them being the doors are a white line all right but there are also just "decorative" white lines too, so...yeah.

The minimap can be confusing that way, that's why I always made my own note by a door I couldn't open yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Worst thing about the map is not being able to scroll around or zoom. Makes the notes really fucking useless.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What, I'm not right? You complain about spamming the same attacks, combat not being ultradeep at early levels. That's every Might & Magic game I've ever played. This game offers me a lot more choices on early levels than I used to have. I can't complain. If you do, my verdict is that you seem to be looking for a different game.

Have you even been reading my goddamned posts? Jesus Christ, Grunkers really gonna grunk.

The M&M series has always had a fuckton of other superb qualities outside combat. This one doesn't, and the combat is not any better than that found in 3-8. Where 3-8 at least had a whole bunch of things that could let you either ignore combat altogether (flee, teleport, levitate, running through, WHATEVER) or resolve it superfast (blasters, meteor shower cheese, hundreds of different kinds of cheese, hold attack button for 5 seconds to move on), this one tries very desperately to be tacticool and FAILS. Its combat is ultimately boring, unsatisfying and routine. I'll take shit combat that's over in 5 seconds any time over shit combat that takes 5 minutes, thanks.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I only started to use challenge near end of act 2 just to get benefits of my defenders retalation strikes. It is not really need even at begining.
Skullcracking and armor sundering is another story, they are life savers against right enemies.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Balance considerations aside, Warfare was a brilliant addition to M&M, and I hope it stays even if they go back to some real time travesty for future games. Giving melee something to do other than hit "attack!" every turn/second did a lot to make non-casters feel viable and interesting.
I'd prefer if weapon skills got their own abilities.

The M&M series has always had a fuckton of other superb qualities outside combat. This one doesn't, and the combat is not any better than that found in 3-8. Where 3-8 at least had a whole bunch of things that could let you either ignore combat altogether (flee, teleport, levitate, running through, WHATEVER) or resolve it superfast (blasters, meteor shower cheese, hundreds of different kinds of cheese, hold attack button for 5 seconds to move on), this one tries very desperately to be tacticool and FAILS. Its combat is ultimately boring, unsatisfying and routine. I'll take shit combat that's over in 5 seconds any time over shit combat that takes 5 minutes, thanks.
This is true.

Mortmal

Arcane
They do that all the time, and if you dont have the regneration spell on its gameover. Thats basically the only trick to know to defeat any boss so far , regen on, the druid get one shot, next round regeneration make her go up,place a few attacks taunt or not doesnt matters, an AOE attack will likely take down your squishy characters, refresh the regen or again its game over. Rince and reapeat until the bloated hp boss dies or you run out of potions .If you are unlocky and healer is paralyzed , reload. The word tacticool is indeed fitting.

"This is how the game went for me" is not analogous to "This is the way the game went for everyone". I played plenty of boss battles without using regen. It's not necessary.

Here's another crazy thought: my melee bruisers and my "squishy" spellcasters had the same number of HP.

People should start analyzing their own choices just a little bit earlier than they claim a game is utterly broken.

I'd rather see fighters taunting , blocking , protecting the frail butterflies casters are . Now if you spec your spellcaster to have lot of vitality , you must have a lot of patience with fights taking ages slowly grinding each encountesr . Oldschool new rules i guess , spec your mages to tanky as theres no battle row and no efficient protect mechanisms.

Zeriel

Arcane

I'd rather see fighters taunting , blocking , protecting the frail butterflies casters are . Now if you spec your spellcaster to have lot of vitality , you must have a lot of patience with fights taking ages slowly grinding each encountesr . Oldschool new rules i guess , spec your mages to tanky as theres no battle row and no efficient protect mechanisms.

If by "ages" you mean "3-4 turns" then yeah, boss battles took forever.

For what it's worth M&M always encouraged either making your casters not squishy (shared health link or whatever it was called in 6, as Pope Amole mentioned in the might & magic thread for cheesing Mandate of Heaven) or having to revive them constantly. Side effect of no rows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What Roxor is saying reminds me a lot of the way people reacted to the combat in Age of Decadence. They liked the single-character turn-based combat in Fallout because there wasn't much to it and it was silly fun, but AoD took that formula and tried to make it, well, "tacticool", and then suddenly a bunch of people were like "Ugh, what is this? Not fun!"

It's kind of sad when you try to improve on a beloved formula and discover that many people never really loved the formula to begin with. :M

Mortmal

Arcane

If by "a lot of turns" you mean "2" then yeah, boss battles took forever.

2 turns ? whos trolling now ? We do not get the same version of the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
What Roxor is saying reminds me a lot of the way people reacted to the combat in Age of Decadence. They liked the single-character turn-based combat in Fallout because there wasn't much to it and it was silly fun, but AoD took that formula and tried to make it, well, "tacticool", and then suddenly a bunch of people were like "Ugh, what is this? Not fun!"

It's kind of sad when you try to improve on a beloved formula and discover that many people never really loved the formula to begin with. :M

I keep feeling like this when reading criticism on the Codex. Like, I agree with a lot of it intellectually, but then the places people take it when you respond to the criticism with well-thought-out systems that are supposed to address the problems the criticism brought up just leave me flabbergasted. It makes me never want to ever be a game designer, or even mod.

"Oh, you hate easy combat? Here, have something with some challenge! It's not perfect but--"

"What is this garbage? I didn't want to actually have to engage in combat, I just wanted to skip it."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunkers really gonna grunk.

You know, spamming this in every reply to me isn't really the way to make me start reading your posts in a serious manner. You're welcome to continue, just don't expect me to extend you any kind of fucking courtesy.

The M&M series has always had a fuckton of other superb qualities outside combat.

:hmmm:

I just finished replaying VII. I'd wager I spent about 2/3 of the game in combat much more spammy and samish than this one.

Its combat is ultimately boring, unsatisfying and routine.

That's a lot of adjectives. Got any arguments? Otherwise let me retort by saying: combat is pretty fun, varied and presents you with many different challenges.

For my playthrough, so far, I haven't spammed the same tactic. I have relied on different spells in each type of encounter, Regeneration being the only staple, and so far I don't have the resources to just spam it (or any other spell for that matter). And I even have two characters with access to it.

Zeriel

Arcane
You hurt his feelings, so he took his toys and went home. Actions have consequences, Grunker.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Reading this thread makes me so conflicted about whether or not I should actually play this game any more in the hope that it will get better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom