Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

I'm having difficulty about thinking of pest extermination being done well, though. At least a fedex quest allows you to see new places. :M

Eyeball

Arcane
Prefer extermination quests when they're somehow surprising or sinister. I liked the "clear ghosts from tomb" quest in Skyrim that was really just a shady researcher wanting to keep other graverobbers out, making him put in a lot of traps and ghostly shenanigans. The wanamingo quest of FO2 was also good, mainly because of how bizarre it was to find Ripley-like aliens in a FO2 setting.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think defending governor's castle from brigands would be a good starting quest, while spiders in a well could be a side quest after. Would show em noobs with 3 or 4 levels of ambushing brigands with poison arrows and fireslinging mages feebleminding your casters, help to establish that narrative is *sorta* about politics, and give some Harmondale nostalgia.
But eh, game is out, no point to argue about that now, we had our word during development.

Angthoron

Arcane
I think defending governor's castle from brigands would be a good starting quest, while spiders in a well could be a side quest after. Would show em noobs with 3 or 4 levels of ambushing brigands with poison arrows and fireslinging mages feebleminding your casters, help to establish that narrative is *sorta* about politics, and give some Harmondale nostalgia.
But eh, game is out, no point to argue about that now, we had our word during development.
Yeah, that'd be a bit better. Or some cult. I like clearing out cults in M&M games. I guess they don't fit in so well with new lore though? I've no idea, stopped "following" M&M lore since the last reboot.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i thought the codex of all places would be more sympathic to extermination quests that involve killing those responsible for poisoning wells.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, that'd be a bit better. Or some cult. I like clearing out cults in M&M games. I guess they don't fit in so well with new lore though? I've no idea, stopped "following" M&M lore since the last reboot.

The new MnM universe is not terrible. I mean, it's not Planescape but compared to previous MnM universes and plots the Hungarians responsible for Homam6 at least tried to introduce some complexity/morbidity flavour with their new creation.

Insane angels using humans as their stock cattle, raped wives running away, amassing an army and slaughtering their dirtbag husbands, daughters murdering their fathers, brothers executing said daughters and said daughters being turned into undead liches by their zombie aunts...I mean, not your typical NWC vibe.

That said, I found the plot and setting of MMX poor and bland, by far the worst part of the whole game.

Arkeus

Arcane
Prefer extermination quests when they're somehow surprising or sinister. I liked the "clear ghosts from tomb" quest in Skyrim that was really just a shady researcher wanting to keep other graverobbers out, making him put in a lot of traps and ghostly shenanigans. The wanamingo quest of FO2 was also good, mainly because of how bizarre it was to find Ripley-like aliens in a FO2 setting.
I actually liked that the whole spider quest was because someone forgot to feed pets on a boat.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Am I stupid or why I can't figure that lvl 2 floor puzzle of Fortress of Crows? :( I think I've tried it about 40 minutes. I can only get to the point where I have 2 parts left.

E: Ah, typical, I gave up thinking, and just started going randomly, and with about 4th try I solved it. :lol:

Last edited:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
And now I noticed, it wasnt even necessary, and only gave random loot. After that I noticed I hadn't looked at one corner, which had a chest that gave a key. :rage:

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The guy replying to Infinitron has a point - what the reviewer likely meant is that even if you're winking to the audience to show you recognize you're doing something banal, you're still doing something banal; not that the developers were genuinely unaware of what they were doing.
I just noticed that that was the review's author, swcarter.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Which is fine. If it is Integrated into the storyline in a halfway coherent way. Would you have accepted it without question if Gladiator had ended with Luke Skywalker zooming by in a spaceship blasting the emperor with a laser cannon? No, because that would have been fucking silly and out of nowhere. Like it was in MM7.

Nope. You knew right from the start.
All right, nobody said aloud: "Look, hi-tech guys in aqualungs!", but it was there.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yep, there was a brief video of a spaceship crashing and frog-men walking ashore.

This was not mentioned AT ALL until maybe 1-2 hours before game over. This does not constitute good integration.

Gozma

Arcane
Don't think I'm gonna finish the game.

First, lemme set aside my problems with this as a Might and Magic sequel.

Here's the big problem with the combat: They give you extremely powerful damage mitigation tools like holy armor, really strong heals, really strong and effectively infinite potions, and the general panoply of buffs and debuffs. It's very very easy to reach a point where the monsters in an area or even the entire game are zero threat to actually kill you. But it still takes minutes and minutes real time to finish these tactically "solved" combats with full blown damage sperg parties, never mind improvised first playthrough stuff. Even most of the wrinkles added to combat like monsters with retaliation and damage reflection end up being damage brakes that slow down combat even further. I'm tempted to think the basic damage-soaking-tug-of-war dynamic is just what designers are used to now in the post-MMORPG era and they can't conceptualize anything else, but it may just be a straight up error.

They compound the error by throwing very repetitive trash mob encounters using the same 2-3 enemy types per area in your way in various contrived ambushes, meaning you can very easily find yourself looking down the well of multiple hours to clear an area where every single fight is pure deadmind. The "Jesus H. Christ this dungeon has ANOTHER FLOOR?" feeling comes over and over. This bloated fake-tactical combat is probably half the playtime of the game and is used to pad out the perceived size of the twisty corridor maps.

Stuff that takes minutes and minutes to finish has a very high burden of interestingness, designerman

Random problems:

Random magic items suck, mostly because the power curve of the game is so flat aside from damage mitigation. I never found a single piece of non-relic equipment in the game that felt like a legitimate "gamechanger". You feel lucky to get stuff that is a tiny incremental improvement on whatever you have on, because 95% or more of random items are worthless to you. Money also gets out of control shortly into the second act so it even becomes a pain to throw the stuff away.

It's hard to decide how good the exploration is when the combat is so bad and so slow. I liked the stuff that was there (finding trainers, the mysterious and dangerous caves), really enjoyed the riddle tower and riddle chests, and the elemental shard riddle-rooms were mostly good.

Random praise:

They handled buffs pretty well. The short durations mostly keep you out of "TIME TO GET UP ALL DA BUFFS!!" except in exceptional circumstances.

Gozma

Arcane
Also one other thing: I thought I could just ignore the lore stuff but man they try so hard to keep shoving that shit in your face. So much obvious effort has been spent on it. If you have Dwarves with Scottish accents I will never pay attention to your lore, alright? Please just stop. It's like watching a small child try to wake up a dead animal. Read old Gygax modules to see how to make generic fantasy fun and light instead of leaden beyond belief.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
15466.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dunno, from my experience the combat is actually fast enough. Sure, it isn't the kill-200-mobs-in-one-click traditional MM design but that can only be a good thing...

The dungeons aren't anything to complaing about either... If anything, they're actually too short.

Tigranes

Arcane
Finished second run with the new dungeons (which were pretty meh), uninstalled. Good fun, but now I'm done. There aren't enough customisation options, and combined with the poor loot table and little nonlinearity there's no real reason to keep going. Still, it did a good job for those two playthroughs and that's a respectable performance.

Combat and movement isn't slow at all, with 300% speed, which is good because it really would have been a drag if they were. Once you figure out the system you can create some powerful parties, and the Warden is really really powerful now with buffed bows - I'd say as good as or nearl yas good as bladedancer.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not gonna trawl through 220+ pages of this thread to find the answers to my questions, so I'm just gonna ask. I happened to notice this game being available in retail here in Iceland, and except for the price ($45!) there is no mention of any DRM besides "online activation". Does this game require Steam to work, or does it have that Uplay thing everyone seems to loathe so much?

Darkion

Augur
I'm not gonna trawl through 220+ pages of this thread to find the answers to my questions, so I'm just gonna ask. I happened to notice this game being available in retail here in Iceland, and except for the price ($45!) there is no mention of any DRM besides "online activation". Does this game require Steam to work, or does it have that Uplay thing everyone seems to loathe so much?

It requires Steam AND that Uplay thing that's almost universally hated. The game is fun, so it's worth the pain but if you get it make sure that you kill Uplay's Cloud saves synchronization because it loves to mess up your savegames.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the info, it's getting rare when a retail copy is a good deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom