Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
TVcK5cB.png

6GB VRAM for Ultra Textures. LoL.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I can't believe people are saying this game is "like Assassin's Creed combined with Arkham Asylum in Middle Earth" as if that were a good thing.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Follow-up on the Texturemania, fished out from somewhere else:

Ultra-Textures are not available yet, so the PC Gamer Vid only uses "High".

I doubt even the ultra-textures will use 6 Gigs on 1080p however - High uses 2.7 Gigs but with downsampling from 2720 x 1700 @ 1920 x 1200. Reason because I didn't try 1080 is because Mordor recognizes my downsampling-resolution as native and will only use percentages of that- so instead of 1080p I'll get some really weired ones like 1927 x 1187 or something like that (and I can't be arsed to fix it right now).

There is however a ingame-supersampling option so you can set the internal rendering to 200 % and will get effectivly 4K-Res while still being in 1080p. If I'd use that coming from 1080p instead of 1700p I'd wager you'd be around 3 Gigs. So the recommendation seems plausible.

So with Ultra-Textures taking somewhat more VRAM and Supersampling enabled, 4 Gigs might be just not enough, making the jump to 6 Gigs logical. - Remember: With Supersampling you're effectively running 4K not 1080p. Coming from there, I'd wager you'll be absolutely fine with 3 Gigs running this game with everything set to ultra, including textures but disabled supersamping.

It also runs very nice. Everything set to ultra except textures and downsampling I get an average framerate of just over 60 with some minor drops to ~50. Setting this to 4K, I still get 45+ with a R9 290X. This is an Nvidia-sponsored game, so Geforce-users will probably be at least slightly higher than this with a similar performing GPU (GTX 780- 780T i, Titan, GTX 970)
I'll test that more in-depth at some point next week, so we'll see.

So much for not optimized.

So don't get your panties in a bunch "wink"

Just what I thought. Publishers trying to artificially drive hardware sales because collusion == beeznees as usual nowadays.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Time was running out on this month's GMG 25% off coupon, so I went ahead and preordered. Even if the gameplay is repetitive and mediocre (and it looks fun enough), very much looking forward to developing my enemies and guiding the outcome to each individual little story. I hope the game is successful enough for other games down the road to take some cues from the Nemesis system to help bring their NPCs and enemies to life a little more.

Getting the extra skin so I don't have to look at that annoying haircut is just a bonus.

Monad

Learned
Been trying to sell my 660 ti for that 970 goodness, not for this game because it looks retarded, but yea going to need some more VRAM soon anyways.

Deleted member 7219

I don't understand this. It looks like it was made by a console player. How is choosing PC the bad option?

It's not. Isildur made the right choice.

He didn't. He could have thrown it into the lava and saved the world, but weakness and greed made him keep it for himself and he ended up facedown in the river, full of arrows. He absolutely made the wrong choice... not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
He didn't. He could have thrown it into the lava and saved the world, but weakness and greed made him keep it for himself and he ended up facedown in the river, full of arrows. He absolutely made the wrong choice... not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

What is saving the world in comparison to unlimited power?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why is Mordor brown and brightly lit? The name means "Black Land" or "Land of Darkness" in the lore, and many of the warped creatures of Mordor couldn't bear the sun. It's supposed to look like this:

6fa425223a.png

b819d5ae19.png

As a child, long before the movies, I read Lord of the Rings and this is exactly how I imagined Mordor, except even more vague, shadowed, and mysterious. I may have seen an illustration somewhere as well.

What the fuck is this brown pissbloom bright bullshit? Fuck this pile of trash.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Why is Mordor brown and brightly lit? The name means "Black Land" or "Land of Darkness" in the lore, and many of the warped creatures of Mordor couldn't bear the sun. It's supposed to look like this:

6fa425223a.png

b819d5ae19.png

As a child, long before the movies, I read Lord of the Rings and this is exactly how I imagined Mordor, except even more vague, shadowed, and mysterious. I may have seen an illustration somewhere as well.

What the fuck is this brown pissbloom bright bullshit? Fuck this pile of trash.

Isn't that the inner depth of Mordor or something? Mordor comprises a pretty large geographic area, and what with the massive volcano I don't think the visuals in the game are that inaccurate.

Edit: I watched the trailer on the last page. If you are referencing that I can see what you mean, but a gameplay video I was watching made the game look way darker - visually. So who knows.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes, I'm sure there are outlying areas and all that, but I was actually giving the game the benefit of the doubt with the duller brown areas. There are plenty of areas in the footage I've seen that are straight-up bright and verdant, like a summer's day, with lush grasses and so on. There is a night cycle, but when it's not night, it looks like my backyard.

...the text describes it as a "dying land not yet dead". The vegetation included "low scrubby trees", "coarse grey grass-tussocks", "withered mosses", "great writhing, tangled brambles", and thickets of briars with long, stabbing thorns. The fauna included maggots, midges, and flies marked with "a red eye-shaped blotch".

As for the volcano, volcanos don't actually light up entire landscapes. I know the movies sometimes (?) depicted Mordor as dominated by Mount Doom with large lava flows going everywhere, but even the movie depictions show a much darker land than I see in this game:

c92bc977ad.png

That "negative greenish-black" look of the flatland and structures with eldritch mist and shit is what I expect, not a romp through a volcano-backlit baseball field with stone walls distributed here and there and ugly dudes to fight.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The Mordor part from the movies is Gorgoroth. The game seems to take place at least partially in Nurn, SE part of Mordor which was fertile land that fed Sauron's armies.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The Mordor part from the movies is Gorgoroth. The game seems to take place at least partially in Nurn, SE part of Mordor which was fertile land that fed Sauron's armies.

Yeah? Well, the game's called Shadow of Mordor, not Sunlight on a Farm.

I'm definitely no expert on LotR lore, not even remotely, but I don't want to see this part of Mordor, any more than I'm going to fly to Paris to tour the sewer system (actually, that might be p. cool).

I just know this has something to do with the design mentality of, "But players have to be able to see!" which brought us the fantastic Thiaf, for example.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Good point bro, theme and atmosphere don't matter at all. Here, I painted you some pink Chaos Space Marines....

c485fc0c4f.png

Wait, that looks cool as fuck. :negative:

Drakron

Arcane
Talion is not Batman. Another shitty game trying to copy paste rocksteady's formula, but failing miserably.

Pretty much.

Watch.Dogs used the same basic formula that AC but at least same studio and make more sense that AC bullshit gene memory crap.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Talion is not Batman. Another shitty game trying to copy paste rocksteady's formula, but failing miserably.
It isn't like if Rocksteady's formula is worth copying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom