Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

tormund

Arcane
I won't be buying Microsoft's games until they're on GOG.
So far they have been p unwilling to re-release their older stuff (unless they did overpriced "HD" versions like with AoE and AoM).
That is annoying as fuck, since they are setting on a treasure trove of classic PC games but are for some reason willing to pretend that those games dont even exist.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
You can run Steam games without steam running as long as the developer allows it. Whether or not they consider themselves a platform is irrelevant.

Good for Steam? You can run any UWP app on Windows 10 and never have to open the Store app to do so. It's an API dumbass.

I can download a game from steam, close it move the folder elsewhere uninstall steam and then run it perfectly fine. I doubt I can do the same with windows 10 games.

You could download and install UWP games from Steam if any were available, because it's an API fucktard.

You are one of those.... you own a Windows Phone don't ya....

Yep. Totally up to my knees in Windows Phones. What?

Aruil

Educated
Patron
Did I say you have to open the store, or are you answering to your imaginary friend? I know it's an API just as I know you are not worth the time it took me to type these words. Have fun being stupid.

pippin

I won't be buying Microsoft's games until they're on GOG.
So far they have been p unwilling to re-release their older stuff (unless they did overpriced "HD" versions like with AoE and AoM).
That is annoying as fuck, since they are setting on a treasure trove of classic PC games but are for some reason willing to pretend that those games dont even exist.

Yeah, I'd pay full price for gog versions of Close Combat and Age Of games. Particularly close combat, I only played those as a very young kid when I barely knew english so for me that was the game where I moved soldiers around until tanks exploded and smoke came out of them.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Close Combats, Freelancer, Rice of Nations: Rice of Legends, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries & Crimson Skies.
Pre X-Box MicroSoft had some very good titles.

TBH Close Combat 3 was the biggest gaming related disappointment I've ever had.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yep.
It lacked focus; going from 1941 operation Barbarossa to 1945 defense of Berlin in two dozen maps or so.
Infantry was too squishy and troop roster lacked its predecessors way of separating different troop types into "core" and "support"-types thus encouraging player to fill entire roster with tanks and few mortars.

I had just played Close Combat 2 (which I fucking love despite its flaws) and was in process of reading Sven Hassel books so I was hyped when I heard about Close Combat 3.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I agree, it jumped a bit much. Stalingrad didn't exactly feel like "rattenkrieg".

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Did I say you have to open the store, or are you answering to your imaginary friend? I know it's an API just as I know you are not worth the time it took me to type these words. Have fun being stupid.

You were just whining about something you "suspected", but admitted to have no clue about. At least you've learned we're talking about an API, I guess that's progress. Which makes all your points irrelevant, btw sunshine.

Aruil

Educated
Patron
No, you fucking dumbass. "I doubt" as a figure of speech(I know you can't uninstall windows 10 and still run UWP games, since that in contrast to Steam IS a platform).

My point was that you can play steam games after you have uninstalled steam. There were no other points. You are still confusing me with your imaginary friend. My answer was to you incorrectly saying that the steam client is needed to run ANY AND ALL games on that platform which is false.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-stealthily-edits-xbox-play-anywhere-description/

Microsoft stealthily edits Xbox Play Anywhere description

One of the biggest features in Windows 10's looming Anniversary Update is the arrival of Xbox Play Anywhere. Play Anywhere is the magic that'll allow you to play Microsoft Studios games on Xbox or PC with shared saves and achievements.

When I reported on the update last week, the description on the announcementread: "Every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere ..."

Since then, a subtle difference has crept in. Can you spot it? "Every new title published from Microsoft Studios that we showed onstage at E3 this year will support Xbox Play Anywhere ..."

That's a significant—and stealthy—change. Perhaps Microsoft is just keeping its options open. Phil Spencer has previously told us that his aim is not to unify Windows and Xbox entirely.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Did Microsoft get into gaming again yet? When's the next monster truck madness out?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney-...-progressively-worse-with-windows-10-patches/

Tim Sweeney thinks Microsoft will make Steam "progressively worse" with Windows 10 patches

f6p3EzGx4yx9hnDSbVhjaL-650-80.png

It's well established that Tim Sweeney, co-founder of Epic Games and co-creator of the Unreal Engine, is not a fan of where Microsoft is headed with Windows 10. He's criticised the Universal Windows Platform twice this year, claiming that it's an attempt by Microsoft to monopolise what has traditionally been a happily open platform.

Now, in an interview with Edge Magazine, Sweeney has become even more direct in his criticisms, claiming that future updates to Windows 10 could serve to erode the usefulness of third-party applications and storefronts like Steam.

"There are two programming interfaces for Windows and every app has to choose one of them," he said. "Every Steam app – every PC game for the past few decades – has used Win32. It’s been both responsible for the vibrant software market we have now, but also for malware. Any program can be a virus. Universal Windows Platform is seen as an antidote to that. It’s sandboxed – much more locked down."

"The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everybody to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows Store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won’t be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they’re trying to do is a series of sneaky manoeuvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones."

While that could technically be true, how could Microsoft ever hope to bring down something as gargantuan as Steam, either intentionally or inadvertently? Sweeney believes they have a plan for that.

"Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative. That’s exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they’re doing it to Steam. It’s only just starting to become visible. Microsoft might not be competent enough to succeed with their plan, but they’re certainly trying."

Sweeney has previously said that the PC has remained at the vanguard of graphics innovation because it's an open platform. Microsoft's supposed attempts to turn Windows into a closed platform risks neutering new breakthroughs such as VR before they've had a chance to flourish.

Lunac

Arcane
Windows Store as an alternative????? He's giving Hindusoft and their Wyrmlord armies too much credit. Face it, this is NOT the Microsoft of the 1990s. If all other app stores... hell, if Google AND Apple just disappeared overnight, Microsoft would still fuck it up somehow, and a nobody-heard-of competitor would come out of shadows and release "that next great thing!" and ruin Microsoft's aspirations, all the while Microsoft would be pushing overweight .NET bullshit APIs and OSnsa spyware onto everyone and wondering how they let it happen AGAIN.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Same trick they've pulled for years.

• Release game as "xbox exclusive"
  • Wait several months
  • Port to PC
  • ???
  • PROFIT

They pulled it with Alan Wake (admittedly that took longer to get ported) and other titles. They want people to buy it on console first due to the licensing cut they get.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fucking hell:

This Dumb Industry: Windows 10 Store, Round 2
splash_this_dumb_industry.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my misadventures with the Windows 10 Store, and how trying to conduct a simple transaction had screwed up my computer. Some people quite reasonably pointed out that my complaints were more focused on the problems with the operating system than with the store, so my comparisons to Steam were unfair.

Okay then. Let’s ignore all the horribleness of the Anniversary Update and focus on the store. Let’s try to buy Forza 3 Horizon.

When I search the store for Forza 3, this is where it takes me:

tdi_win10store4.jpg

“Available only as part of a bundle.”

What we have here is a store listing for something that can’t be bought. What you need to do is scroll down to details hidden off-screen to see this:

tdi_win10store5.jpg

Okay, so you can’t buy this game. But you can buy it in a “bundle”. And those “bundles” are just the different editions of the game. I’m sure this makes sense to some database nerd at Microsoft. They probably have the listing for the core game components, and then include that listing as part of the different editions. But there is no reason to expose this layer of abstraction to the user. The consumer does not care how you structure your database, and the entire purpose of a store FRONT is to present the customer with a clear interface for selecting products.

Fine. Let’s just click on the Standard Edition.

tdi_win10store6.jpg

Like Origin before them, Microsoft seems to think that they’re the only store around, and not a hilarious underdog in the face of an overpowering market hegemon. Even ignoring Steam’s shocking market share, the rest of the market isn’t terribly fluid either. Both Origin and Good Old Games have the Win 10 Store beat on price, features, and I-already-have-an-account-elsewhere-so-why-bother.

Not only is the Windows 10 store not offering any competition to Steam, they’re not even putting up a meaningful threat to the humble also-ran platforms. Here they’re trying to sell games to PC users by charging console markup prices. Sure, that’s what the game costs on Xbox One, and if you buy the game on one platform then you can play it on both / either. That’s a nice feature. But this doesn’t help lure people away from Steam, Good Old Games, or Origin. The rest of Microsoft figured this out decades ago: Get customers locked-in, then you can price-gouge them.

But Forza 3 Horizon is a popular title with glowing reviews, so let’s just assume I’m willing to pay $60 for this game and ignore the pages and pages of successful, well-reviewed, and much-cheaper offerings on Steam.

First off, let’s make sure I can run it. I scroll down to see that there is no compatibility information. I actually need to go back to the previous page – the edition of the game you can’t buy – to see what the system requirements are. Again, this is sad, bush-league stuff. Worse, when I get there I find this:

tdi_win10store7.jpg

Which is wrong. I’ve got 16GB of main memory. My graphics card has 3GB of memory. This blunder wouldn’t be so pitiful if this storefront wasn’t being run by the same people who write my operating system, which means they really ought to know how to properly query system properties. I mean, I can look up these things in control panel and they’re listed correctly. How hard did they need to work to get this wrong?

But fine. Let’s just give Microsoft a completely undeserved benefit of the doubt. Let’s try to buy this thing anyway. I press the big green “Buy” button and…

tdi_win10store8.jpg

All of that stuff directly under “Choose an account” is actually one big button. So what we have here is a dialog asking for you to either press a button or close the box. If you close the box (maybe because you wanted to go and look up what the login info is) then the Storefront “buy” button doesn’t come back. It just says “Working” forever, and there’s no way to return to this dialog except to close the entire store and start over.

After you type in your name and password, you’re sent to this screen:

tdi_win10store9.jpg

This is a very complex choice, and Microsoft is presenting it in a very confusing way.

I’m not using an account password on my machine. The last thing I want on my PC is a login step. For example, two weeks ago when the Anniversary Update hosed my computer, I was obliged to reboot dozens of times in the process of sorting it out. It was an infuriating and time-consuming process, and forcing me to type a password for every reboot would have just been salt in the wound.

I don’t want a password on my computer. I want the members of my family to be able to come over here and use my computer whenever they need to, and I don’t want them to have to memorize one of my massive, complex passwords to do so. (And since this is an on-line account, I’d have to use that sort of password.) They already have their own passwords they need to memorize. My mom sometimes stops by the house to print things, and I want her to be able to do so, even if I’m not around to type in my password for her. Sure, I could put the password on a stickynote on the monitor. But then why have a password at all? And finally, if I’m having connectivity problems[1] the last thing I want is for my PC to stall and waste a bunch of my time at the sign-in screen waiting for a reply from a server that can’t be reached.

The point being, a Windows login is all downside for me. I can see why other people find them useful, but I see it as a needless risk[2] and a hassle.

The very last thing I want on this machine is a password lock. But here the store is presenting me with a situation where it wants to add one. Microsoft is saying, “Oh, we see you DO have a Microsoft account after all. Once you use it here in the store, we’ll go ahead and use it when logging into the machine at start-up.” From my perspective this is not a feature, but an act of aggression.

I need to get through this process without the store making any changes to how my operating system works. So now I’m reading these three paragraphs of text, trying to figure out how to preserve my current setup. I can leave the password field blank or I can press the link to sign in to “just this app”. I should add that there are no back buttons on any of these dialogs, so you really don’t want to make a mistake here.

You might point out that I’m once again blaming the store for the sins of the operating system. I’d be happy to stop doing that the moment the store stops screwing with my operating system.

Anyway, I use the blue link and I think it works. And so we come to the moment of truth:

tdi_win10store10.jpg

“No refunds”. This is particularly galling since this game requires the Anniversary Update, which kills my PC. I don’t have that update, but the store is letting me buy the game anyway. Also the store incorrectly thinks I don’t meet the hardware requirements. The store is willing to sell me a game it “knows” I can’t run, and it doesn’t allow for refunds.

This is shocking. Origin offers refunds. Steam offers refunds. GoG offers refunds.

So let’s sum up the Windows 10 Store as compared to the competition:

1. Buggy.
  2. Meager catalog, consisting mostly of mobile shovelware. That’s not going to compete well against the classics at GoG, the mix of back titles and AAA stuff at Origin, or the EVERYTHING at Steam.
  3. Numerous interface problems that needlessly confuse, hassle, or worry the would-be customer.
  4. Because of the way apps are locked away from the user, Windows 10 games have a bunch of technical limitations: No SLI / Crossfire support. You can’t disable VSYNC. You can’t use mods. Can’t use game overlays. Can’t capture game footage using FRAPS or Bandicam, and as far as I can tell, that means you can’t livestream the game either. In the age of YouTube and Twitch, this is unforgivable.
  5. Highest prices.
  6. NO REFUNDS.
Pay more with greater financial risk to endure more hassle so you can play a game with less features on a platform away from your network of Steam friends. And that’s assuming you can get the damn thing to work at all. Microsoft has learned nothing from the Games for Windows LIVE debacle. They seem intent on making the same mistakes on an even grander scale.

Appalling.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Not interested in hype and bs from MS, will pay attention if anything actually real ever shows up. They should bring back Ascheron's Call or something good. They were backing a game called Vanguard that could have been a big hit if they followed it through, but they abandoned it (along with pc gaming in general) to focus on their dudebox.

J1M

Arcane
The thing Microsoft did for gaming this year was buy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xamarin and open source their libraries. Essentially reviving XNA via monogame.

EDIT: That means you can take your XNA game and port it to other platforms without paying royalties.

Last edited:

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
The thing Microsoft did for gaming this year was buy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xamarin and open source their libraries. Essentially reviving XNA via monogame.

EDIT: That means you can take your XNA game and port it to other platforms without paying royalties.
Isn't it too late? Pretty much everything is on Unity now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom