Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I would've been okay with it if they actually developed Big Medic a little bit further with it. Maybe with him having a crisis of identity and a falling out with Big Boss over having his life stolen away from him, only for him to come to terms with it or maybe even start his own little rebellion against him, in which we can actually see Big Boss' proper fall to darkness. Instead he just grins, punches a mirror, and roll to credits. It's a poor man's attempt at emulating the twist in MGS2 that has neither the punch or the build-up towards it that really made it effective in that game.

I'm not as bothered with the twist as other people, because as plenty have pointed out we've had the answer for why Big Boss became what he was by Metal Gear as far back as MGS3, but I'm still disappointed that they dedicated an entire game to what basically amounted to giving the player a weak tap on the shoulder to say "Congrats, you're Big Boss!" instead of actually doing something with it, and to explain what is essentially a minor to the point of utterly insignificant plot hole from MG2.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game stops being fun when it tries to force you into combat.

I just did the mission where I found the old guy in his mansion. Skull snipers made sure I had a miserable time getting there. I tried sneaking past but they always managed to spot me when I moved between cover. I ended up just sprinting in a zigzag until I was past them.

Apparently the next mission will have more skulls. Oh joy.

The game forces you on combat because these are the bosses of the gaem. Yes, I know. Some of you wanted to catch from the back the Sahelantropus, choke it, leave it unconscious and fultoning it. But, you know, is a boss. You must kill him. Like in the other MGS games.

Anyway, in the fight against the snipers you can go through the zone only by stealth. I remember that I caught one from behind, but when I tried to take her from the back she changed of position Quiet-style.

Literally this is most of missions. If you crawl there is like 5% chance dudes will find you even when you are just 5m away from them and they look directly with night vision on you. Unlike rest of the games where sneaking was sort of puzzle you had to brake in order to be successful here you just crawl and you can go anywhere. AI compared to earlier games are just plain retarded. They can't see shit and even if you see you it takes like 15 seconds for them to even notice that you are actually there.

It is actually hilarious to sneak past by few walking gears and dudes and they all say HUH and they will all follow you like sheep ( try it !).

But why you would even sneak by when you can anihilate whole thing ? And i think that is literally what made MGS5 unberable. Because at least in earlier MGS games on higher def you really had to sneak in order to be succesful. Alarms rised always were fucking your things up and it was actually trouble to handle them.

Here alarm just means more stuff for your base. Just sprint around from side (since enemies are fucking blind) and fulton everything. I think last Quiet mission ultimately shown me how meta game completely destroyed game. Whole mission i just sprinted and fultoned every new tank, apc or other stuff.

All of this would be berable if there was actually higher def where AI isn't so retarded and damage you take is actually huge instead of taking buckets of lead and few granades on head and still walking away for that safe spot where you will autoregenerate health.

Buddy system is interesting but aside from horse all of them are basically cheats to your already easy game. Quiet will kill anyone you want and clear whole base alone, DDog is just walking radar that will show you anything and Walking hear is just your better tank.

Game could be so much better. I had hopes after few 10 missions but after ending i don't think i will go back to it ever. It is basically worse brother of peace walker which by itself is huge shitstain.

I think "that" point in game for me was sneaking suit. Remember all those times in all metal gears where you had carefully sneak to dude to stun/kill/whatever him ? Well if you use sneaking suit which is basically available in first 5 missions you no longer need to adjust your walking speed. IT doesn't matter you can almost run to dude and he will still not hear you.

Sorry, but that thing about you can crawl through the entire game because enemies didn't see you just sounds false to me after all I experienced through the game. Even considering that during the night enemies have lesser camp of vision always I had to hide and avoid their patrols to avoid getting caught. And it just sounds funny, because there's no sense of puzle in sneaking in the past games, all was about avoiding that fucking cone style camp of vision, even in MGS3 and MGS4. AI in this game, even having flaws, is way better than the AI in the previous games, and I think there's no discussion about this. Because I completed MGS2 some days ago, where you can literally shoot an enemy with the SOCOM without silencer and they will not notice about it. The whole gameplay felt like a joke compared with the deep of MGSV. And there's no problem with it, because MGS2 is a 14 years old game, and it's "flaws" are comprehensible.

Let's go on. In the previous games you can go Rambo style killing enemies too. It's something that I've done during my playthrough of MGS2 in parts where the camera just sold you to the enemies. It's something that I've done in MGS3 a lot of times, and MGS4 doesn't need introduction. Only in the first two MG games and MGS you can't go rambo style, and all thanks to a retarded infinite enemy respawn and gameplay mecanics where enemies can shoot you but you can't shoot properly against them because they are out of the fucking borders of the screen and the shooting system is so rough that hurts.

And it's funny, because in the last Quiet mission I died a couple of times thanks to the constant enemy deployment and the one fucking dead hit from the thanks, but now results that the whole mission is easy peasy limon squeezy ride through a park because you can run and fulton the fucking tanks, which is true but it's simply doesn't eliminate all the risk of being hitted and raped in a bullet rain. It's true that autogenerating health makes thing easier than having a life bar and a ration system, it's very obvious. But, even considering that, there's a lot of action situations though the game where the autogenerating health system it just doesn't help the player. And while is true too that the buddies helps a lot during infiltrations (Which is what is wanted from a good buddy, not being completing useless and making the game harder), it's not true that Quiet can eliminate a whole camp alone, because every time I wanted to do that I needed to call the chopper and help her even getting myself into action too, because she gets spotted quickly and gets forced to change her position and, in a couple of times, she got so injured that literally abandoned the area and went to the nursing in the Mother base. And Walking gear is so good and OP buddy that nobody wanted to play with it. :M

And, as it was said before, in older MGS games steps sounds didn't even exist. Only in MGS3 and MGS4 when you wanted to caught someone by the back it was a problem. You can run near of them too without getting caught, and in both games were suits and forms to avoid making any noise too.

Concluding this text who nobody is interested in, MGSV is easily the best MGS games in terms of gameplay. Even the most negative critics against the game fell in that conclusion, even when they comented improvable things like the fast travel system or the lack of variety in objectives in the missions. What a lust of butthurt that this game has raised. And I'm pretty happy with it, because great past games like Zelda majora's mask, Silent hill 2 or the own Metal gear solid 2 sons of libery raised butthurt back in the day. I'm glad this is not just an hyperbolic praise like in a lot of other games whose got praised by the critics and people and eventually fell in the hole of oblivion.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
...it's not true that Quiet can eliminate a whole camp alone, because every time I wanted to do that I needed to call the chopper and help her even getting myself into action too, because she gets spotted quickly and gets forced to change her position and, in a couple of times, she got so injured that literally abandoned the area and went to the nursing in the Mother base.

What gun do you have for her? I have her using the anti-tank gun, and I have had her clear out entire bases (including some of the bigger ones, like the petroleum plant and the mine) almost single-handed on multiple occasions.

dunno lah

Arcane
Just started playing today on a PS3, so I'm just taffing around with the mechanics in the first mission. I wish the game had a more realistic use of sound and vision detection. Here are some examples:
1) Breaking a pot from just about 10m from a guard in Wialo village, but no response.
2) They used the same "noisiness" from GZ's suit for the fatigues. That means like Perkel said, crawling at any speed is silent, which is unacceptable to me.
3) Guards have decent enough vision to spot an enemy(you), the problem is him confirming his detection. I approached a guard up to the point where he saw something, but he had to close in like another 10 meters to detect me, which in practice, makes him useless. (I also tried moving backwards as the guard approached and he just didn't have the "AI" to detect me.)
4) Guards are incredibly slow to react during combat. I fired a bullet after dispatching the guards in the village around the cmd center in Wialo village. I think it took about a minute for one guard to come to my location. I then saw another two guards coming from the distance after killing the first guy.

All this was done during the day, as I assumed that their senses would be much better and I can't seem to see jack shit during the night. Maybe my TV's calibrated wrong or something, but I suspect it's more to do with the engine's lighting. Like looking out from a dark interior makes the outdoors look bright as fucking day wtf?? Maybe it's because PS3...

Of course, I still hope it's because it's just the first mission and all but my problems have more to do with the systems and not difficulty levels (wheredafak is mah difficulty level?!!) I really hope some guy can mod the game to my tastes because as it is, sneaking just isn't satisfying on a gameplay level. At least with the older games, enemies are very good at draining your health bar(on Extreme of course). MGS1 and 2 had that puzzle aspect with their level design and MGS3 and 4 had spaces that were still designed to be navigated like a puzzle. I actually went into Wialo village and got the intel by doing exactly what Perkel did, except I used the crouch stance...I liked the prone leg sweep though.

Quick question: Does enemy stats affect their in-game effectiveness?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dataminers found some more cut content on the PC version, this time of a "burning Big Boss" scene, but context isn't entirely clear;
tumblr_inline_nujleewmbA1rd28f2_500.gif

Perkel

Arcane
Sorry, but that thing about you can crawl through the entire game because enemies didn't see you just sounds false to me after all I experienced through the game. Even considering that during the night enemies have lesser camp of vision always I had to hide and avoid their patrols to avoid getting caught. And it just sounds funny, because there's no sense of puzle in sneaking in the past games, all was about avoiding that fucking cone style camp of vision, even in MGS3 and MGS4. AI in this game, even having flaws, is way better than the AI in the previous games, and I think there's no discussion about this. Because I completed MGS2 some days ago, where you can literally shoot an enemy with the SOCOM without silencer and they will not notice about it. The whole gameplay felt like a joke compared with the deep of MGSV. And there's no problem with it, because MGS2 is a 14 years old game, and it's "flaws" are comprehensible.

I can literally do circles around dudes going full crawl in night. AI is simply dumb. When they will spot something they take like half a minute to do something with it. Like i said you can literally get spotted drop to crawl and crawl away without single fucks given.

That mission on airport was the one that completely showed all its problems. I literally crawled whole airport straight to landing pad then to stairs and up. Didn't even care about dudes because i knew that they can't see shit past 10m.

Deleted member 7219

Weird. When I try to crawl past people I am spotted as soon as I close to within 5-10m. If they are looking in my direction and I crawl towards them, I get the ! and that turns into an alert unless I find cover or tranq them quickly.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Weird. When I try to crawl past people I am spotted as soon as I close to within 5-10m. If they are looking in my direction and I crawl towards them, I get the ! and that turns into an alert unless I find cover or tranq them quickly.

That is because what he is saying is bullshit. If they have NVG's or binoculars and Snipers are around especially.

Caim

Arcane
Alright, how the fuck do you finish the target practice missions on the R&D and Command platforms? The other ones had the courtesy to have all their targets either reachable from a single location (Medical) or in a path that you could figure out without having to consult a crystal ball or the tarot cards (Intel). All I need to do is finish those two missions and I've done all side ops.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Alright, how the fuck do you finish the target practice missions on the R&D and Command platforms? The other ones had the courtesy to have all their targets either reachable from a single location (Medical) or in a path that you could figure out without having to consult a crystal ball or the tarot cards (Intel). All I need to do is finish those two missions and I've done all side ops.

Youtube them. That's the only way I could finish them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It took me an hour to get R&D down, since it has multiple really tricky spots, but eventually I nailed down a route that bagged all but one target with two minutes left. Then it took me a while longer to find out where the last flippin' target was (around a goddamn duct ledge corner that lead to nowhere else except a lethal fall!). Command was much easier, since there's only one sort of tricky target there (one of the ledges of the big central tower).

halimakibb

Novice
Reflex mode always popping up at the Code Talker mission for unknown reasons whenever those Sniper Skulls take a shot at Big Medic. Now I cannot get S rank in those two missions and I feel filthy. Why the fuck is this happening? (I already turn off the Reflex Mode in the option)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Reflex mode always popping up at the Code Talker mission for unknown reasons whenever those Sniper Skulls take a shot at Big Medic. Now I cannot get S rank in those two missions and I feel filthy. Why the fuck is this happening? (I already turn off the Reflex Mode in the option)

I think that's intended and doesn't affect your score.

However, if you want S rank in that mission, it's better idea to sneak past the Skulls, not fight them.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've seen videos of the Code Talker mission where players just sprinted up the right side of the map, without confrontation.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've seen videos of the Code Talker mission where players just sprinted up the right side of the map, without confrontation.
Yeah, I discovered that by accident just because the canyon was the most obvious option. Just restart the mission and look for a stream through a canyon.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I completed MGS1 for the first time (ePSXe), I want to see how it goes full retard. Anyone got a PS3 they want to sell? D:

halimakibb

Novice
I think that's intended and doesn't affect your score.

AH, I got zero point for "No Reflex", and therefore also the zero point for the "Perfect Stealth No Kill" bonus. Apparently you can still get S Rank even with the Reflex mode turned on

Beowulf

Arcane
You gain most of the points for completing the missions fast. So if you manage to speed-run a mission in <5min and even have a combat alert, you still can get S rank; which sucks big time for a supposedly stealth game.
It discourages careful exploration and planning. Sure, you can gain a S rank on your first run, but you miss a huge chunk of those "written by...", "directed by" bits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom