Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's just steam I'm afraid. I'm not sure why Konami HQ would generate that much heat: maybe it's because the heating is fueled by the burned corpses of employees.
That is sublimated evil.

Deleted member 7219

Started ignoring side-ops and went back to the main missions and I am really enjoying the game again. I just did the mission where you first meet the child soldiers.

The only side ops I'm doing now are ones tied to interpreters and resources. I am guessing you can do all the rest even after the main story is complete?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, and once you get the Rocket Arm most side ops can be breezed through effortlessly.

Also, pro-tip, you can get the FOB personnel benefits even when offline, so get dat lvl 3 bonus R&D.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started ignoring side-ops and went back to the main missions and I am really enjoying the game again.
I will do that same. I was this close to uninstall the game because of the filler missions, but I try to get over the main missions at least.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I will do that same. I was this close to uninstall the game because of the filler missions, but I try to get over the main missions at least.

No reason to burn yourself out too soon with one hundred Destroy Tanks and APC's side ops. Just start checking off yellow stuff. The side ops are mostly pointless.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
True, as long as you don't go OCD over them and try to check them all off. They are fun in the beginning since they aren't scored so you can experiment, go in guns blazing if you want, or just test a couple of strategies out.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Side ops are a useful way to blow off steam with live weapons as compared to stun/tranq.

Problem is if you do that your development will be gimped. You need fairly ridiculous staff to unlock some of the later equipment, which requires constantly kidnapping soldiers unless you want to grind or something stupid.

omega21

Arcane
Problem is if you do that your development will be gimped. You need fairly ridiculous staff to unlock some of the later equipment, which requires constantly kidnapping soldiers unless you want to grind or something stupid.
Yeah, I kidnap guys with good stats.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That also feeds into making the main ops feel samey, because alot of them are some variation of eliminating a target, but you'll always wind up inevitably extracting them because their stats are usually leaps and bounds higher than the generic soldiers you can fulton.

It's also kinda funny doing the 'extract the highly skilled soldier' side-ops near end game, because nine times out of then the soldiers guarding the target will have better stats than the target themselves (who more often than not are utter garbage).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And who says you destroy those tanks? I mean, that's pure madness. Even if you have no intention of using the tank after you kidnap it, you can still sell it for 10 times the cost of kidnapping it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/375142795779923968

CPwdwYpWwAAhaz0.jpg

Mission accomplished, Mr. Kojima.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And who says you destroy those tanks? I mean, that's pure madness. Even if you have no intention of using the tank after you kidnap it, you can still sell it for 10 times the cost of kidnapping it.

It also becomes ridiculously quick and easy once you get stealth camo, you can literally just sprint to the tanks and extract them. Also, funnily enough, enemies seem more oblivious to fultoning/wormholing vehicles than they do to extracting soldiers.

Caim

Arcane
Do enemies just ignore their buddies' gunfire? I've had several times now where D-Dog jumped an enemy and another one started to shoot him, only for me to tranquilize him. And no enemies reacted to the gunfire.

Also, I'm going to try D-Dog's Fulton suit soon. Is it any good? I got the blueprint for thad by redoing the White Mamba mission. That one's a lot easier when you can just Fulton all the kids. And I discovered that you can sneak up on the White Mamba and tranquilize him through the side door without him putting up a fight. That was pretty funny.

Deleted member 7219

Do enemies just ignore their buddies' gunfire? I've had several times now where D-Dog jumped an enemy and another one started to shoot him, only for me to tranquilize him. And no enemies reacted to the gunfire.

Also, I'm going to try D-Dog's Fulton suit soon. Is it any good? I got the blueprint for thad by redoing the White Mamba mission. That one's a lot easier when you can just Fulton all the kids. And I discovered that you can sneak up on the White Mamba and tranquilize him through the side door without him putting up a fight. That was pretty funny.

I did the White Mamba mission just now. I was a little pissed off that I could have tranquilised him by going another way, because that fight was a ballache to go through. Also I hated not being able to fulton the little bastards.

Looks like the next 2 missions involve child soldiers too... this is gonna be a pain.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok finished.

|||||||||||| REVIEW |||||||||||||||||||||||||

I played: MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS5 aka Peace Walker and MGS5-2 aka Phantom Pain (finished just now).

First off. MGS"5" or 5-2 is just second part of Peace Walker or should i even say it is direct continuation like second season of show. Peace Walker is more important to MGSV than any other mgs.

Just to make point this is how Peace Walker was named before change of name:

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-planned-as-mgs5-20100224005438714-000.jpg

So to begin, "MGSVTPP" to anyone who played Peace Walker is just more of the same. Peace Walker is pretty much identical in therms of structure and you may not believe it it has even better story (mind you compared to MGSV not to other MGS games). Whole fulton stuff, base building and so on. Everything comes from Peace Walker but Peace walker in therms of content is simply bigger (though partitioned to small bite sized areas due to PSP shitty hardware).

Problem with TPP is that most of important stuff already happened (in MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker) so MGS TPP story is just revenge and some weird shit about nukes that goes out of way in just few missions, then it goes into "chapter2" which kind of sets up things for Metal Gear and MG2 (pre MGS1 games). Problem is that none of stuff from chapter 2 beside quiet is interesting. It i s simply "just there". Imo i think game was supposed to be longer by at least story 10 missions. Overall game actually doesn't tell about anything and only Quiet and Emerich stories are somewhat interesting to see. Whole Skullface Code Talker, psycho mantis and rest of stuff was garbage and like i said i think it was planned for more content.

The twist is also garbage. Sure it kind of explains MG2 but overall i think there too should be some more content to properly handle that instead of this shitty last mission.
Child soldiers ? rotfl. Nope Kojima couldn't handle that shit or Konami just said R rating or GTFO.
Above also perfectly fits into game where you run bloody mercenaries and each and every mission is basically save the poor people etc.

So MGS5 story is literally worst story of all MGS games. It is just unfinished. Probably KONAMI said fuck you kojima and funneled rest of money to pachinko machines.

So we got story out of our fucking way. Let's go into main food of the game aka gameplay, mission design and so on.

GAME IS FUCKING SHIT. It controls awesome best of MGS games but it is fucking piss easy. I mean people often use MGS4 as worst MGS gameplay wise mostly due to short acts. But if you choose the boss difficulty game was fucking hard then and none of crap from MGS5 would work.

To give you an example how 99% of mission went for me:

Start at 18:00

1. Go to mission zone
2. Crawl to your objective
3. Tranq into head/CQC if helmet
4. Fulton target
5. Crawl away.
done.

Literally this is most of missions. If you crawl there is like 5% chance dudes will find you even when you are just 5m away from them and they look directly with night vision on you. Unlike rest of the games where sneaking was sort of puzzle you had to brake in order to be successful here you just crawl and you can go anywhere. AI compared to earlier games are just plain retarded. They can't see shit and even if you see you it takes like 15 seconds for them to even notice that you are actually there.

It is actually hilarious to sneak past by few walking gears and dudes and they all say HUH and they will all follow you like sheep ( try it !).

But why you would even sneak by when you can anihilate whole thing ? And i think that is literally what made MGS5 unberable. Because at least in earlier MGS games on higher def you really had to sneak in order to be succesful. Alarms rised always were fucking your things up and it was actually trouble to handle them.

Here alarm just means more stuff for your base. Just sprint around from side (since enemies are fucking blind) and fulton everything. I think last Quiet mission ultimately shown me how meta game completely destroyed game. Whole mission i just sprinted and fultoned every new tank, apc or other stuff.

All of this would be berable if there was actually higher def where AI isn't so retarded and damage you take is actually huge instead of taking buckets of lead and few granades on head and still walking away for that safe spot where you will autoregenerate health.

Buddy system is interesting but aside from horse all of them are basically cheats to your already easy game. Quiet will kill anyone you want and clear whole base alone, DDog is just walking radar that will show you anything and Walking hear is just your better tank.

Game could be so much better. I had hopes after few 10 missions but after ending i don't think i will go back to it ever. It is basically worse brother of peace walker which by itself is huge shitstain.

I think "that" point in game for me was sneaking suit. Remember all those times in all metal gears where you had carefully sneak to dude to stun/kill/whatever him ? Well if you use sneaking suit which is basically available in first 5 missions you no longer need to adjust your walking speed. IT doesn't matter you can almost run to dude and he will still not hear you.

In MGS4 for example on the boss hard they could literally hear you when you crawl so you had to use that weird snake style crawl but here you can do circles around guy crawling YOLO style and no one will give a fuck.

TLDR:

MGS5-2 Story is shit and unfinished, Best MGS controll wise, Worst MGS gameplay wise, Easiest MGS ever

So if you like MGS games avoid.
If you play games like GTA, Just Cause, Far cry 3/4 you may want to try that.

Metal Gear Solid 5 - 2 "The least solid game"

After putting 24 hours into the game (and I'm still at the beginning), I can safely say that this is a great videogame, and the best MGS game gameplay-wise, but overall, this is the worst MGS game. They basicly fucked up the staple storytelling of the series, which is as much important in MGS as the gameplay.

Gameplay wise ? Hell no. Controll wise yes.

No because MGS4 is trash.

That trash actually is challenging when you try it on The Boss hard where TPP is shit stain in therm of def. Even "Extreme" missions and other shitic is easy as hell compared to earlier MGS games.

Deleted member 7219

The game stops being fun when it tries to force you into combat.

I just did the mission where I found the old guy in his mansion. Skull snipers made sure I had a miserable time getting there. I tried sneaking past but they always managed to spot me when I moved between cover. I ended up just sprinting in a zigzag until I was past them.

Apparently the next mission will have more skulls. Oh joy.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Remember all those times in all metal gears where you had carefully sneak to dude to stun/kill/whatever him ?

No :lol:

In MGS1 and MGS2 your footsteps don't make any sound (except on rare special surfaces) and MGS3 and PW both have suits that eliminate footstep sounds.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The skulls in the Code Talker missions are so easy to sneak past it's funny. You can crawl right behind one of them. None of those fights are that fun. The boss fights mostly do suck.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Does killing the skulls or their zombies count as kills?

The airport mission (Traitors caravan?) was a pain in the ass to stealth. I did it in the end by luring the skulls away and having Quiet tranquilize the zombies around the truck. To hell with doing that again on extreme.

Perkel

Arcane
Does killing the skulls or their zombies count as kills?

The airport mission (Traitors caravan?) was a pain in the ass to stealth. I did it in the end by luring the skulls away and having Quiet tranquilize the zombies around the truck. To hell with doing that again on extreme.

You can't kill them. They will just lie there ready to extract (which at that moment you won't be able to do)

KK1001

Arbiter
The stealth is piss easy. The combat isn't fun. The game lacks any sort of challenge because getting an S rank is a piece of cake and the AI is braindead. A lot of cool gadgets literally requires you to grind and WAIT FOR HOURS. The story and characters are all ass.

It's a puffed up Peace Walker/Clash of Clans/Far Cry that deserves, at best, a 6/10. I'm glad some of you are seeing the light.

The game stops being fun when it tries to force you into combat.

I just did the mission where I found the old guy in his mansion. Skull snipers made sure I had a miserable time getting there. I tried sneaking past but they always managed to spot me when I moved between cover. I ended up just sprinting in a zigzag until I was past them.

Apparently the next mission will have more skulls. Oh joy.
Develop the silenced sniper rifle (I used tranq), go behind the rock at the end of the ridge on the left side of the valley, find the Skulls using their laser sights and pop out for each shot and move back to cover immediately. Took me an eternity, but s-rank is still possible if you manage total stealth afterwards, which should not be too hard with the same rifle and liberal use of active decoys. Does not work in extreme (with my reflexes at least; I barely managed recycled Cloaked in Silence mission, and recycled Code Talker seemed nearly that X4).
Didn't like that battle much myself, or most "bosses" in general.

Unrelated: I have not followed this thread for weeks and just finished the game, and I'm pretty sure it's been said already, but I can't be bothered to catch up now so here's my £0.02. This game really needed more story and less time-wasting and repetition. As for the story that is there,
I'd rather have played Big Boss's descent into darkness than what amounts to an almost unrelated side story. The twist was obvious from the very beginning and it really cheapens the whole game. A few admittedly great moments don't elevate the story to the point it can compete to what could have been the conclusion of the real Big Boss's saga, and arguably there was no space for anything better. If I were a hardcore MGS fan, I'd be pissed.
Remember the old piece of writing advice, "Is this the most interesting period in your main character's life, and if not, why aren't you writing about that?" I think it also applies to selecting which piece of your canon you're writing about.

Still, I had great fun overall, in spite of a long list of annoyances. Great port too, never played a game this good looking at constant 60 FPS (though I'd sacrifice 10 for some antialiasing).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom