Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Meanwhile, are these spin offs worth playing?

Ghost Babel
M.G.AC!D 1/2

Perkel

Arcane
Nah. PW is the only good spinoff, POOPS has some neat story stuff but is mostly rubbish, avoid the rest.

Finished PW.
The ratconed The Boss.

ergo shit game.

mechanically interesting but end game is straight up monster hunter with guns.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
PW sucks tbh. Just read the important story elements about it - though so far MGSV seems to be intentionally twisting them in hilariously grim ways. Ground Zeroes in particular brought certain plot points of PW to some very dark places. I imagine Phantom Pain will go a lot further (though it'll likely be focused moreso on its own story)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://kotaku.com/report-konami-is-treating-its-staff-like-prisoners-1721700073

Here’s a breakdown of the Nikkei piece’s allegations. Some of it we’ve heard before. Some of it is new:

• Kojima Productions, the studio behind the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V (and long famous as a brand of its own), is now simply known as “Number 8 Production Department.” The computers in this section, Nikkei says (and as we reported earlier this year), are allegedly not connected to the internet and are only able to send internal messages.
  • Nikkei reports that employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.
  • That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren’t there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of Konami’s own employees.
  • That most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. (Note: Konami employee emails are typically a few letters followed by a string of numbers, but this random email changing has been going on at Konami for years. A while back, one Konami employee told me this was done to prevent headhunting. Over the years, I have seen developers with company email addresses, but this might have changed recently.)
  • That Konami game developers who aren’t seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company’s fitness clubs or roles at a pachi-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles. In 2013, Asahi News, one of Japan’s largest newspapers, ran an interview with a former Konami staffer who allegedly went from game development to working in Konami’s pachi-slot factory, causing him to experience severe depression.
  • That one former employee, upon announcing on Facebook that they were leaving Konami and had got a new job elsewhere, had their post monitored. Nikkei says remaining Konami staff who “liked” the post were all reshuffled within the company.

Truly, I'm glad Kojima-san is gonna leave this shit company.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/

TPP can now be pre-ordered on Steam, and the PC release date has been brought forward to the console release date, September 1st.

KONAMI Brings PC Release for METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN in Line with September 1st Console Launch

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has announced it will release the PC edition of the eagerly awaited METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN alongside the console iterations on September 1st. Pre-orders are available now via Steam, which will include a copy of its illustrious prologue, METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES, absolutely free.

Originally scheduled to launch on September 15th, KONAMI has responded to calls from PC users and worked toward an earlier release date. The PC edition will now be available for pre-order via Steam – alongside the PlayStation®4, PlayStation®3, XboxOne™ and Xbox 360 editions. Fans who pre-order their PC copies of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN via Steam will also receive a copy of METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES. All Steam customers will receive a collector’s video which reveals behind the scenes footage and a unique documentary, in addition to DLC in the form of a ‘Venom Snake’ emblem and Mother Base Staff.

“We initially did not think it would be possible to get such an epic game out onto PC in time for launch alongside its console counterparts, but all involved have worked diligently to meet the demands of our PC consumers,” commented Tomotada Tashiro, President of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. “Now PC users will be able to explore the vibrant and beautifully-realised locations and set-pieces that elevate METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN beyond all other action titles. We feel confident that Steam users will be satisfied with the contents we will provide for the Steam version."

Finally, METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN also features the dedicated squad-based competitive multiplayer component, METAL GEAR ONLINE. Newly redesigned with the familiar gameplay and aesthetic styling of the acclaimed series, METAL GEAR ONLINE introduces Tactical Team Operations and features a ‘class system’ that more uniquely defines the strengths and abilities of player characters on the battlefield. As a result of the updated timing, console versions of METAL GEAR ONLINE will go live on October 6th, with the PC version set to release in January 2016.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
First MGS in history that actualy looks decent and playable and not total weaboo shit. Might even enjoy it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm fine with the MGO delay since I was planning to focus on the singleplayer game first. Even after completing the story I'll be fucking around in the open world and doing base invasions for a while, I expect.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Damn. Starting to really regret my Bloodborne Box even more since I'm just going to buy the definitive PC version now that there's no delay. Guess it's up to uh... Last Guardian and Platinum's Nier game to justify the stupid thing. Hurp.

Anyways, made a list of known influences on MGSV and other media that may enhance the greatest game of all time. Here it is: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/mgsv-the-phantom-pain-preparation-kit.101870/

There's also Persona 5 if you're into that, and the Bloodborne expansion is on its way.

Too bad there's no physical version of TPP for the PC, though.

MGSVCE_thumb.jpg

It sounds like the original PC two week delay was due to problems with MGO, and then when they realized it wouldn't be ready for the release of the main game they just said fuck it, we'll delay MGO for every platform and do a simultaneous release for the singleplayer.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The ultimate Kojima troll: after completing the Kaz rescue mission, the screen will fade to black and the credits will roll...
TO BE CONTINUED IN

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN: CHAPTER 2

COMING 2016

Caim

Arcane
The ultimate Kojima troll: after completing the Kaz rescue mission, the screen will fade to black and the credits will roll...
TO BE CONTINUED IN

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN: CHAPTER 2

COMING 2016

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
There's also Persona 5 if you're into that, and the Bloodborne expansion is on its way.

Too bad there's no physical version of TPP for the PC, though.

It sounds like the original PC two week delay was due to problems with MGO, and then when they realized it wouldn't be ready for the release of the main game they just said fuck it, we'll delay MGO for every platform and do a simultaneous release for the singleplayer.

I could never get myself to finish Persona 3, and haven't started P4, so I don't see myself buying P5 full price.

The collector's edition of TPP is tempting. I think it's actually already sold out almost everywhere. (it is on amazon at least)

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried GZ again. There might have been a patch since I last played, because it ran much better for me this time. Here are my observations complaints.

The UI is all over the fucking place. It crams all this obvious information on the screen, a la Shitman Abortion's "VISIBLY ARMED" and "NEAR BODY" alerts.

Menus cannot be navigated by mouse, even though the windows cursor is on. Navigating by keyboard alone can be more efficient in many menus, but certainly not the ones in this game.

Similarly in regard to menus, modifying a weapon is a retarded chore. You have to hold down the radial weapon selection menu, then hold down the arrow key corresponding to the weapon you want to modify, or hold down the number key associated with the weapon you want to modify, and then press the silencer and flashlight keys to toggle those functions. Disregard the fact that these two functions have their own keybinds. You still have to stop and hold down buttons to even access them.

Hold R to pick up a corpse, or the weapon that he dropped. This used to be something one could determine in a game by pointing at the desired object to pick up, but now there's just some algorithm that determines what you want to pick up based on what the character stance is and how the camera is angled. If you want to stay on the move, fuck off. Sit down and tap directional keys to nudge Solid Snake in the proper direction to pick up whatever it is that you want to pick up.

Mouse input is terrible. There's a minimum amount that the camera moves no matter how softly one nudges the mouse, so any zoomed observation or aiming is extremely uncomfortable.

Movement controls are laggy for the sake of looking realistic. It's easy to become like a tetherball around a significant but slim object like a ladder, because Solid Snake doesn't take orders, just suggestions when it comes to where he faces and runs.

This is yet another game with cheats enabled by default. Binoculars tag enemies through walls, and enemies seem to remain perfectly visible through walls no matter what. At the first sign of danger, the game enters super slow motion to allow the player to fight the terrible aiming and place a headshot on the alerted enemy.

Afterward, it becomes a regenerating health cover shooter with enemies who stand clueless out in the middle of the road. They eventually calm back down without any significant searching behavior.

Don't be fooled by the sandbox claims. The level design is just as segmented as the rest of the garbage designed to run on old console hardware. Discrete areas are all connected by one or two hallways that limit stealth options and hide away the rest of the level. Other options that would be realistically (and within the game's rules) achievable, such as going over some rocks near the edge of the island to get to a prison camp area, are simply not enabled. The only ways to get in and out of the camp are two paths conveniently surrounded by unclimbable rocks.

So far, I've played about 45 minutes, and I think I'm about halfway or more through this standalone game that was initially released for $30. Everything about it that has managed to interest me has been executed better in Crysis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom