Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Phage If you see a freshly shat out turd lying on the street do you bend over to smell it to see that it stinks? Do you play around with it to see if it's really shit? Or do you just make the very likely assumption that it is shit?
I ....just can't argue with this logic. Smelling a shit and playin a video game are totally the same thing.
I can't help but notice that you left out the second line.

Very clever. ;)
I just quoted the ridiculous part. Sue me.

Alfons

Prophet
Point is that some things, like shitty cutscenes or actual shit, can be taken at face value.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
He thinks the cutscenes are what make MGS games good.

Okay, I'm out. Even I can't handle this level of stupid. You win this time Alfons!

Alfons

Prophet
I think The plot of MGS is shit and it is told through cut scenes, but since you can't use the "you need to play it to understand the great plot" card anymore you fuck off.

:salute:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
He doesn't understand the the aspects of the story that are good are told through the gameplay and meta narrative. He STILL thinks that the emotional payoffs of MGS 2 and 3 are trivialized because earlier in one game there was a sexy biker spy.

laughingsnakes.jpg

This is some next level shit. I wouldn't be surprised if you're actually hideo kojima trying to take us on a ruse cruise because nobody is this stupid.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think The plot of MGS is shit and it is told through cut scenes, but since you can't use the "you need to play it to understand the great plot" card anymore you fuck off.

:salute:
Thing is, some cutscenes taken out of context might seem campy, but playing the game, listening to the ingame conversations make them much more interesting. Because you know the context.

Alfons

Prophet
He doesn't understand the the aspects of the story that are good are told through the gameplay and meta narrative. He STILL thinks that the emotional payoffs of MGS 2 and 3...
And it all falls into place. So apparently the story that is told in the cutscenes is shit. So you actually have to play the game to get the aspects of the story that are good. You should probably skip those 8 hours worth of cutscenes, the good parts are in the meta.

:lol:
The emotional payoffs line fucking killed me. Here you go little fella, I'm sure you'll enjoy the emotional payoffs in this too. It's very popular in the 40-50 housewife demographic. I can't understand a word but the acting seems on par with MGS.

Alfons

Prophet
Thing is, some cutscenes taken out of context might seem campy, but playing the game, listening to the ingame conversations make them much more interesting. Because you know the context.
Taking things out of context is rather difficult when you are being feeding tube fed every minute detail about every single thing and every single person.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That's not what anyone said. What was very clearly explained is the cutscenes, taken out of context, are not what is good about MGS or its plot. It's the total sum of the package. The way things tie into the gameplay itself, the intelligent use of the medium itself - and yes, emotional payoffs are a thing. Payoffs are an important part of almost every story, ever. They are not limited to random straw-man spanish soap operas. Payoffs are one of the many aspects that makes Citizen Kane - as you mentioned before - a very good film. Of course this concept is somehow far beyond your underdeveloped understanding.

But you know what? Fuck it. You know what this boils down to? You're some random manchild who read from numerous sources and communities that MGS is one of the greatest series in gaming. Instead of sitting down and trying the games out, you decided you'd watch a handful of random disjointed cutscenes from different games and base your judgment regarding a series of 8+ extremely different titles based off that.

For some reason that wasn't enough though. You couldn't simply cut yourself off from a decent experience. You saw more and more people celebrating it, and that bothers you. It gets to you deep down. It eats away at you that all these people thoroughly enjoy something that's inaccessible to you . Every day you see this thread getting bumped and people getting hype for what will likely be the greatest game ever made. Not just here, but on practically every meaningfully large general gaming forum on the internet - worldwide.

And that stings because you can't even wrap your head around why people enjoy it. Your mind is so addled and polluted with delusions that you're going to impress people with your 'refined video game tastes' that you can't pull your head out of your ass and just try it out for yourself - or at the very least, just leave the thread related to a game series you've already passed judgment on.

Instead you remain here and sling it out with people who have humiliated you and dumped on you for the past few hours. You've been utterly destroyed over and over yet you keep crawling back for more, like some kind of broken down whore that desperately needs the money to feed her heroine addiction.

This paints a very grim picture for you Alfons and I'm deeply sorry. I don't know if your parents failed you, or if society did, or if you just lack the willpower to think clearly for yourself , but one way or another, you're stuck with this life.

With that in mind, I hearby have to add you to the official list of people every day I wake up and thank God that I'm not.

The list of People I Thank God I Am Not now consists of: Alfons, Chris Chan, Lyric Suite, Ironyuri and Anthony Burch.

Rest well young one. You've gotten your attention. Now I'm actually and truly finished responding to and humoring you.

2443436-big-boss-salute.jpg

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
But you know what? Fuck it. You know what this boils down to? You're some random manchild who read from numerous sources and communities that MGS is one of the greatest series in gaming. Instead of sitting down and trying the games out, you decided you'd watch a handful of random disjointed cutscenes from different games and base your judgment regarding a series of 8+ extremely different titles based off that.
Dude. The fact of the matter is that the games look fucking awful, and at least one of them has twelve hours of movies in it. This is a bad thing. Why would I want to play it?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Dude. The fact of the matter is that the games look fucking awful,

That's not a fact. Unless you mean they look awful to you specifically, which is in turn a subjective opinion.

and at least one of them has twelve hours of movies in it. This is a bad thing. Why would I want to play it?

None of them have 12 hours of movies in it.

The real question is why are kids so insecure about a series they "have no interest in" that they actively seek out threads about it and shitpost?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is this the thread where morons talk about how they think MGS sucks without ever playing it?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, oops, I looked it up again and found out it was only eight. I'm posting here because I developed some interest when I learned that the newest MGS games were coming to PC and figured I would check them out. What I played of the horrible port of Ground Zeroes was not encouraging, what I saw of the TPP gameplay was popamole ass shit, and what I saw of previous games was loads of cutscenes and cringeworthy dialogue.

Plus I get notifications whenever someone replies to this.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Is this the thread where morons talk about how they think MGS sucks without ever playing it?

It's ok Torontrayne, they watched 2 cutscenes, and half a wikipedia article so they know what they're talking about. Disregard the fact that the gameplay portion of these titles is actually fantastic and the story is icing on the cake (icing that is entirely skippable)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Oh, oops, I looked it up again and found out it was only eight. I'm posting here because I developed some interest when I learned that the newest MGS games were coming to PC and figured I would check them out. What I played of the horrible port of Ground Zeroes was not encouraging, what I saw of the TPP gameplay was popamole ass shit, and what I saw of previous games was loads of cutscenes and cringeworthy dialogue.

So you have never played the old MGS games, you have played the extended demo called Ground Zeroes, so you are dissuaded from liking the newest entry in the series? Does that about sum it up?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Disregard the fact that the gameplay portion of these titles is actually fantastic and the story is icing on the cake (icing that is entirely skippable)
Well there is the whole fact that I commented on the gameplay video presented earlier in this thread, because it looked like total shit. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-in-september-15th.81685/page-26#post-4011555

I can understand being skeptical of the latest entry. I'm not convinced with some of the new game mechanics either.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Oh, oops, I looked it up again and found out it was only eight. I'm posting here because I developed some interest when I learned that the newest MGS games were coming to PC and figured I would check them out.

It's been said multiple times in this thread that MGS4 - the game with the large number of cutscenes is easily the worst in the series in many aspects. It was a game in which Kojima literally tried to kill the franchise. This was explained two pages ago actually.

So now it's time to curbstomp what you've said.

What I played of the horrible port of Ground Zeroes was not encouraging,

Ground Zeroes is unanimously agreed to be a fantastic port. It runs at 60 FPS on a wide variety of machines, and it's extremely easy to achieve very high graphics. It's also one of the better looking games of the past few years. A controller is preferable due to the third person nature of the title, but keyboard and mouse is actually extremely functional. So what was wrong with the port again?

what I saw of the TPP gameplay was popamole ass shit

Nice buzzword meme.

What aspect of TPP's gameplay was 'popamole ass shit' ? The closest thing to popamole is the fact that you are free to employ lethal means and raise hell, but that has been an option in every MGS game. In this game the enemies will actually adapt to your methods of killing them in future missions. If you're referring to reflex mode - that is an optional toggle (difficulty mode essentially) that subtracts points if you use. Ultimately you are encouraged to employ stealth.

, and what I saw of previous games was loads of cutscenes and cringeworthy dialogue.

A handful of youtube videos taken out of context and half a wikipedia article. aight nig.

You know you can unsubscribe from the thread, right?

Regardless, it's glaringly obvious that these games simply are not for you, so what is the point in continuously shitposting while most people here are trying to build hype and discuss it?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Disregard the fact that the gameplay portion of these titles is actually fantastic
Let us not go that far

So which MGS games have you actually played and what did you dislike about their gameplay?

I will admit that of the titles I played, Peace Walker was very weak due to its small areas and hindered mechanics to accommodate the PSP.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
None of them. But I've seen MGS 1 and 3 which people seem to rate as the best. They're too arcade-ish, as far as stealth games go they're at the bottom pole

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom