Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Meet 'Lore', The Most Entertaining Kickstarter Project Of All Time

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those of us who follow the Kickstarter thread already know about this one, but fuck, he made it to Forbes :lol: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...entertaining-kickstarter-project-of-all-time/
Meet 'Lore' The Most Entertaining Kickstarter Project Of All Time

I’ve written quite a bit about Kickstarter, and have praised and critiqued many video game crowdfunding projects on the site. But I’ve never come across a Kickstarter project quite so surprising and delightfully awful as “Lore.”

The project’s creator describes the game as “Dark Souls, Diablo II, and Minecraft all in one” and goes on to note:

This is the first time in video gaming history a development team is going to let pubic see and be apart of a game from start to finish. Meaning you see the full progression of the game. I know this may be disheartening to some, game do not look good from the start it takes time. I’m doing my project this way because ill like to rise awareness of what developers go through.this is in hopes this give gamer’s a new respected for the art of making a video game so please back and be apart of gaming history.​

Indeed, it goes on and on like this for some time, spelling mistakes and punctuation errors littering the page like some extended email from a Nigerian prince asking you to back his video game project.

The project includes concept art, such as the “Manandtaur:”

This ferocious piece of concept monster art is accompanied by the cuddly sidekick Grimmy the Gremlin:

When it was pointed out in the comments to the project that said goblin was a packaged Autodesk asset that comes bundled with the Maya software, the project was updated to read:

lol is this was done in maya i was making his animations and i was having a little fun P.S. by the way grimmy came with maya i made my on rig, controls and animations for him and his name​

And finally, in the Risks and and Challenges section at the end:

We understand this is something that has never been done but in 1492 Christopher Columbus went out into the sea and everybody told him he was going to fall off the end of the world but with his risk and passion we now know the earth is round and without his will and guts we would not be where we are today. The point i am trying to make nothing is risk free 16 years ago there was no internet but one man changed that. HEDY LAMARR was a actresses in the 1930′s she came up with guided torpedoes for world war 2 she called and called the US army, government but no one listened because she was beauty and she was a actresses. My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930′s are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus.​

Of course, funding a video game on Kickstarter and letting backers get a nice glimpse of the project as it emerges is something that most certainly has been done before, but never with quite this much bravado.

I won’t update my Rules for Kickstarter piece to include a basic handle on the English language, grammar, punctuation and so forth—if only because I hope against hope that Kickstarter attempts to exert some measure of quality control over future projects.

I mean, this isn’t even the first time Lore was given the Kickstarter treatment. Back in November the same project was shooting for ten times as much funding—a whopping $1.5 million.

Whether it’s a scam or just an example of naivete and hubris mixing in the worst sort of way is harder to determine. All I know is that if this is a scam, they really need to get on the ball. I suspect we will see some very sneaky con jobs in the crowdfunding scene in the next couple of years, but this surely isn’t one of them.

If it’s not a scam, than let me just reiterate some advice: Before you come to Kickstarter with a game, have at least half of it finished. Have screenshots and video footage of the game, and make sure your goals are clearly stated from the beginning. For this particular project, a video would certainly go a long ways toward proving to the world that actual people were behind this project and lived where they said they lived.

Check out Lore on Kickstarter, and don’t miss the comments.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
mandandtaur-e1355774464308.jpg
Prosper! :love:

Repressed Homosexual
This looks like just a trolling attempt.

Also, Forbes looked like they had decent gaming articles, but they're already stooping to Kotaku levels.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh that one, I thought it failed a while ago. Ah, never mind, he mentions at the end the first one that wanted $1.5 million failed. Yeah, that was hilarious.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983201034/lore-lost-voices

In the closing days of 2012, the one-man video game epic Lore generated buzz on a level that I had never experienced. I dove in to the comments section, eager to be a part of this vision and to share my enthusiasm.

I was completely unprepared for what I would find.

A passionate community had risen around this digital amalgam of world myths, and I realized that here, too, the participants were creating their own story, with their own legends, heroes and monsters. This project will attempt to capture the passion and pathos of the Lore project through the comments of its backers, who will be portrayed in a medium universal to all races and cultures: the humble sock puppet.

--------------------------------------------------

The funds raised here will all be put directly to creating the puppets, props and locales required for the film. These puppets will be well beyond the simple one-sock-two-buttons, and each will be hand crafted by me. Once the comments section of Lore has drawn to a close, I will begin making the script and conceptualizing each puppet with their props and background locale. The goal is to make each puppet an honest representation of the backer it represents, and I hope to draw from a large pool of socks. With a cast of well over 80 (as of this writing), this will be a significant task.

Production time of the film itself will be fairly quick, with editing taking most of the time. Upon successful completion of the film, it will be released into the wild, free for everyone to view.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't miss the (alleged) project creator's contribution to the comment section of the Forbes article:

My project is not a joke and some one of the people who commented has twisted my words. I know people who been trying to be on Forbes for years and my little project made it. But i’ll like to say thanks because of you i got free advertising. If you make people think joking are you have a problem with grammar they will do advertising you. Now that i have got my name out there i can show real work. Have you ever seem that Kevin spacey movie The Usual Suspects well you get my point lol. The greatest weapon can have is people under minding them. If a shake were a chameleon it would be a more deadly deadly predator. Thank about that and have a great night you made my work much easier .

I'm fairly sure that this comment is a fake. "If a shake were..." indicates a knowledge of English sentence structure that an imbecile simply shouldn't have, and "chameleon" is not an easy work for a functionally illiterate person to spell. To me, this looks likes a literate person attempting to appear functionally illiterate.

My favorite character so far is Captain Chattercrotch here:

image-195285-fulltrusz.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Someone tell this guy he needs to double his budget because he, and the players, are trolls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom