Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless it's ambiguous or they're nonbinary and prefer they/them/whatever, people who put their preferred pronouns in their twitter bios trigger me something fierce. Shut up, cissies.

So... what's your point? What context does that have here? Is it an assertion that because they agree on some things that certain possibilities are now impossible?

The idea that they don't get along is now based on absolutely nothing other than one awkward moment during a presentation, since it's clear that Avellone defers to Sawyer on system-related matters.

Also it's trollbait for people who wish that Chris "lack of balance is the great destroyer" Avellone was more involved in PoE and Sawyer less.
Well duuhhh. I thought it was obvious that they don't have any problems with eachother. Theat awkward moment in the presentation meant nothing, the drama about that was just usual Codex drama.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Perhaps Sawyer is a 100% bitch and a bro like Avellone would never have been able to comfortably work with such a douche, hence the awkwardness?
Sawyer has no soul.
Scroll down Chris's massive following list and check out that femfreq follow.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Unless it's ambiguous or they're nonbinary and prefer they/them/whatever, people who put their preferred pronouns in their twitter bios trigger me something fierce. Shut up, cissies.

So... what's your point? What context does that have here? Is it an assertion that because they agree on some things that certain possibilities are now impossible?

The idea that they don't get along is now based on absolutely nothing other than one awkward moment during a presentation, since it's clear that Avellone defers to Sawyer on system-related matters.

Also it's trollbait for people who wish that Chris "lack of balance is the great destroyer" Avellone was more involved in PoE and Sawyer less.

Not that I am trying to argue any case, but chris also distanced himself from what was his work in the game.

You will remember when he made a 'magnanamous' statement (crediting other writers) about his character content being cut by 75 percent and that the finished product so little represents his work on it that he should not be credited with the work and he does not consider it his.

At the time I commented that I was sensing undertones there. It was an odd way to put it and the difference between the verbiage he used and rhe verbiage he could have was the subtle message of distancing.

I think that you are intelligent and probably the best around at finding game dev quotes to support your arguments. I also sometimes think you need a slap for trolling and arrogance.

The former I will always respect. The latter might cause people to ignore you. See how that works? All is not black and white.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You will remember when he made a 'magnanamous' statement (crediting other writers) about his character content being cut by 75 percent and that the finished product so little represents his work on it that he should not be credited with the work and he does not consider it his.

At the time I commented that I was sensing undertones there.
While I agree that he'd be reasonably pissed for his stuff being cut, that might not all rest on Sawyer's shoulders, if at all. They have project managers and shit.

Athelas

Arcane

While I agree that he'd be reasonably pissed for his stuff being cut, that might not all rest on Sawyer's shoulders, if at all. They have project managers and shit.
Sawyer was the project manager for PoE (or, project director, as it's more typically called).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

It's Sawyer's project. What underling would cut MCA's stuff without Sawyer giving the OK?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avellone likes to give credit where credit is due, I doubt he cares much at all about anything of his that did or didn't get used in Eternity.

This is a guy who threw out everything Brian and Annie wrote in Alpha Protocol after about two years of development. Geese and ganders. These things happen.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Roguey's right, anyway. I don't see that Avellone cares much about whether stuff he wrote got utilized in Pillars of Eternity or not beyond the annoyance that he had to spend time writing it and that they should have narrowed down the scope of the project *before* he wasted his time when he has so many other things to do.

"Throwing stuff out" is how creative processes at a collaborative level work.

Until proven otherwise, I'm not even convinced Avellone even "wants" to make games like Planescape: Torment or Kotor 2 anymore because when other opportunities arose he deferred to junior writer and designers.

The only project I *know* he was enthusiastic enough for to actively seek out a writing role was FTL, something that is stylistically nothing like the games he made in the past.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Well, if that's his new passion, it wouldn't be a complete disaster. The world could use more emotionally engaging roguelikes.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Procedurally generated dialogue trees
Conversations based on procedurally generated content are already a sight to behold. Dwarf Fortress example:
mxknd0gnwob8.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

As someone has already said.. You must be seriously lacking in mental faculties if your taking this shit seriously.
I don't think anyone here honestly thinks MCA left over Sawyer - it's just funny to talk about.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to add some more drama and point out that Avellone actually left Obsidian's private Steam group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OEI#members
And here's Chris who used to be there http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993590526 (of course I'm a bit annoyed that he keeps his games, chieves, and Steam friends to himself)

This isn't a normal thing. Patrick Mills, Tess Treadwell, and Nathaniel Chapman are still part of the group and they haven't worked there in years (in fact Chapman's the owner). It's a "once you're in you're in for life" thing but Avellone decided to tell 'em all to fuck off.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fargo was on Matt Chat today and of course Matt asked him if he will hire MCA now.
Fargos response "The fact he isn't there [Obs.] any longer doesn't make it harder for us to work together." and then, for a split second, he makes this face: :smug:

M0RBUS

Augur
Nah, I think you're reading too much into his sentence AND his face.
But I do think and hope that MCA is going to inXile and work on the Van Buren thing...

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

As someone has already said.. You must be seriously lacking in mental faculties if your taking this shit seriously.
I don't think anyone here honestly thinks MCA left over Sawyer - it's just funny to talk about.
Probably not the sole reason, but why not? Sawyer seems to have taken the wheel at Obsidian and MCA might not like where the ship is headed.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fargo was on Matt Chat today and of course Matt asked him if he will hire MCA now.
Fargos response "The fact he isn't there [Obs.] any longer doesn't make it harder for us to work together." and then, for a split second, he makes this face: :smug:

MicoSelva come get your brofists

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

MicoSelva come get your brofists

I was just thinking that.. Also love how he answers the question..

"Even if we were this isn't the place to ahem hmmph"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom