Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that interview was packed with juicy information. Feargus is a goldmine.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm very curious about the "politics" of publishers Feargus mentions.

I mean, maybe developers are pitching those dream games that the monocled and un-monocled alike would purchase in a second. So why won't publishers even consider them?

SniperHF

Arcane
If J_C isn't Matt, which one of us is?

We are all Matt.
zrdIl.png

Maybe he can do some follow up interviews with various Kickstarter devs after release. I'd like to see some of the smaller projects with a follow up like Dave Marsh on Shadowgate.

Destroid

Arcane
Maybe that guy from Uber and Planetary Annihilation, since it just released on steam.

EDIT: Is Matt Chat sponsored by yelp.com or something, he keeps tweeting about them.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wait, exploration will be in third-person, but with free camera controls AND random encounters? Like in FAINARU FANTASIE? O.o

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://mattchat.us/?p=805

The Matt Chat Gold Box Special

Only you can get this video into production.

I announced in this week’s episode a project I’ve had incubating for some months now–a lengthy special feature covering my favorite CRPG franchise–the one that got me started in this business. Of course, I’m talking about the Gold Box series. It’s been awhile since I’ve played them, but I have played almost all of them from start to finish on my trusty ol’ Commodore 64. I’ve also recently had the pleasure of interviewing several key folks on their design teams. In short, I love this series, and I think (and from what I’ve gathered from my informal polls of you guys), a feature on them is just the sort of bait I need to grow the show.

You see, this special won’t get made unless (or, hopefully, until!) I reach 25,000 subscribers on YouTube. I need to grow the show for various reasons, but the main one is attracting a steady stream of designers and other professionals to be my guests. The bigger my audience, the more likely I am hear to a big fat “YES!” to my requests to have them on. Matt Chat has its fans, but, sadly, the numbers just aren’t as appealing as they could be.

Maybe that’s just because I suck. However, I’m going to assume it’s also because people who would love my content simply don’t know the show exists. I routinely get emails or comments from folks along these lines: “Wow! I love your interviews. Why have I never heard about this show until now?”

I don’t want to waste money on advertisements. I’m not convinced they work, and, to be quite honest, I just hate ads. I’d much rather do this the old-fashioned way: word-of-mouth!

The way I figure it, if everyone who likes the show would tell a few other like-minded folks about it, I’ll double my audience in no time. You could do this by posting about your favorite episode on Facebook, Twitter, G+, etc. Or you could just (gasp!) actually tell a friend about it in actual conversation or email. Just be to sure let them know it’s not just a one-off video: this is a show with weekly episodes!

I know a lot of you folks are already doing a TON to support the show, and I hate to have to ask to burden you. But this is by far the most effective means I know of growing the show. Thanks, and I hope to get started on this Gold Box special soon!

Subscribe, everybody: https://www.youtube.com/user/blacklily8

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cool, but currently he only has 11k. Asking for more than twice of that to make a series is kind of... ahn... bold.

Also, FFS Matt, make a goddamn trailer for your channel. A TRAILER! Not a 4 minute love declaration to Pools of Radiance and Bard's Tale that doesn't show one fucking interview! :argh:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hey, Crooked Bee, at the end of the interview Matt says he has a Robert Woodhead interview waiting to be uploaded! Among many others.

Patreon backers get to vote which one will be next.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Haha, you can tell that Matt really doesn't want to talk about anime.

tl;dw Woodhead is amused by the Japanese Wizardrys but despite his Japanese connections, isn't particularly interested in them or involved with them - that stage of his life is behind him. He is however a big fan of EVE Online (formerly a member of CSM) and Kerbal Space Program.

Near the end of the interview Matt starts talking to him about his early early work, fiddling with PLATO (and Oubliette...), but they don't get far. He says he hated Andrew Greenberg when he first met him. :P

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Hmmm: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=868792473131545&id=126630270681106

Should I keep or ditch the ale segment?

Thinking here in terms of the future of the show. Is it possible that this "unprofessional" segment (as one viewer put it) is holding back the show?

The only thing that's holding him back is he's a boring personality doing interviews of obscure 80's - 90's video game people. I love what he does, but he needs to understand that what he's doing is niche, and niche only, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't care one way or the other about the beer segment, although I do lean towards having it, since it adds an adult theme to his show and I do like knowing about weird booze from wheveristan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom