Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
His problem is content. Who the fuck wants to watch interviews with obscure game developers?
Yeah, this. He's very valuable to his target audience, but this audience is simply small.
And there's nothing awkward about his interviews and other videos except maybe for the earliest ones. And I never saw him fall apart like Spoony.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://mattchat.us/?p=521#comment-969

DarkUnderlord said:
Your problem is content.

Ray William Johnson got internet famous for making short five minute videos about whatever was funny that day. The brain input required to process that is pretty low. You don’t need any background about Ray or what he’s doing, he’s straight into it and HAHAHA funny dog video.

Now the production itself is great. Setup, even the host (although I too would love to see a hot chick – it’d be a fun experiment) are all fine.

But… You interview obscure developers who made games in the late 80′s and early 90′s.

I have to:
a) Remember the 80′s and 90′s (being older helps);
b) Know the game you’re talking about and;
c) Care enough about the game to know the developer you’re talking to.

Hell, I’ve played some of this shit and half the time I’ve never even heard of the people you’re interviewing.

Back to Ray. I can watch any one of his videos without any prior knowledge. All I have to care about is: Will this be funny?

You however, are targetting an incredibly small niche. As an example: How many people right now are playing GTA V? Find them. Now ask them if they can name any of the developers who worked on it (they won’t be able to). Now interview one of those developers, then see how many of those people playing GTA V care.

If they love the game, they love THE GAME. They will rave about this part or that part. Watching someone elses Let’s Play is a great way to see something that maybe they haven’t tried. Or see someone do something they couldn’t, or just reminisce a bit. Watching a review is a chance to get an idea about the game before they decide whether it’s worth buying themselves.

Watching an interview with a developer talking about his favourite parts, or his life story that led him here or what games influenced him, is mostly really boring…

… unless you’re really into that shit.

TotalBiscuit is internet famous because he does reviews.

The host isn’t the problem because let’s face it, you aren’t featured a lot in most of your videos. Mostly we get game footage and the developer you’re talking to. We rarely see you except as an introduction. Most of your content is game footage playing while a developer’s talking.

My only suggestion is that short of completely changing the show and making funny cat videos, I figure you go to all this effort of getting these old games up and running. Why not actually do a few Let’s Plays or reviews? Show people how you / what you have to do to get the old gems up and running. Review them. And add those videos into the mix. So you’ve got a Let’s Play / review of the game AND videos with the developer.

That way people looking for an old game and maybe wondering whether it’s worth playing can find some footage of it, get an idea of what the game’s like and maybe play it. Then they might care enough to watch the interview with the developer.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mettalica

Maybe felipepepe meant Mattalica :smug:

As for LP I could advice to make something that you are really fond off. Be it something more obscure, or less known, or maybe buggy, it doesn't matter. Just show that you know your kung fu, don't spend too much time in party/character creation and let the gameplay speaks for itself. Try something unorthodox or try braking the mechanics. Edit it and it should give a nice number of views.

Good luck.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, maybe he should talk about the bad newest games, comparing them with the classics, then bash and tear them apart, showing the decline with examples. That would piss off a lot of viewers that would swarm to his comments section.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
he should just do a little less interviews and more games again for starters.

Why won't he review the masterpiece that is Dungeon Keeper?

J_C

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
he should just do a little less interviews and more games again for starters.

Why won't he review the masterpiece that is Dungeon Keeper?

J_C
Hell if I know, I'm not Matt.

DU:
My only suggestion is that short of completely changing the show and making funny cat videos, I figure you go to all this effort of getting these old games up and running. Why not actually do a few Let’s Plays or reviews? Show people how you / what you have to do to get the old gems up and running. Review them. And add those videos into the mix.
I don't think that this suggestion would help anything.

Wizfall

Cipher
I like a lot Matt interviews.
They are top quality, way above anything else on internet (about video game) and you can see a lot of work have been put into.
I also find Matt is a very good interviewer, he leads the interviews very well : good questions, good pacing, clear elocution.

The problem is that you have to be curious to like the interviews because :
- it's much more about the whole video industry than just "game" or gameplay,
- the people interviewed are for the most part not well known.

So if you are not curious and only worry about "game" they are not interesting.
And 99% of the audience only worry about games.
Me i find fascinating the business and "story" side of game development (i have no interest to work in the game industry) and that what the interviews are for 99%.
I don't care too much if the people interviewed are famous or have worked on a game that i know (it's a + though), it's the content that i find awesome.

On the other hand I find Matt Chat let's play/gameplay totally uninteresting.
I strongly suspect Matt to be much more interested by the industry as a whole than games.
To be honest i don't have the feeling at all he is a gamer , he may have been one a long time ago but i would bet he did not enjoy playing game anymore.
Don't mind me at all by the way.

If he wants more views, he should only talk about "modern" games and review "modern" games like everyone does and the way everyone does.
But as i said he is not good at that, he is not a gamer (hard to be good about something you don't really enjoy), that is not what interest him anyway IMO.
Good thing because nobody does what he does and he does it very well :D

Severian Silk

I guess the main reason I don't watch his videos any more is because he's already covered all the games I know. I am just not familiar with many of the games he covers lately.

On the other hand, TotalBiscuit also covers games I've never heard of, but I find him more watchable.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Another retrospective from Matt, this time about Dungeon Keeper. I think this is one of his best, it was enjoyable to listen to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://mattchat.us/?p=535

Matt is being bitter again.

In my upcoming interviews with Glenn Wichman, we talk about this phenomenon in a roundabout fashion. He’s one of the designers of Rogue, as you probably knew (Nerrdd!). Now he works at Zynga, where he’s apparently surrounded by a new breed of -ahem- game designer who learned the trade sitting in a college classroom.

Glenn had actually quit listing Rogue on his resume because nobody remembered it, or, if they did, didn’t think it was important. Now he’s getting the occasional moon-eyed kids coming into his office, saying “You mean you’re the guy who did Rogue? Wow! We read about that in school!” So Glenn’s gone back to listing Rogue on his resume. Good for him. I’ve gone back to scratching really hard at imaginary insects living just under my scalp.

I suspect one day soon someone much too cool to be addressing me will approach, copy of book in hand, and ask me to make it out to his teenage son who loves Matt Chat and all the great classic CRPGs he’s been playing after hearing about them on the show. “Oh, man, he loves Stonekeep!” Er, okay. The thing is, I know that if such a moment ever comes, I should SEIZE IT. Seize it with both hands and shake it hard until something comes out of it. Because, like it or not, where there’s admiration and respect to be had, Mr. Kewl Dawg will smell it. And before you get to second base with that chick in the I love nerds shirt, he’s beaten you to it, somehow nerdier than you ever dreamed of being (and sooo cute!).

I will smite you, Mr. Kewl Dawg. I, with my army of ferocious dungeon rats, nuclear punks, and a rather excellent drinking horn. AND NO, you cannot drink my Belgian ale. Stick with your Mike’s Hard Lemonade! Goddamnit. Mr. Kewl Dawg, get off my leg!

Where is my drinking horn….Mr. Kewl Dawg! You bastard!

:lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sexy girl who was talking to you about Ultima is now talking to cooler nerd about Zelda.
:lol:

Eh, what can I say, fads come and go. The girl with the "I Love Nerds" t-shirt is probably just surfing the wave of whatever people say it is cool now, just like Mr. Kewl Dawg. Wanting them to like you because they are "in your hobby" is as futile as if the guy from Chocolate Rain thinking he will get all the womens, because they all saw him on youtube geocities embedded .swf.

It's a fad, a decade from now it will be gone. You can:

A) Ignore it;
B) Profit from it;
C) Try to profit from it and alienate your old fans, without ever reaching the kewl kids.

Just like 3D games in the late 90's, for a gaming parallel.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Glenn Wichman the great grandfather of roguelikes working at Zynga is depressing.

Where is my drinking horn….Mr. Kewl Dawg! You bastard!
They sell drinking horns to yuppies and hipsters at mall stores now... now that's also ruined:
6GwveAo.png

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Another retrospective from Matt, this time about Dungeon Keeper. I think this is one of his best, it was enjoyable to listen to.

I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT.

FINALLY.

I ONLY ASKED 40 TIMES.

THANK YOU MATT

ULTIMATE:incline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Matt is setting up a subscription-based crowdfunding account at Patreon: http://mattchat.us/?p=570

Why Patreon?

Patreon page. Patreon is still new enough to elicit more head scratching than enthusiasm at this point, but I think once you understand it, you’ll agree that it’s a better way to support folks like me than PayPal or Kickstarter. Here are my thoughts on it.

The main reason I decided to go for Patreon was the payment structure. The problem with PayPal is that you’re limited to either paying a subscription (so much per week, month, etc.) or a one-time payment. The subscriptions are great, of course, but it puts me in a position of feeling guilty if I have to take some time off. If there’s no new episode that week, you just paid for nothing. I understand that most of you folks would probably say–”So what, Matt? Enjoy!” But I still don’t feel right about it.

Patreon, however, allows you to pay only when I release new content that I specifically label as “paid.” This maintains the pressure on me to continue to release new episodes (if I don’t–no money!), but I don’t have the dread of pissing off a subscriber if I don’t get it done on schedule.

The one-time payments from Paypal are probably the least offensive option for most people. Unfortunately, almost everyone who does that never donates again. I guess the mindset is, “I paid him $50, that’s enough for here to eternity!” I always appreciate, of course, these awesome gifts, but they simply aren’t a sustainable way to produce the show. I’d prefer, actually, for that person to do the $1 or $5 per episode deal instead; that way, I’d have a steady flow of income for quite awhile, and hopefully by the time I’d collected the $50, the person would simply let it continue. At any rate, I’d have a much better way to plan my spending and make sure I don’t blow my budget.

Another great thing about Patreon is they take a much smaller cut than Paypal. If you give me a $1 through Paypal, I usually get sixty-seven cents. Paypal takes out a full thirty-three cents (33%) for their fees! Patreon, on the other hand, only takes out 8%. I don’t know anyone who wants to support Paypal; you just want to support the content creator. So I think this fact alone is enough reason for you to switch to Patreon!

Finally, Patreon is simply a more fun way to handle all this. There’s more of a community feeling to the site, like Kickstarter. You can see all the other patrons and interact with everyone on the pages. Thus, you can let others know you’re a true supporter, though you can also remain anonymous if you prefer. I can also set up funding goals and rewards for folks. In short, I just don’t see a downside.

So, if you’re currently supporting me through PayPal, consider switching over to Patreon. It won’t cost you anything extra, and both of us will get better benefits. If you’re not currently supporting me, now’s a good chance to climb aboard. For only a buck per show, you’ll be supporting a rather excellent show and its humble, only slightly nutty producer!

Last edited:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I don't even know who that guy is, so i watched a video. I don't like that guy at all.

Anyway i think Matt should focus again on game instead of developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom