Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Matt Chat 395: Interview with Leonard Boyarsky

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Fallout; Interplay; Leonard Boyarsky; Matt Barton; Stonekeep

It's been nearly a year since Matt Barton interviewed somebody of interest to the Codex. Back in the day, there wasn't a month where one of his videos wasn't on our front page, but it seems like ran out of famous RPG developers to interview at some point. Luckily, recent developments in the industry have led to new interview opportunities. Namely, the departure of RPG demigod Leonard Boyarsky from Blizzard and the recent unveiling of his hopefully soon to be announced secret project at Obsidian. The first episode of Matt's interview with Leonard starts with some followup questions about his SINFO talk from last year. Topics of discussion include Leonard's educational background as an artist, some of the challenges he faced designing the art for Fallout, and his experience working on the beleaguered Stonekeep.

According to Leonard, he was fortunate to have found himself working in roles, first as a junior artist on Stonekeep with few responsibilities and later on Tim Cain's Fallout team, that insulated him from the turmoil that was rampant in Interplay in those days. As such, he has few horror stories to share about his experiences there, although perhaps that will change when Matt gets around to asking about the circumstances that led to his departure from Interplay.

• Brofist x 10
    • incline x 4
    • Excited! x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Just one question: Is the poster with the Maia girl from PoE2 or a new project?

^ Top  
  3. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Come to think of it, somebody should suggest to Matt to get into contact with Monty Markland. That could make for a juicy interview! :M

• Excited! Excited! x 6
    • incline incline x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Interesting. Looking forward to part 2!.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Parrots:
    If you donate more than $100 (aggregate) you get a portion of Matt's everlasting soul.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lahey Cipher Patron

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Fargo is an executive producer of Matt Chat so I doubt that would happen. Besides, Barton's interviews with Sirotek/Romero/Heineman indicate a non-confrontational demeanour who -- though fascinated by and thirsty for drama -- is unwilling and/or unable to delve deeply into such matters, content with an interviewee's account presented without challenge. The show's jovial tone and a desire to attract future guests are likely contributing factors as well.

Anyways, good show. I hope Indiana propels Boyarsky to face-of-the-company status because he's more likeable than Soyer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    Once again, organized by yours truly...you can hear the Lars Diggfinger shoutout in the beginning +M

Great interview so far, should be 2-3 parts in total. Let's see what he says about the new project, if anything at all.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Brofist x 10
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Goldfist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What?

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    It means he donates a lot to Matt's Patreon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Ah, for a minute I thought Matt turned this into some serious business in which he has an executive producer.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Gud interview. I am looking forward to parts two and three.

It is also nice to see an actual interview with Mr. Boyarsky and not just another retrospective on Fallout. Thanks, Matt. :salute: :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    The Sinfo talk is also great, as he goes into unprecedented detail both on Arcanum and Bloodlines.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :salute:

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    codex should set up a patreon to donate to Matt's patreon:takemyjewgold:

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    How far do you guys think we’d have to go to get Leonard or Tim to blab about the new game? On a scale of misdemeanor to felony.

^ Top  
  17. Lahey Cipher Patron

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    It won't happen until PoE 2 will be released. Hopefully their game will be less shitty than this Baldur's Gate clone bu after their recent talking that they need to dumb games down I'm not optimistic.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    Part 2

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  21. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    Vault Dweller in Part 1, Leonard mentions "making games is the ultimate game" in that you have to meta-game and figure out how to tailor an experience for the player etc.
    Any thoughts?

^ Top  
  22. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I can't really comment as it's not very clear on what exactly he meant by that. Obviously, you have to chart all possible ways and choices and think of what the player would want to do here but that's too obvious, so I assume he meant something else.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. selkin Educated

selkin
    Parrots:
    For me as long as the map is open like in F1&F2 being a BG clone is not a bad trade off.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. selkin Educated

selkin
    Parrots:
    In part 1 at 11:00 Boyarsky mentions the dirty gritty style of Fallout. Actually this is my main issue with almost every game since Fallout. I miss this and I really REALLY appreciate it. This is one of the reasons why Fallout is one of its kind.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)