Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Heroes

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Lol wtf, Deadpool is voiced by Nolan fucking North according to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2967308/fullcredits/

Oh, and of course Solid Snake is in it.

Oh and Jennifer Hale.

It looks like the voice cast of SWTOR. Except this time Blum actually gets to voice a player character. Well, more than "a" character.

Also both generations of Spidey voice actors are in it.

I believe Coulson voiced Coulson?

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't know, the character specific items sound terrible and incredibly lazy.
My complain about the game is the effect of skills feel floaty? When hulk smashes the ground creating shockwaves the enemy still stands there and firing at me.
Yep. Melee characters in particular feel awful. I was going to unlock Wolverine as my 2nd character but after trying him out I NOPEd the fuck out.

Damnit, why isn't Daredevil in there?
Probably because he had his own event not that long ago (when the TV series premiered).

Lhynn

Arcane
A few melees feel just fine, Cap. murica is one of them, spidey is another, and moon knight is mostly fine, tho some of his sound effects are not weighty enough.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can get Doctor Strange for free today, though to actually play him you need 3 hands.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You can get Doctor Strange for free today, though to actually play him you need 3 hands.
Which won't be a problem after the big update, though.

I think they put, or they're about to put, a bunch of the revised characters on TC.

Lhynn

Arcane
I think they put, or they're about to put, a bunch of the revised characters on TC.
Indeed, completely revamped Dr Strange, and youll be able to play him on a controller. :negative: Design choices made in the last couple years have aimed to consolize the game, its so stupid.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Indeed, completely revamped Dr Strange, and youll be able to play him on a controller. :negative: Design choices made in the last couple years have aimed to consolize the game, its so stupid.

The game was never meant to use multiple hotbars actively. The devs never budged from this, never gave the opportunity to use Shift/Ctrl/Alt/etc+ modifiers in order to easily access all hotbars simultaneously. It took players to work around the system by using the keybind text configs,

The game also uses more active abilities than Diablo 2. Diablo 2 did not have even have hotbars. It had hot*keys* as in being able to re-assign the skill tied to your left or right mouse buttons. Incidentally, Marvel Heroes has this feature, albeit with a limit of 6 hot*keys*.

Now, I will grant you that having a cooldown system (outside of sigs) annoyingly brings the game towards MMO-dom. I don't think even D3 had that - free to use whichever ability you want, with mana/etc. management being the priority.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Besides, the existing console Marvel action-RPGs are pretty good, starting from X-Men Legends until Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Got on the test center. For Dr. Strange, the only active skill taken away is Rings of Raggador. All the other spells are there.

The bigger difference is that all the passive skills (e.g. put points in this skill to gain +X stats, specializations) have been moved over to a "talent tree" mechanic for better or worse. Oh, and they removed the "Travel Power" from the skill tree. And the basic dash/teleport everybody gets at start. I guess they were just anal about cleaning things up.

Oooo it seems like the talent system is an expanded version of the specializations some characters get.

Edit: I'm worried about some of the new mechanics though. A GW2-esque cooldown on the basic dash. Adding a 1 second charge before your Travel Power activates. While achieves its intentions (that they want people to have people rely more-so on basic movement, which requires planning ahead because basic movement is of course slow, that being able to unlimitedly dash meant it was too easy to reposition)...

The problem is that it's less action-y. Dodging via dash is still there, but you only get a few "charges" (each "charge" lets you perform one dash) and then you have to wait for those charges to regenerate. The problem here is that you end up trying to keep track of how many charges you have left, etc. so that the basic dash becomes some sort of resource mechanic rather than a simple limitation of over-use.

Travel power requiring charging time obviously slows things down in an awkward way. I think a better method of preventing using Travel Powers in combat is simply to follow the City of Heroes model - in that your Travel Power speed is greatly decreased when you're in combat. In fact, the only advantage one can get from a City of Heroes travel power is stuff like being able to hover if you can fly.

Edit 2: A lot of backlash to the Dashing and Travel Power changes. Basically along the lines of my thoughts above. People have, hours ago, brought up the idea of Travel Powers only being limited while in combat. Devs will either acquiesce or lose a looot of players.

I'm still pretty okay with the Talent/Trait system after perusing more. It really feels like they added the Specialization system to everyone, and that it allows for more micromanagement (or "micro-customization"?) in that each skill can be separately "Specialized" rather than having a Specialization affecting a bucket of skills at once. I can't say it's better or worse - it works fine just as Specializations work right now.

Edit 3: Nevermind, the Rings of Raggador are still there, except moved over to the Talent Tree block and activates differently than on live.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I actually started using the travel power instead of the dashes because its faster to use the travel power than to use two dashes in a row.
90% of the time you are in combat. In patrol i dont want to stop and fight against every fucking spawn.

The idea of the charges is what skyforge does, it limits the fun. I agree that positioning is a joke on marvel heroes, but its simply not that kind of game, modifying how dashes work means they have to redo every other mechanic and enemy/encounter in the game. Adapt it to be a slower game with a lot bigger rewards due to time consumed to get to the end. Not to mention its highly incompatible with patrols.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I actually started using the travel power instead of the dashes because its faster to use the travel power than to use two dashes in a row.
90% of the time you are in combat. In patrol i dont want to stop and fight against every fucking spawn.

The idea of the charges is what skyforge does, it limits the fun. I agree that positioning is a joke on marvel heroes, but its simply not that kind of game, modifying how dashes work means they have to redo every other mechanic and enemy/encounter in the game. Adapt it to be a slower game with a lot bigger rewards due to time consumed to get to the end. Not to mention its highly incompatible with patrols.
The problem is that right now it literally there is a 1 second charge up time before your travel power activates. It's very obnoxious. Maybe it will feel less noticeable at 0.5seconds, or 0.25s.

Still, the movement and dash change proposals are gonna have to be scrapped or, at the most, reformed. On the TC forums it's like.. 70% criticism against these changes, 10% loudmouths who say that they're gonna quit the game, 10% who prefer the changes, and 10% who have no preference and would be fine with respecting the majority who the changes bother.

Also these intentions are the dev's intentions, not mine. They believe the game needs to be more based on positioning. Incidentally I did come across a suggestion that rewards could be increased to balance out the slowing down.

---

Another list of heroes have been added to the TC. I checked out Nova real quick it, it's like they did a new review for him. He has two new skills, for one (I believe one seems like Cap. Marvel's Photonic Wave, the second being a Iron-Fist-sig-like punch.. well, its placeholder is that Iron Fist sig icon with half of it talking about chi... ) but the big thing is that he doesn't seem reliant on active Pulsar use anymore - or else have made it less clunky. Talents that allow Pulsars to somewhat automatically generate and bind to enemies, detonation of Pulsars if you're close to them, etc. For Nova players, this is a godsend because every ability on live gets bonuses from detonating Pulsars. Well, now, you can play a "Pulsar-less" build where you have weaker Pulsars generate every 5 seconds. If you're a melee character, those Pulsars could just go poof right when they generate if you have the "Detonation when nearby Pulsars" talent. Actually, I feel like you can basically use that talent to make an active ability Pulsar into a 'melee ability' as it'd spawn and then detonate instantaneously without the clunk filler of having to using another active ability to detonate the Pulsar.

However... Nova is a movement character, which makes limited Dashes rather... limiting.

Also, Dr. Doom has a talent that makes Unthinkable follow enemies :lol::lol: Also, there's a talent that removes power/magic cost from Gauntlet and Pierce the Veil - probably because Conjured Barrage looks like shiat. And maybe they're trying to make a melee Doom work.

Another trend I've noticed is a shift towards using Basic Powers as the main filler instead of Spender Powers. Some have lost their main Spenders, others like Doom have had their Spenders (e.g. Pierce the Veil) possibly become spender-less fillers. At the same time they have made Basic Powers more powerful.

Besides the movement and dash stuff. Haven't noticed any other complaints except for discussion on balance., then bugs and what-not. The Talent Tree system seems to be well-liked, but a certain majority of specific talent choices need to be reworked.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why do i get the feeling MK is going to get horribly fucked.
I'm not even sure what the fuck is happening to him in the comics right now..
In comics? hes basically going through a phase. Lemire wants to give us a definite answer on marcs state of mind before he has him do street level vigilantism shit. So what we are getting is a trip, all that mk was in terms of craaazy is getting explored.

In marvel heroes hes a no cooldown physical ranged melee hybrid with brutal single target and great tanking with added risk = reward mechanics. He is just plain fun to play, because you aim to be at 40% or less of hp and 5% or less of mp at all times to maximize dps. For that to work you need fast movement, arguably more than any other hero.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Woo BOGO costumes and heroes along with 50% off teamups. Using G's I bought when I had a 50% off coupon lol. I don't think I'll get any characters though, I already unlocked most of the characters I like. Iron Fist, Nova, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Spidey, Daredevil. Some others I got from eternity splinter random boxes. I could make an exception for a character with really good gameplay (which means unlike the majority of damage layer/dot characters). I heard Captain America has really smooth melee gameplay. Probably won't get a costume either, BOGO with the free one being random, it's almost 100% likely the random one will be useless. So I might grab a teamup or a few.

Seems like ~80% hate the changes to travel and dash and the 8 skill hotbar limitation. The game will tank and burn if the changes go through. While for an ARPG, 8 skills is plenty.. Marvel Heroes' distribution of skills makes more than 8 slots necessary. I'd really want a UI that shows all 3 (or option of 2 or 3 hotbars) so it's easier to keep track of cooldowns.

Sykar

Arcane
This new big update stinks of Diablo 3 levels of retardation. Worse all the little Gazdrones lap it up like the retards that they are. Too bad the forum has thought police levels of 1984 proportions so you cannot even be slightly rude to people when they spout the usual retathoric.
I got literally a warning for telling someone that his argument was stupid. Reason? Don't be rude! Seriously?

Typical Gazderpdrone:
"Hoorayz we gätz moar builtz daversity with only 7 powahz to chooze naows!"
Oh really so we have "the most diversity" with just one power to chose from the power pool, right retard? /facepalm

The dumbing down is so stupid that teleport powers are now the same as dash powers, just that you pop in and out of existence. Even this is celebrated. Dumbfucks, all of them.

Woo BOGO costumes and heroes along with 50% off teamups. Using G's I bought when I had a 50% off coupon lol. I don't think I'll get any characters though, I already unlocked most of the characters I like. Iron Fist, Nova, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Spidey, Daredevil. Some others I got from eternity splinter random boxes. I could make an exception for a character with really good gameplay (which means unlike the majority of damage layer/dot characters). I heard Captain America has really smooth melee gameplay. Probably won't get a costume either, BOGO with the free one being random, it's almost 100% likely the random one will be useless. So I might grab a teamup or a few.

Seems like ~80% hate the changes to travel and dash and the 8 skill hotbar limitation. The game will tank and burn if the changes go through. While for an ARPG, 8 skills is plenty.. Marvel Heroes' distribution of skills makes more than 8 slots necessary. I'd really want a UI that shows all 3 (or option of 2 or 3 hotbars) so it's easier to keep track of cooldowns.

All of my hero builds are either castrated or utterly destroyed now (Triple Sig Doom, Astral Legion/Incantaion hybrid Strange, etc.) thanks to the idiotic change to 8 powers only, which realistically is only 7 powers since the dash power is mandatory for all builds since the incorporated the CC remover into them as well dumbing down player choice and flexibility during gameplay even further.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh wow, what a shame, had high hopes for the update. Guess thats that.

Sykar

Arcane
Seriously though, you can chose only 7 abilities from the power pool just like D3. Dash powers and CC breakers were merged into one and dashes have now 3 regenerating charges. Most talents are basically just CD reduction/damage increase for the most part with some changing a power a bit like Human Torches Firewall becoming a "Fire Wave" even though it is just a forward moving Firewall.

And I am not joking when I say that teleports behave now exactly like dash powers. Also travel powers now have a 2 second wind-up time before you can move forward.
All in the name of "streamlining" when it is just dumbing down for consoletards.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
This new big update stinks of Diablo 3 levels of retardation. Worse all the little Gazdrones lap it up like the retards that they are. Too bad the forum has thought police levels of 1984 proportions so you cannot even be slightly rude to people when they spout the usual retathoric.
I got literally a warning for telling someone that his argument was stupid. Reason? Don't be rude! Seriously?

Typical Gazderpdrone:
"Hoorayz we gätz moar builtz daversity with only 7 powahz to chooze naows!"
Oh really so we have "the most diversity" with just one power to chose from the power pool, right retard? /facepalm

The dumbing down is so stupid that teleport powers are now the same as dash powers, just that you pop in and out of existence. Even this is celebrated. Dumbfucks, all of them.

All of my hero builds are either castrated or utterly destroyed now (Triple Sig Doom, Astral Legion/Incantaion hybrid Strange, etc.) thanks to the idiotic change to 8 powers only, which realistically is only 7 powers since the dash power is mandatory for all builds since the incorporated the CC remover into them as well dumbing down player choice and flexibility during gameplay even further.
Oh wow, what a shame, had high hopes for the update. Guess thats that.
The update isn't nearly near finalize, though. Right now it's going through major iterations on the Test Center, with a new iteration every 1 (2?) weeks off of feedback.

And the update I believe aint' coming for at least one month, I'm thinking 2-3 months. And during this time, you should see the vehemence of players on the movement/dash/teleport skills (I agree with you on this topic and pretty much all MH players on the OFFICIAL forums agree with you).

I'm going to wait and see. I think it's definitely important in the dev's plans and has been for a while. But the massed pissed off-ness is in a way causing a stalemate. In the past few years MH has only been getting better (I mean, mostly because of thorough character updates/renovations), I've yet to see a major blunder as ignoring 100% of feedback.

IMO there are proper ways of doing it. If you're going to change it to less powers slotted, then you gotta modify the powers so that they work in that format. Triple Sig? They could merge that in to a single skill or something, take less spots on the hotbar. etc.

Or I guess I'm fine with ~10 slots on a hotbar. With, dashes (and sigs too?) on optional keys.

---

Granted, I approach Marvel Heroes like a console ARPG/hack&slash like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Gerrard

Arcane
What are you comparing it to when complaining about having "only" 8 powers? Path of Exile where most builds only use 1 skill for attack and 1 for movement? Diablo 2?

Lhynn

Arcane
usually ARPGs dont have much in the way of options, would kill to be able to slot one more power tho.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have a friend who has been playing this game for years causally and he dropped the game in less then 2 hours after trying the update.
Are the devs trying to win the "Best award for studio sabotaging itself"or something?

Lhynn

Arcane
Gameplay changed completely, its more brainless now. get out of the red area and spam cooldowns until enemy drops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom