Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making good money in AoD

So after getting harangued by money issues, any tips for getting moar jewgold?

For example, is it worth it for a fighter with craft skills to buy/loot and then deconstruct crap loot, use it to craft something and sell? Or is it better to simply sell the crap loot?
Do I need trading skills to get profit from that?

What about alchemy? Can it be profitable without trading?

Mozg

Arcane
I think meltdown crafting just about breaks even at 4 craft/1 trading (assuming what you melt wasn't smithed up). And saves inventory space. Buying raw ingots to make stuff is profitable too. At 6+ you can melt everything and make money if you have the patience.

I never tried to make money with alchemy.

I always end up with excessive money pretty early in Maadoran with a combat character so I don't really bother.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Generally speaking a couple of points in trading are a decent investment if you are running into money issues. Just 2 points double the amount of money you get when vendoring crap.
Alchemy is a good way if you don't use the products and just sell them.
I usually don't have any money issues come around midgame (the later part of Maadoran, Ganezzar etc.), leaving Teron without much cash can be problematic though. I always persuaded the bandits with the hostage to negotiate and asked Dellar for the money. I then either ran away with it by joining the aurelians at the mine or just killed the bandits after I got the ransom. Either way you get to keep the cash with absolutely no ramifications.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I ran into sort of an issue that a guy with high trading doesn't have any loot to sell cause he doesn't kill people a lot, while a guy who kills a lot probably wouldn't invest much in trading anyway or rather just decompose stuff and make his own equipment.

With 1 trading my fighter/Boatmen ended up with 4k spare gold in the end and nothing to buy.

I am playing loremaster/Trader now and have no money to pay off various random thugs (like at the Arch and in the Slums I can't find other options but pay 1000 gold so 2000 gold needed now).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You're certainly right with combat-heavy characters having little issue with money. They won't have to buy a lot of stuff that you have to since they can just fight their way through, and have more loot to sell too.

The arch won't be "important" for a while anyway, Hermon and his goons are quite the hassle though (even for a combat character I might add). A loremaster has it even harder since he will want to buy all power tubes that are available to buy, which is another 1.5k spent at Harrans Pass and 1-1.5k in the market district depending on your trading skill.

Alchemy has been mentioned a couple of times and it really is a good money maker. The skill isn't a complete waste either, you will run into a couple of alchemy checks in non-combat routes.
Saross library with decent enough streetwise and alchemy becomes so much easier as a whole if you cannot kill the prospector yourself. Also saves you having to buy the air valve from the curio guy, that asshole got enough of our hard earned cash already.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Whut!?

Just kill everything and loot their corpses. Never ran into money troubles as a fighter o.O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom