Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP Warlock of Firetop Mountain (NWN1)

dagorkan

Arbiter
I was initially going to do a series of old-school games, starting with Temple of Asphai and Akalabeth, then I realized they suck and that nobody really cares about those games.

Instead I'm going to do something that I consider even more old-school...

7b6acdf6.jpg

the back cover said:
Deep in the caverns beneath Firetop Mountain lies an untold wealth of treasure, guarded by a powerful Warlock -- or so the rumour goes. Several adventurers like yourself have set off for Firetop Mountain in search of the Warlock's hoard. None has ever returned. Do YOU dare follow them?

Your quest is to find the Warlock's treasure, hidden deep within a dungeon populated with a multitude of terrifying monsters. You will need courage, determination and a fair amount of luck if you are to survive all the traps and battles, and reach your goal -- the innermost chambers of the Warlock's domain.

Part story, part game, this is a book with a difference -- one in which you become the hero! A pencil and an eraser are all you need to make your journey. YOU decide which route to take, which creatures to fight and which dangers to risk.
Epic!

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain? The first fantasy themed 'rpg'-type game I ever played. Not a computer game, but not really so much different than a CPRG. This is the first Fighting Fantasy game ever released in 1982 and it has all the dungeoneering, defeat an evil wizard, his silly goblin minions and illogically placed 'monster rooms' that epitomized RPGs.

It's for Neverwinter Nights 1 and I've had it on my computer for a while although I never actually completed it (I died three quarters of the way through and didn't restart) and that was over a year ago. Since I also know that there are several paths through the game from the book this will probably be mostly new to me too.

01.jpg

Obligatory load screen

02.jpg

Selecting the module... I reinstalled NWN specially for this. The readme doesn't say much, but here's a little more

readme said:
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Ported to NWN by Andre Monserrat
drey@dreynet.com
www.dreynet.com

Recommended PC Level: 5-10 for a single PC, 3-6 for 2-3 PCs.

This module is based on the Fighting Fantasy book of the same name. Fighting Fantasy books were like Choose-Your-Own-Adventures, but with dice and other RPG elements. I tried to preserve as much of the original story as possible. I have added and embellished several areas, added dialogue and descriptions.

Important notes:
1. A major tension in the book was that gold was hard to come by. The only way to replicate this element is to strip ALL gold from PCs entering the game. The economics system is different in this module, so gold is worth a lot more.

2. Sound is very important. It provides clues as to what may be behind a door!

3. Because the only quest is to defeat the Warlock Zagor and take his treasure, the journal is used more like an internal monologue that allows the story to unfold rather than a repository for clues and outstanding tasks. Be sure to read the journal when you first load the module!

4. Not everything that looks interesting is useful and not all ordinary-looking items are useless!

5. The PC may only rest in designated areas! Look for the "This looks like a good place to rest." messages!

6. This is a solo adventure, but more than one PC may play. Understand that the journal entries may not make as much sense and some areas may behave strangely.

7. I didn't want to delay the release of version 1.0 waiting to see if someone would happen to make a crocodile, sandworm or piranha model. If these models do appear at some point in the future, I'll add them to an update.

04.jpg

Here is my starting character. I have just chosen the race (Human), Gender (Male), and a generic warrior portrait so Class, Alignment and Skills need to be chosen.

I am thinking of a neutral Fighter, taking a couple of dual-classes in Rogue with my four level-ups before I enter the dungeon. Fighting is important but so are dungeoneering skills like detecting traps, lock picking and I know that the ability to sneak is a major module in this module.

Otherwise I could go for Barbarian. They get more skill points and have some useful special abilities, possibly making the Rogue dual class unnecessary, and heavy armor/specialized weapons are not going to play a big part here.

Or... something else. A pure Rogue or a Paladin/Cleric perhaps, although Clerics/Paladins are not really a part of this setting.

Since I'm not sure and it's an LP give me your opinions and I'll decide.

Also, if you have any ideas for skill choices or general long-term strategic stuff, post it now.

edit:
Anyone know how to make the text bigger in NWN1? I can barely read the screenshots at that resolution, but I can't make them bigger without breaking people's browser scrolling.

edit2:
It's better if I reduce resolution to 1024x, there is less black space around the character interface box.

RuySan

Augur
Too bad. But for the sake of controversy, there's no way this is the best ff book. City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon for me

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom