Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not yet. But by picking A for the first choice in the last update, you'll be noticing a few more details to spiritual-related stuff from now on. You can't identify which shrine it is from just by the pattern, but you will know that the patterns are specific to the shrine, for example. Of course, you guys already knew that, but now the character knows as well.

Rex Feral

Prophet
All this meta building, choosing all skills possible for our character is gonna screw us up big time at one point in the future.

Anyway, for our choice now, I'll go B>A, since I want to tell them everything, but I don't want Uehara to go rampant again and transform into some ghost because of that charm.

Think about it. First time she died, it was nearby one of the black sacks. After that when we inspected one of those sacks, we found a charm exactly like hers on it. At the moment I can't not associate these charms to Uehara's dissapearences or deaths.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Think about it.
Very well, let's think about it.

Even if this is an amulet of the same design as hers - which is yet unproven (it makes sense for the family amulet to be discovered in the building with a pool, since we assume the pool ghost to be Uehara's relative, and there was a letter from a girl in love indicating the locker, but why would it be here in the courtyard?) - what do we know about these amulets?

They are highly potent, and are sought after by our enemy, likely because they can oppose (ward off, protect from, etc) the Witch or whatever destroyed them at the end of the 3rd chapter. We don't know what they are and how you use them, but the old man and Uehara do.

I was under a strong impression that Uehara made it through the third night - the old man spoke about her as if she was still alive:
“Y-yes!” Taketatsu – the man that kidnapped Mitsuki – hurries over to you and begins his search. He seems loathe to even touch you, though he performs his task quickly while you are still incapacitated by the pain. “N-nothing,” he mutters after a while. “There’s… he’s not carrying what you want.”

The old man nods. “It is with the other girl, then.”
I mean, if Uehara was dead and they knew it, there would be no uncertainty, they could have just checked the corpse. It means that she was the only one unaccounted for among the 13 or so people after we fell to the old man's trick.

That one night Uehara died, she had only her own amulet. The night she had both, she - presumably - survived. At least she felt confident enough to run off alone after she got it.

So on one hand, revealing it and giving it to her risks her running away again. On the other, not revealing it to her may risk her death. Pick your poison.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
B - let's see what they think about this, but if Uehara happens to run off with the charm we won't gain much information out of that, unless we somehow manage to keep up. I don't care if she lives or dies today, I care about the long term victory.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A - 4
B - 5
D - 2
E - 1

Will close and update within 12 hours. We'll try to keep the daily update schedule going for this week.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By the way, before I post the update, I'd like to point out that the subject of Taketatsu's project was already outright mentioned in a note found in the previous chapter. :lol:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Found it:
  • Dr. Bryan Cooper (IAE Corporation) & Taketatsu Shinichi (Epicsoft Inc.) – Digitizing the Soul: Can Software Observe the Mind?
It was really straightforward where to look at :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You finish telling your tale about the tree that guarded the path to the underworld. Fidgeting nervously beneath the girls’ stares, you look at the ground. Even as you spoke the words, you could tell how unbelievable it must have sounded. Maeda looks like she thinks it has all been a waste of time, while Uehara seems expectant, waiting for you to say more. When you do not, she asks, “That is it?”

“Yes,” you nod.

“You didn’t find anything else at the tree?”

“…no. I found nothing. I gave the tree some of my blood, as the note suggested, and suddenly I was trapped in the courtyard no longer.”

“Really?” Uehara asks, staring up at you with her big, innocent hazel eyes.

“R-Really,” you gulp.

“What’s the point of pressing him on this, Uehara-san?” asks Maeda impatiently.

“Oh, no, I was just curious, that’s all. Shinoseki-san did tell me that he was going off to check on something… I thought that he would have returned with anything helpful,” sighs Uehara. Then, she smiles at you – a smile that does not reach her eyes. “I’m sure you wouldn’t hide anything from us, right?”

“Right. Of… of course I wouldn’t.”

“Then I shall have to take your word for it,” she quips cheerfully. “Don’t worry! It’s not that I don’t trust you… I was just curious.”

She knows I’m lying.

The voice of a strange thought flashes through your mind, swiftly followed by another.

Kill her. Kill her now.

Your fingers reflexively curl up for an instant before you force them to relax.

That’s right. There should be no more killing.

Bitchbitchbitchbitchbitchbitchbitchbitchbitch-

You blink slowly – the only sign you let show outwardly at the conflicting voices in your head.

“We should get in the building now, it’s freezing,” complains Maeda.

Uehara nods in agreement, placing her hands behind her head and walking off into the lobby.

Pawns – Pieces of the game - Unnecessary action –

“-kay?”

“-you okay?”

“Shinoseki, are you okay?” asks Maeda again.

The voices are obscured by a burst of familiar static and die away as abruptly as they appeared. A shortlist of possibilities scroll through your mind at high speed.

Hallucinations caused by exhaustion.
Schizophrenia.
A hidden metal plate in my head picking up radio signals directly.
Aliens.
A curse of the Juunimon tree.
Ghostly possession.

If you could pick from the choices above, you would definitely pick the first, but life probably isn’t that simple. Shaking your head, you respond to Maeda. “I… I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You just seemed to blank out for a second there. Look, let’s just go inside.”

“O-Okay… thanks for waiting for me,” you say sincerely. After all, Uehara had just gone on ahead of her, and Maeda could have easily done the same.

“Eh? I… ah, no, d-don’t think too much into it,” says Maeda, taken aback at your gratefulness. Considering her status, she should be used to being thanked profusely... but perhaps she does not get a sincere word of thanks all that often. Maeda falls silent and turns away, only pausing to call over her shoulder, “Come on, hurry up, you slowpoke," her tone returning to the familiar, haughty way she uses to address you.

The research facility is, to your surprise, relatively clean. There are no scattered corpses, no blood-stained walls. The only sign of something out of place is a lingering feeling of dread that weighs heavily on your shoulders, and the shadows seared into the white walls; black, human-like forms that seem to have been painted onto the once pristine walls. Taking that into account, you are unsure whether this place is worse than the gory spectacle of the main building. You cast your gaze down, examining the coloured lines painted onto the walls and floor. Every now and then there are words written within: Advanced Laboratories. Research Laboratories. Imaging Department. Auditorium. Administrative Offices. These lines must serve as guides. If you follow them, you can probably get to their respective areas. The data that you are looking for would probably be found in the laboratories, but perhaps it would be quicker to search the administrative offices to get an idea of what can be found where.

“The last time I was here, a keycard was needed to get into the laboratories on the top floor,” says Maeda. “We won’t be getting in without one, either. Shinichi would have had a guest card, but he isn’t here with us…” If she is right, there are not many ways you can get around that – you can’t exactly pick an electronic lock with an improvised pin.

“Should we go around searching for a card?” asks Sakimura. “Mori-san?”

“Hm? Ah, yes. Of course. That would be the right course of action, yes.” Mori’s reply comes a second later; the man seems to be preoccupied with something else. Ever since you returned to the lobby, where that shrine had been set up, his attention has been wandering. His eyes are darting around when he thinks nobody is looking, trying to seek out something that he has not yet found. Even though he is evidently feeling disturbed, the grim expression on his face – which has taken on a sickly pallor in the harsh white lighting of the building, almost reminiscent to that of a corpse – indicated that he did not want to be bothered.

You recall that you still have Dr. Usui’s staff card in your pocket. He was assigned to the general wards; you highly doubt that it would work on the laboratory doors. Still, perhaps it couldn’t hurt to try…

03:15

A. Head up to the laboratories and test out Dr. Usui’s card first. If it works, you should count yourself lucky, and if not, you can always proceed to search for another way to gain access. It shouldn’t take too much time.

B. Conduct a general search of the building, as Sakimura suggested – someone might have left their card lying around, or you might come across another way to gain access to the laboratories. There might also be more helpful information in the other parts of the building besides what you can find in the laboratories.

C. Proceed to the administrative offices. You might be able to find some general information about the projects taking place here there; nothing detailed about the experiments, obviously, but it could help. If the computers are working, you might also be able to access the security framework for this building and disable the locks remotely.

D. If the locks are electronic, they will disengage when the fire alarm system activates. You have alcohol. Alcohol is flammable. You have a lighter. You set a fire. Simple.

E. You resist the urge to commit arson and smash the nearest fire alarm box to probably achieve the same effect without getting yourself wet.

F. Head outside and attempt to climb up the walls. The building is pretty high, but you should be able to get in where you want from the windows.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, congratulations on deceiving and alienating further the people who may have become our allies. :salute:

A separate congratulation to Lambchop19 who, in a bid to become Liam Neeson, have not only unlocked an assassin's skillset, but also picked up a whole new passenger while at it.
How naïve. If you were the murderer they were talking about, you would take this chance to close the distance and take them by surprise. It would only take a single, accurate pass to jab the thermometer hidden in your side pocket – perfect length for the job – deep into Sakimura’s ear and break it off, disrupting his sense of balance, and then stab the flashlight – aluminium and rigid enough – into Uehara’s eye. While she is still reeling, you can then fling the stethoscope – that damned stethoscope – around Sakimura’s neck and haul him across your back, lifting his feet off the ground and strangling him effectively. The rubber tubing will hold well enough. And then… well, they are lucky you aren’t the murderer.
The Juunimon is a sacred tree. Trees are made of wood. Wood burns. You have a bottle of alcohol and a lighter. The answer is obvious. You burn the tree down.
Kill her. Kill her now.
If the locks are electronic, they will disengage when the fire alarm system activates. You have alcohol. Alcohol is flammable. You have a lighter. You set a fire. Simple.
Not only they are a full-blown psycho, but they communicate in italics.

Purge the xeno! :flamesaw:

Seriously, though, a healthy dose of "Murder! Death! Kill! Muahahaha!!" never hurt anybody, but I dislike the idea of being controlled by it, and our twitching fingers, eager to snap someone's neck just because we've been a shitty liar, make me uneasy. Not to mention our newfound pyromaniac tendencies.

Fuck that noise, we are perfectly able to be cray-zee by ourselves, without a prompter.

As for our choices, I have a feeling that E will get us inside, but leaving the facility may prove interesting. Being cut out from the main building on a walkway springs to mind. Still, it's not like any of our options are much safer.

Me, I'd just vandalise the lock to prevent the doors from closing again, but why do I have a feeling that such a possibility won't cross the minds of our characters?

E. Vive la resistance! :salute:

As for the identity of the voice - I have no idea, but it is not the first time we encounter it. I am fairly sure the thought about abandoning Mitsuki in the toilet belonged to it, and there may have been more occasions that I've missed. My current pet theory - which is fully unsubstantiated - is that we give it more power the more memories we awaken.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Me, I'd just vandalise the lock to prevent the doors from closing again, but why do I have a feeling that such a possibility won't cross the minds of our characters?

Because there won't be a problem opening the door from the inside?

Barring any supernatural force holding it shut, of course.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh? I thought those electronic locks required the card to get both in and out. Good to know, then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's controlled from within by switches, so you'll just need to worry about getting in.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Maeda didn't suspect us, so she was not alienated, but Uehara knew based on the information. Also, she very much wanted the charm. We should watch our back around her as she will likely try to take it in the near future. Nevill, you assume that Uehara is a potential ally. What if she is another competitor in the game? Her knowledge of what is going on without saying anything and her willingness to manipulate us rather than tell us the truth makes her untrustworthy. Heck, she was waitingn OUTSIDE the building for us in the freezing cold. That tells me she probably wanted to talk to us alone, perhaps so that she could rob us of the charm and run off again. Or worse.

Again, we should watch our back.

This is why I did not want to tell them anything yet. We could have waited. There was no rush to reveal it. Heck, we could still reveal it and explain it away as not knowing if we could trust them - after all, Uehara did accuse us of murder earlier.

Also, I doubt the craziness is a result of our Liam Neeson skills alone. We had the signs before this.

I… this caliber might skid off the skull, so I should…

You raise the revolver in a single smooth motion and fire without warning.

Taketatsu’s right eye explodes in a burst of blood and black goo, and he falls backwards, a puzzled grin on his face.

You close the distance until you are standing over his twitching body. Blood is pouring from his nostrils and mouth. Under his shattered glasses, his remaining good eye is darting jerkily in random directions, his mouth muttering random syllables. His brain is scrambled. Absent-mindedly, you gently massage your aching left thigh.

There is no point in wasting the last bullet on him, you think.

Your next thought is, why am I smiling?

The panic hits you as you suddenly realize what you have done. You shot Taketatsu. You smiled about it. Falling on your butt, you let the gun drop from your trembling fingers, suddenly fearful of the weapon. Whatever made you decide to shoot him?

I should have shot him earlier.

I think it is a result of picking ANY of the skills and it will only get much worse if we continue to pick them. The very fact that the Liam Neeson choice was worded the way it was, was another sign we were slipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, she very much wanted the charm.
Yes. Why is that a bad thing? Why is having a charm a good thing?

We should watch our back around her as she will likely try to take it in the near future.
Sure, if she learns we have it. Because we are trying to trick her. Why is that?

It is easier to attribute an ulterior motive to our actions than to think we are being a dick just for fun.

If we told her outright we have it, we didn't have to give it to her unless she explained why she needed it, you know? Instead we are trying to play hide and seek with someone who knows a little about what is happening and has reasons not to consider us a friend unless we prove otherwise (because of our ties with Maeda/Kaimei and because of something that makes Mori equally suspicious of us).

We are acting shady, like one of the bad guys, and then have the audacity to protest when the others suspect us.

Nevill, you assume that Uehara is a potential ally. What if she is another competitor in the game?
What game? What are the rules? What is the prize?

You do not know, but you will behave as if the others are competitors anyway.

Her knowledge of what is going on without saying anything and her willingness to manipulate us rather than tell us the truth makes her untrustworthy.
Manipulate us? When?

Oh, and look at who is talking about being untrustworthy. :lol: What exactly have you done to earn her trust? I can name a few things you did that would lose it.

She does not say anything because we aren't making an effort to ask and prove that it is would be worth answering us in good faith.

Heck, she was waitingn OUTSIDE the building for us in the freezing cold. That tells me she probably wanted to talk to us alone, perhaps so that she could rob us of the charm and run off again. Or worse.
Yes, and it has nothing to do with that we addressed her specifically when we said we saw something, and nothing to do with that we are able to sense something she thought only she could. How suspicious! Kill her! KILL HER!!! BitchbitchbitchBITCH!!1!1

Again, we should watch our back.
Yep. That's what you get when you are trying your best to appear dodgy.

Heck, we could still reveal it and explain it away as not knowing if we could trust them - after all, Uehara did accuse us of murder earlier.
:lol:

She did? Really? Not Sakimura? Not Mori or Taketatsu?

Bitchbitchbitchbit-

I think you and the voice are a perfect fit for each other, bro. ;)

Last edited:

oops, yeah, I just checked and it was only sakimura that accused us. And I like the voice. he is a happy addition to team shinoseki. :M

Edit: as to your question of whether or not having the charm was good: one charm saved our life and you yourself implied that Uehara might have survived the first night because of the charm she ran off with. They are clearly valuable and useful. And we should not be willing to part with them until we know more about them.

Anyway, look, disegenuously smiling (a smile that doesn't reach her eyes") and lying to us by saying she doesn't suspect us, when she clearly does, is manipulative. Wanting to wait outside ALONE so she can ask us about the charm is suspicious.
“Maeda-san, I did tell you to go ahead and leave the waiting to me,” laughs Uehara. “You didn’t have to come back out and stay with me.”
And usually when someone takes something from you and runs without an explanation - only an apology that implies she has harmed us in the taking of it - they are not to be completely trusted and should be treated with at least some suspicion.

Even the idiot Maeda picked up that pressing us and asking if we found something else over and over was odd. Honestly, if she was really just waiting to see what we found because we told her (which I don't believe we really did tell her) that we saw something, why would she so strongly suspect we found something else?

she's being a manipulative bitchbitchbitchBITChkilllllllllheeeeeeeeeRrrreheheheheheeee! +M

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as lambchop but there's no reason thus far to just open up to Uehara and basically say 'here, have the charm if you need it, i'm sure you know better than me about what's going on, you know, the last time you ran off and doomed us all, as well.' That could be the case, but we don't know yet. At least, we have now learnt more about Uehara - either she remembers previous nights and has found out about the necessity of charms, or she knows about them from before this timewarp and her mission is to find them. Either way, she knows something about this situation that we don't, and perhaps we can find out - maybe we can get some info out of her later in exchange for the charm, at least.

As to the current choice, I worry that E will permanently open the doors and call the undead - or potentially release them from elsewhere in the building. Still, it's an option. C>B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom