Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

TOME

Cuckmaster General
AAB - Cash can be used in vendor machines to get food.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm down with a minor bug and finding it hard to concentrate, I'll try to update over the weekend.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And once again the codex predictably goes with the high risk high reward option. (relatively speaking) Let's hope it pays off and doesn't blow up in our faces...again.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Correction: the 'Dex goes for the high risk unknown reward option (unless you think having a stethoscope is highly rewarding). That makes it all the more spicy.

Whatever, I am just worried about how much the events of each night differ from each other (if at all) when left to develop without our input, and whether or not we should hurry to check the toilet Mitsuki is in.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, just hold on till I decide whether or not to stuff the stethoscope down Shinoseki's pants before I can proceed with the rest of the update. That question's been nagging at me all weekend.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
“I didn’t kill anyone. I just… woke up in this room, and the body was already there.” You attempt to explain yourself, but the students remain doubtful. They look at the blood-stained gloves on your hands, at the nervous expression on your face, and at the stethoscope hanging halfway out of your back pocket; it had been too large to stuff into the pocket completely.

“Don’t make any sudden moves, you hear me?” warns Sakimura as he backs away from you slowly, shielding Uehara behind him in a protective manner. “If you just woke up, then explain the blood on your hands!” He throws the accusation at you fiercely, with just the slightest waver in his voice; whatever you think of him, he is at least brave enough to address you as rudely as he would his peers.

“I was…” You shake your head, trying to find the words to explain your actions without inflaming the situation even further. “I was just looking at the body. I wanted to find out how he died.”

“Oh yeah? How did he die, then?”

“He was shot.”

“And I’m supposed to take your word for it?”

“N-no,” you admit. You manage an awkward, half-hearted laugh that you hope comes off friendly before saying, “But you can come over and take a look, if you don’t want to take my word for it.”

Your offer is met with a silence tinged with worry. Something deep within you coils in satisfaction at the result, as if you are taking pleasure in meanly distressing the boy. It is unpleasantly pleasant – a serpentine thought that you had never imagined would exist in your mind. You swallow the guilt before it shows on your face.

After a short deliberation, he responds, somewhat nervously. “Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll… be keeping my distance. If you were just investigating the doctor, why did you take his stuff then?”

“O-oh, you mean… this?” You turn around, following his glance to the bulky stethoscope. “It could be useful… I think?”

“You think?”

“I mean… it’s like… you know…. right, Dragon Quest? Isn’t it better to take everything you come across? You might find something that might be useful in the future, and don’t need to backtrack all the way here for it.”

Sakimura blinks. “That makes sense. Kinda.”

“No, it doesn’t,” snaps Uehara. “We’re not in some RPG!”

Looking away from her stare, you can only shrug. “It’s… that’s what I thought. That’s all I thought. Really.” You let your hands fall to your sides helplessly. They still seem far from convinced. Nothing I can do about that, you think with resignation.

“Regardless of what you say… I can’t trust you,” declares Sakimura. “Just… stay there while we leave. Don’t come after us.”

You sigh and shift your shoulders in what you think to be a sign of non-aggression. You did not ask to meet them in the first place – if they cannot trust you, the sooner they leave, the better.

“Actually, maybe he should come with us,” Uehara speaks up.

Sakimura’s resulting expression of exaggerated surprise is almost amusing. “What? Why would we let such a shifty guy come with us?”

“Well… we could have him walk in front, just to keep an eye on him. If we leave now, he could stalk us from behind, right?”

“I suppose… that does make sense. As long as he doesn’t have eyes on the back of his head, it is not an entirely bad idea,” ponders Sakimura. The two students begin whispering about what to do with you while you stand there, waiting for them to finish. After a while, Sakimura looks up and nods. “Alright, we’ve decided. You’ll go on ahead of us, whoever you are?”

“Shinoseki Adachi,” you say sullenly.

“I’m Sakimura Yuuki, and this is Uehara Shizuka.” The boy introduces himself and his female companion.

“So, Shinoseki-san, if you wouldn’t mind?” Uehara invites you out of the room warily, standing to one side.

You shake your head and begin walking.

A. How naïve. If you were the murderer they were talking about, you would take this chance to close the distance and take them by surprise. It would only take a single, accurate pass to jab the thermometer hidden in your side pocket – perfect length for the job – deep into Sakimura’s ear and break it off, disrupting his sense of balance, and then stab the flashlight – aluminium and rigid enough – into Uehara’s eye. While she is still reeling, you can then fling the stethoscope – that damned stethoscope – around Sakimura’s neck and haul him across your back, lifting his feet off the ground and strangling him effectively. The rubber tubing will hold well enough. And then… well, they are lucky you aren’t the murderer.

B. You can’t help it if they can’t trust you, even though it is unpleasant to be distrusted in such a manner. Oh well. Maybe they’ll understand that you mean them no harm at all after some time.

Just as you are about to pass Uehara, you remember that you are still wearing the bloody rubber gloves. Absent-mindedly, you remove them – flecks of blood fly from the hasty removal, causing Uehara to take a step back. Oops. “S-sorry,” you apologize, realizing what you have done. “I didn’t mean to do that.”

“You really do not remember what happened?” asks Uehara, peering keenly at you. “Just before you woke up, I mean.”

“No… not at all. I’m not hiding anything, Uehara-san” you mutter, dropping the gloves into a nearby bin.

“Go on, walk in front of us at a safe distance,” points out Sakimura as he urges you out of the door.

“Yes, alright,” you mumble.

When you exit the ward, you see just why it is the students were so unnerved by your appearance. There are corpses lying in the corridors, in a scene grislier than the one you had just left behind. Blood stains the once pristine floors and walls: this is practically the site of a massacre. The droning patter of the rain against the windows ceases to be a calming sound, and instead takes on an ominous tone. Murderer. There can be no doubt that there is one on the loose. Breathing in deeply, you move on, stepping gingerly around what seems to be a fallen nurse in a pool of dark blood. Behind you, you can hear Sakimura and Uehara leaving the ward, following at a safe distance. “So… uh… where are we going again?” you ask uncertainly.

“We’re headed to the lobby,” answers Sakimura. “That is where the main exit is.”

You refrain from thanking Sakimura for his grasp of the obvious. “Okay,” is all you say.

Besides a brief stop on the second floor when Uehara needed to go to the ladies’ washroom, the trip to the lobby is relatively uneventful, aside from the sight of more bodies. Whatever happened here, it was chaotic and bloody. Patients and staff alike were not spared by whoever – or whatever – killed them. You did not have time to take any photos of the bodies, let alone make any in-depth investigations of their wounds; you wonder if they were all shot, just like that doctor in the ward.

As expected, there are other people waiting in the lobby. Sakimura and Uehara immediately hurry past you, towards these people who definitely look a lot more trustworthy than you, and engage them in conversation. You do not participate; moving to a pillar, you sink to your knees and listen to what few scraps you can overhear. It looks like none of them witnessed the killings happen; they woke up here and everyone else was already dead. It looks like they are in a similar predicament to yours – only that they remember more of their past and how they arrived at the hospital than you do. After some time, more proper introductions are made, as a young, smart-looking guy calls a meeting amongst those present in the lobby.

Sakimura and Uehara, thankfully, make no mention of the suspicious state they found you in – your introduction is awkward but brief. Besides them, there are nine others here.

Kayano Rina, an everyday office lady.

Sakaki Okitsu, folklorist and author.

Maeda Nami, a fiery beauty radiating disdain for everyone else.

Taketatsu Kouichi, a software developer and entrepreneur.

Sawada Junichi, a minor celebrity who insists that he be referred to as ‘Juni-S’

Okuyama Midori, a trainee nurse at the hospital.

Tokigawa Kou, a trainee doctor at the hospital, and the one who called the meeting.

Mori Akiyama, a gruff, middle-aged man who seems fairly reticent about his background.

Amanozaki Touko, a very weird and eccentric fortune-teller.

Of the motley group, Amanozaki and Uehara seem to have an instant dislike of each other – they begin arguing over spiritual matters almost immediately. Kayano, Tokigawa and Okuyama manage to calm the little spat quickly enough, and change topics towards something they think to be more productive: how to escape the hospital. After all, who knows if the killer is still lurking these halls? The main doors or windows would be the first things they tried, but those seem to be sealed by some unidentifiable means. Some of the others had suggested sitting tight and holding out for help to arrive, but none of the phones have been able to connect to the outside world. You are, for all intents and purposes, isolated. Help seems like a rather dim hope in the first place.

Tokigawa begins explaining his plan, according to the layout of the hospital that he has already sketched out. “I am going to check out the upper levels of this building. The bridges on the fourth and fifth floor might be open. In the meantime, Midori will go down into the basement and look around the service corridors.”

“We’ll cover more ground this way,” the trainee nurse, Okuyama, chimes in cheerily. “I mean, taking it easy is nice and all, but since there’s so many of us, it’s probably better to have us moving in groups. There will still be six of us in each group, so we should be safe from the murderer... we still have safety in numbers.”

Still… is there a real need to split up in the first place? The hospital isn’t that big. You do understand that dividing the group may help find a way out faster, that part of the reason for this suggestion is probably to help keep antagonistic people apart for the time being, and that you yourself would probably be more comfortable with a smaller gathering of people, but if something bad happens to one of the groups...

You are under no illusions that they will listen to you, but…

00:50

A. “I… I think perhaps it may be better if we move in one big group…” You speak up nervously, voicing your suggestion despite knowing that it will likely be dismissed. However, since no one else seems to have any issues with splitting up, you think a contrary opinion needs to be offered. At the very least, you can tell yourself you tried to participate and contribute.

B. You keep quiet. Thinking about it, you don't have any real justification for your thoughts. Even if something bad were to happen, it is probably better that it happens to only one small group instead of everyone at once. You find it a strange, cold thought to have, but it is... sensible, isn't it? There is no guarantee travelling in a big, unwieldy pack is any better than splitting up into small, mobile groups.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
How naïve. If you were the murderer they were talking about, you would take this chance to close the distance and take them by surprise. It would only take a single, accurate pass to jab the thermometer hidden in your side pocket – perfect length for the job – deep into Sakimura’s ear and break it off, disrupting his sense of balance, and then stab the flashlight – aluminium and rigid enough – into Uehara’s eye. While she is still reeling, you can then fling the stethoscope – that damned stethoscope – around Sakimura’s neck and haul him across your back, lifting his feet off the ground and strangling him effectively. The rubber tubing will hold well enough. And then… well, they are lucky you aren’t the murderer.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:bravo:
Why is there no mention of slitting one's throat with a credit card?

As much as I am amused by this Leon-esque train of thought, I don't think we should entertain the possibility of murdering our prospective waifus. Sakimura is fair game, though!

Hmmm. So is it time to try and game the system, or do we do more research? I think I want to stay together and see what happens, if only to keep an eye on Taketatsu. Besides, if they don't listen, and something bad happens (it always does), they will be more likely to listen to us in the future.

BA.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
An assassin who can't crawl a single walkway without falling to their death? Blasphemy!
FreeRun-assassins-take-flight.jpg

Elfberserker

Liturgist
AA
It's time to start developing that creepy murder guy, who does try to collect harem with varying succeess.
It might be best to travel in single large group to see what will be diffrent and partially to get protection from the murderer...Even if we have capabilities to be one.

Tigranes

Arcane
Okay. So.

1) All those bloody bodies.
2) Nothing happens in the toilet.
3) No Mitsuki. Anywhere.

2 and 3 are obviously related.

Rex Feral

Prophet
AA - this way we develop our character on a more backbone intelligent guy with the first choice and get more character development with the second choice, by knowing or at least speaking with more people.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
While she is still reeling, you can then fling the stethoscope – that damned stethoscope – around Sakimura’s neck and haul him across your back, lifting his feet off the ground and strangling him effectively. The rubber tubing will hold well enough. And then…
I must admit that I am intrigued. By that point, both schoolkids should already be dead.

What would Shinoseki do with the bodies? Why does the fantasy stops there?

Can't say I am not tempted to flop. :)

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
An assassin who can't crawl a single walkway without falling to their death? Blasphemy!
FreeRun-assassins-take-flight.jpg
Fuck that popamole shit. We are a professional.
Agent_47_h2.jpg
It would finally be a justification for all the other underhanded things we know (come on now, lockpicking and hacking) and our superb firearms skills and we will actually be somewhat armed now.

AA>AB

If we take the assassin skills we will effectively be arming ourselves as the maid suggested.

Nevill

Arcane
It is more of a character development question. The night is still young, there are plenty of more conventional weapons to be found.

Besides, if it is about the old man, I would rate a pistol a tad higher than a thermometer as a weapon. :lol:

It is more of a character development question. The night is still young, there are plenty of more conventional weapons to be found.

Besides, if it is about the old man, I would rate a pistol a tad higher than a thermometer as a weapon. :lol:
Assuming a pistol can be found and assuming that the old man would be our only opponent. Remember, we are already a murder suspect and we know that the old man can recruit humans (we've only seen one so far, though I would not put it past him to recruit more) to do his bidding.

And btw, I wonder wether or not who we were/are is set and these choices are just about whether or not we choose to remember? Like total recall or something... I mean the Schwarzenegger version, not the crappy new one.

Regardless, if it is about character development, then I'd like our character to be Liam Neson in Taken more than I'd like him to be a dope who picks up junk for no reason and then crosses his fingers and hopes he finds a gun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
If a pistol can not be found, then certainly we can have a scalpel, or one of the many tools suitable to cut a person's flesh. It's a hospital, complete with a surgical ward. Far easier to kill a person with a weapon suited for the job, all you need is a little determination.

What I object is latching on to the easiest solution possible that comes with an obvious drawback (well, I consider this course of action detrimental to the character I want to build; others might disagree - and some have already did) in the first seconds of the game.

I have no doubt that there will be many more opportunities to arm ourselves, so that argument is void to me.

If a pistol can not be found, then certainly we can have a scalpel, or one of the many tools suitable to cut a person's flesh. It's a hospital, complete with a surgical ward. Far easier to kill a person with a weapon suited for the job, all you need is a little determination.
fyi, a scalpel is suited to precise cutting and has a small blade. It's not suited to easily killing someone in hand to hand combat, not unless you have the very specific Liam Neeson skill set that you are advocating we turn down.
I have no doubt that there will be many more opportunities to arm ourselves, so that argument is void to me.
Because this is one of those have your cake and eat it too LPs and because everyone is going to be fine letting the suspected murderer arm himself with obvious weapons. "Oh, look, a pistol and a scalpel! Gee, I wonder who we should give them to?"
:happytrollboy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom