Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can't we throw all of them to the Abyss, then, for a mass level up? It's for their own good!

They wouldn't be of much help to you if they're dead and insane.

Then again, I suppose if they can't overcome a hellhole of dead spirits, they don't deserve to stay alive anyway. :M:M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So they will kill themselves as Masda did or try to kill us as Uehara did.
But she didn't, and look, now she is trying to save our life and is far more successful at it than that chump Sakimura. It all worked out splendidly in the end!

What is wrong with being slightly bonkers, anyway? It adds character.

Great plan.
Thanks. I have many more ideas if people are interested. :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Nevill it's hard to respond cuz I'm traveling but you are telling me the ghost is incorporeal, able to teleport, and yet so many of us are still going to try and stab it with B?

Flopping to D>a1 because of Treave's answer about 1 having unpredictable consequences.

Nevill

Arcane
Nevill it's hard to respond cuz I'm traveling but you are telling me the ghost is incorporeal, able to teleport, and yet so many of us are still going to try and stab it with B?
Yes, because it is a spell and/or the sentiment behind it that is supposed to work, not the dagger itself.

The whole point of spells and all that spiritual nonsense is to interact with 'incorporeal' (or, to put it in broader terms, to interact with the world in ways you usually can't).

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guys, your lack of magik knowledge is disappointing, both in Eastern and Western tradition a 'sword' is used to dispel evil, stiking to Mikkyo you can just use hand seals to mimic a sword.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Guys, your lack of magik knowledge is disappointing, both in Eastern and Western tradition a 'sword' is used to dispel evil, stiking to Mikkyo you can just use hand seals to mimic a sword.
Let's not forget that the word 'fascinus' is derived from a Latin 'fascinare' - 'to practice magic', 'to enchant', 'to bewitch' means to use the power of fascinus.

In other words, dongs are the source of magic. Swords have their spiritual properties simply by virtue of being phallic symbols.

Just whip out Shino Jr. and you are all set for battle.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Let's not forget that the word 'fascinus' is derived from a Latin 'fascinare' - 'to practice magic, to enchant, to bewitch' means to use the power of fascinus.

In other words, dongs are the source of magic. Swords have their spiritual properties simply by virtue of being phallic symbols.

Just whip out Shino Jr. and you are all set for battle.
That's quite a jump from ligare, entangle, to cocks, well, unless we are talking about tentacles.
Time to evoke
:mhd:

Nevill

Arcane
I think they invoked it on us first. Why do you think the ghost's power level is so beyond ours?
Then, a hand clamps down over your mouth. And another. And another. The wriggling dead fingers, white like worms, dig under your lips, between your cheeks, and grasp your squirming tongue. You can only watch on in horror, your words silenced, at the outgrowth of new arms from the nurse’s body. Long, spindly white limbs, like stalks of fruiting fungi, reach out for you, for your ears and ears and nose.
It is the ultimate form of magic!
By the way, rereading the passage, I have to wonder how many ears we have. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, but Shinoseki is quite likely to fall into the Forever Alone route.
Wait. I am slow.

Does it mean we have not made enough progress with any of the girls to secure a route yet and that we should target a single one instead if that is what we want?

Or was it meant as 'Ei route is the FA route'?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, but Shinoseki is quite likely to fall into the Forever Alone route.
Wait. I am slow.

Does it mean we have not made enough progress with any of the girls to secure a route yet and that we should target a single one instead if that is what we want?

Or was it meant as 'Ei route is the FA route'?

It means that Codex choices will lead Shinoseki to be forever alone. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A1 - 3
B1 - 2
B2 - 3
D - 1

Post-flip:

A1 - 4
B1 - 2
B2 - 3

And here I was hoping you guys would rush the ghost two times in a row... :M

Nevill

Arcane
You withheld our +1 Sorcery from the last time, why would we do that again? :rpgcodex:

Fool me once...

Nevill

Arcane
A hidden stat, then?

Damn it, how can we properly powergame with those? I demand feedback options, PoE style.

A. [Stoic]
B. [Swords +1]
C. [Forever Alone]

On a more serious note, I am really curious as to what out character's alignment/traits sheet looks by now and how did our choices affect it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Crawling Chaos

Alright! I knew you’d see reason! Just leave everything to me and start the ritual, Acchan. Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle…

You begin chanting the barrier ritual. Almost instantly, the head of the Nurse twists around in a way that should have broken her neck, seemingly drawn by the sound of your voice. The moment she attempts to take a step towards you, Uehara gestures with her fingers and hurls another talisman at the ghost, distracting it again.

Holding back the fear as best as you can, you continue chanting quickly, and begin to feel a light tug at the center of your chest. Your entire being unravels. Countless voices shout in your mind, all at once, each screaming their own secrets, hopes and desires. You can no longer hear the incantation passing your lips. Thankfully, before your sense of self shatters entirely, the incessant babbling begins to slow down and subside. Silenced. For an instant, you hear nothing but a ringing deafness. A spell of dizziness strikes you, and you reach out for the wall to steady yourself. Your hand finds only something soft, and slimy. You look up.

A puddle of jelly has formed on the wall; dark and translucent, its surface a seething sea of boiling bubbles, it slides down to the floor and begins to take shape. The bubbles bloat into innumerable eyeballs, the eyeballs begin to sprout arms from their center, and from each arm countless black tendrils blossom, waving like anemones at the floor of the ocean. Having spread across the floor thickly, the puddle inches forward, a crawling mass of chaos all eyes and limbs and teeth, and it rises, twisting and writhing as it begins to sculpt something vaguely humanoid out of formless shadow.

Then, it collapses back into mush, losing its form.

Uh. Ah. There appears to be some technical difficulties, Acchan. Your life force is quite… messy. It’ll take me some time to adjust to it, so please don’t look at me while I’m like this! It’s embarrassing!

Can you even do anything at all when you’re like that?

Of course!

Then do it, you think hurriedly. There is no time to waste.

The black puddle waves a fingered tentacle in salute, and rushes forward, pouring towards the ghost from behind. Trying to keep your concentration under the light-headedness, you attempt to finish the ritual’s incantation while Ei and the others are keeping the Nurse busy. Unfortunately, you quickly realize that Ei is now trying to deal with the spirit alone: Uehara, Amanozaki and Sakimura are so stunned by that horrible physical appearance that they are backing away, uncertain whether or not they should interfere in a battle between two monsters. Preoccupied with the finishing the chant, you are unable to instruct them in anything.

The twisted face of the Nurse seems to expand even further, the malice surrounding her body gaining volume until it fills the entire hallway from ceiling to floor. The brackish water has now risen to your ankles, and you are no longer able to feel your feet. A dozen white limbs spring out from the miasma, at an angle and distance far from the Nurse’s body, and grapple Ei’s bubbling ooze.

A-Acchan, are you done yet?

She actually sounds nervous for once. You nod. I’m done. Get out of the way!

Ei immediately breaks off, leaving squirming bits of her in the ghost’s grasp. You concentrate, focusing on the visage of the Nurse between your fingertips, and form a cage around her: an impenetrable ward that no spirit may pass.

“Shinoseki!” Uehara calls out in surprise. “This won’t be enough to hold her!”

I… help… the pain…”The spirit lets out an awful moan, and the darkness stirs in response. Her hands, curled into bony white claws, crash against the invisible prison surrounding her. There is a brief gleam as the reality of the barrier is shaken by her attack. You feel it as a painful pounding in your head. “Let me go… director… I won’t tell anyone…” She groans, and again she strikes, and you wince. When you do not yield, the Nurse screams a ghastly scream that chills your heart – the entirety of her hatred is now focused upon you, like a scalpel poised to plunge deep into your chest. Your feet are rooted to the spot, and you realize, with a sinking feeling, that to move right now would be to free the ghost. It is already requiring all of your strength just to restrain her.

You are not going anywhere while the barrier is still active.

“Sh-Shinoseki-san, let’s go?” asks Amanozaki tremulously, glancing at the angry ghost and then back at you.

“I’m… I’m going to hold her for a bit longer. Go on ahead.”

“But-“

Please,” you plead.

“R-Right… look, just take this.” Amanozaki hurriedly takes out a small pouch and puts it in your pocket. “There’s some reserve talismans inside.” As she backs away, Sakimura steps up.

“Thanks, Shinoseki-san. We’ll go get help and come back for you. Just hold on!” he encourages you bravely. You can tell that he means every word of it, but you also know that it is not going to happen. He puts one hand on Uehara’s shoulder. “Let’s go.”

Uehara stares at you and mutters angrily, “Don’t think I’m going to thank you for this.” With those parting words, she turns to leave with the others, and they begin to retreat down the corridor.

Again, the Nurse crashes against the barrier, creating flickering sparks of light that float away before dissipating. Your sight blurs. You feel something warm flow across your lips, trickling down your chin. The faint taste of iron tells you that it is blood – you are having a nose-bleed. Funny, that. It’s not like I’m thinking of anything perverted.

Acchan, quickly break the---

Ei begins talking to you worriedly, but you cannot hear the rest of her words anymore. You blink, trying to focus, but your fingers are shaking and your sight is wavering. You can feel the flow of blood intensifying, and you begin to wonder if you are bleeding from your eyes and ears too.

Another strike, like the pounding of a giant hammer. The barrier shatters – you can feel it giving way beneath your fingertips. Your consciousness is blown away at the same time, but even half-aware, you cling on. By some last gasp, you keep yourself upright. Still, the Nurse is free, and angry.

The hospital trembles, sending ripples through the water now lapping halfway up your shin.

Then, your arm rises. You yawn, beyond your control, as if you had just awakened from a long sleep. But it is no longer you – you can only watch, as your body dispels Ei’s physical form with a single gesture, returning her into book form as she yelps in surprise. As the Nurse bears down on you, you bite your thumb and draw blood. With a flick of your wrist, you send a string of blood flying towards the ghost, while with your other hand you perform a complicated series of gestures, accompanied by an incantation in a long dead language.

You feel the barrier reform, turning into a visibly translucent wall between you and the Nurse, and the blood that you spilt twists and wraps around the wall like red chains, strengthening it. Though she throws herself against the barrier again, this time it holds without much effort on your part.

You tap the wall gently with your knuckles and say – this other you says, in a cold, methodical and arrogant voice, “Finally. Are you listening?”

Are… are you talking to me?

“Ah, yes, I clearly have a habit of talking to myself.” There is a glint of dry amusement in those words.

What… what is going on? Who are you? Why-

“The barrier will not hold for long. Unfortunately, the Nurse appears to be a much stronger presence in this hospital than we are.”

Indeed, you are already hearing a worrying creaking from the wall – the chains seem to be stretching. It is only a matter of time before it falls.

Then…

While walking briskly away from the trapped nurse, you look at the walls and floor, where the water is already receding. “This is… Kaimei. The layout is different, but it is still Kaimei. That means the rooms that we know of are still present somewhere… and if it is still Kaimei, the Nurse is very likely to be the core of the distortion on this level. She will have to be exorcised before I can proceed to the next level.”

Exorcised? You mean…

“She has to be put to rest,” you mutter, turning to glance at the distant wall. You wonder if it is going to break soon. “A head-on confrontation will not solve this. I need more information on the Nurse… who she was, what she did, and how she died.” An angry frown creases your brows. “And of course, Seika’s sister is still a liability. I will have to…”

You stop in the middle of the corridor. Astonished, you look at your hands, flexing your fingers. You have regained control, though you are not sure exactly how.

Acchan, Acchan, what happened? Do you have a split personality disorder? I guess it wouldn’t really be surprising, because you are soooo messy on the inside?

“I don’t know, Ei,” you mumble.

A. You try to meet up with the others. They have not gone far – you will catch up with them fairly quickly if you run. You need to tell them that they should find a way to exorcise the nurse. Besides, they are probably waiting for you: you are their leader, after all, even though you haven’t shown much of your leadership skills so far.

B. You do not meet up with the others and begin exploring on your own. You don’t trust yourself at the moment. If you lose control while around them, things could get dangerous, especially considering those words about Uehara. It would be easier for you to explore the area without having to constantly look out for them.

Baltika9

Arcane
A
Interesting development. Out if curiosity, would stabbing the ghost have worked?

Nevill

Arcane
A spell of dizziness strikes you, and you reach out for the wall to steady yourself. Your hand finds only something soft, and slimy. You look up.
Did we just grope Ei?

Looks like it also increased our bond with her. We should do this more often, maybe it will help soothe Uehara's heart, too.

I suspected these thoughts belonged to Juuzo, but with this new information I have to admit that it is more likely that it involves Seiji and Seika.

I wonder, then, if he isn't our 'core' personality, but just another one of the voices. Which one, though? The one who said to kill Uehara (should we refer to her as Shizuka now? since Uehara is a family name), or the one who told us she is in her way? Or none of those?

I feel like we are going to have a battle for our identity in the nearby future.
ITZ happening, and faster than I have hoped for.

So this is Seiji. He certainly fits what we know of the guy from Uehara's and Mori's perception of him. And he wants Uehara dead or otherwise out of the way. Was it him who killed her and Amanozaki during the first night? Was it him who talked to Taketatsu?

Something does not quite fit, though. This man talks about Seika in a way that a Practical Incarnation would talk about Deionarra. But we know (?) that Seiji was madly in love with her.

Could this be someone else's personality? Could it be that Seiji already had a fragmented psyche by the time his romance with Seika began? Could he have participated in a similar project before?

We need to warn the others. And there is still Kozaka, Murano and their curse to sort through.

While I don't trust myself at all, I think going through the hospital alone will make us rely on him more and give him more power as we weaken. If he thinks Uehara is a liability for him, maybe sticking closer to her will foil his plans? Of course, it also puts her in a great danger, so there is that.

A.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Out if curiosity, would stabbing the ghost have worked?
It could have, we just would have needed to let our imaginary friend Liam sort it out for us. Of course, then he we would have stabbed everyone else, because if they can't protect themselves from a puddle of dirty water, they clearly are unworthy of our leadership.

They were lucky to get away before Nii-san graced us with his presence. :cool:

Kipeci

Arcane
Let's go for A. If we're lucky, our significantly more competent alternate mind will murder Uehara before she kills us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom